The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 5, 2014, 12:08 AM   #76
2ndchance

For longevity, the Dillon will serve you better. I also use a RCBS rock chucker to full length size my rifle brass and to form my 300AAC brass. Once all cases are prepped, I switch to my 550 to load. The Dillon powder measure works well with most powders and I load my Vmax 223 with it.

Hornady LNL is good but Hornady stuff just doesn't seem to last as long. Besides, Dillons No B.S. warranty is amazing. My 550 was purchased in 1992. I've loaded over 400,000 rounds with it and its still going strong. Well worth the investment.
Old May 5, 2014, 07:56 AM   #77
Real Gun

Quote:
For longevity, the Dillon will serve you better. <>

Hornady LNL is good but Hornady stuff just doesn't seem to last as long<>
How would anyone know these factoids to be true?

Quote:
Besides, Dillons No B.S. warranty is amazing. My 550 was purchased in 1992. I've loaded over 400,000 rounds with it and its still going strong. Well worth the investment.
How can we say that warranties are so different from one company to another? A great warranty can be an excuse for quality by rework or replacement. I don't need a gift from a reloading press company, when the need for replacement is my fault or is due to the wear with normal use.

Last edited by Real Gun; May 5, 2014 at 02:28 PM.
Old May 5, 2014, 11:13 AM   #78
GWS

Realgun, I understand that and agree, but it is what it is. I wouldn't worry about the "gifts." You pay for them in the price of the original equipment (they are betting on their quality control to limit most of the gifting)......which is partly why Lees are cheaper than the other three. Warranty is shorter, and gifts are fewer.......yet amazingly customer service is still way better than computer or electronic service.

No B.S. service is not Dillon's exclusive. RCBS provided it long before Dillon started production......and Hornady emulates the concept pretty well also these days.

Last edited by GWS; May 5, 2014 at 11:22 AM.
Old June 6, 2014, 07:05 AM   #79
Doc Hoy

Took the plunge

Went with the Dillon XL 650 from eVil bay/Red's Trading post in Idaho.

599.00 delivered set up for .45ACP. I already have the dies.
Old June 6, 2014, 08:25 AM   #80
mnoirot64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Hoy View Post
Went with the Dillon XL 650 from eVil bay/Red's Trading post in Idaho.

599.00 delivered set up for .45ACP. I already have the dies.

Enjoy!
Old June 6, 2014, 08:52 AM   #81
Beginner 1960

Don't u just love geting new fun stuff enjoy!!!
Old June 6, 2014, 10:04 AM   #82
Doc Hoy

I call myself an embarrassing tightwad. And I pretty much am.

But in this case I spent a little extra money for a press with a very good reputation... a cut above...(as I understand it) and I am not even certain I will really use the press to its full extent.

I don't shoot that much, therefore I don't reload in what one might call "bulk".

So, I guess my tightwaddedness does not extend to buying new toys.
Old June 6, 2014, 09:27 PM   #83
grumbles

progressive press

I own and use a Dillon RL550. it is a manual index, but that can be an advantage if you are new to progressives, Easy to catch and correct a mistake, Even I make mistakes. Dillons are good presses, and the service is top notch. Won't badmouth Hornady or RCBS, they seem to good presses from those I know who use them. the LEE presses (Richard Lee got his add copy from the same guy who wrote for the Herter's people) are something else, Most of the problems I've seen on the pistol range are from people who use Lee progressives, that said it may not be the press, but the user's. BTW I use a Rockchucker single stage and would not change it. Service from RCBS is also top notch. can't in truth say the same from the people at Lee