The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 2, 2017, 06:01 PM   #1
Deaf Smith

Why can't the shell defector on the AR be a rear sight?

Think about it. The shell deflector on ARs have a small 'V' cut into it and on the forearm a flip up front sight with windage and elevation adjustments.

Has this been done before?

Deaf
Old November 2, 2017, 06:50 PM   #2
Double Naught Spy

You should be the first to do it. Take many pics!
Old November 2, 2017, 07:13 PM   #3
rickyrick

Sounds kinda gangster.

But, probably could be done if you really want to.
Old November 2, 2017, 07:24 PM   #4
MagnumWill

Clever, but it seems super low. Just picked up mine and in order to get a “sight picture” I essentially have to put my nose on the back of the stock... unless you’re looking at it differently... I think it would be good to modify one and machine one picatinny rail slot on it for a small red dot or something... but then your RMR would take an errant case mouth to the glass...
Old November 2, 2017, 08:21 PM   #5
turtlehead

Cheek weld?

There are these. https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/prod...fType=&from=fn
Old November 2, 2017, 08:26 PM   #6
stagpanther

Should be no problem with the buttpad welded to your nose.
Old November 2, 2017, 10:18 PM   #7
Deaf Smith

No guys. You know how you see off set BUIS at 45 degrees. Just think of the rear BUIS being part of the shell deflector and a front sight farther up the barrel/stock.

No need for a fancy aperture sight, just a 'V' for the rear sight. Might even just drill and tap a small 'V' leaf from a marbles folding sight like this one below onto the back of the shell deflector.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/att...9&d=1509679099

It would be for emergency shooting when your optics fails or the target is close by.

Deaf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg marbles.jpg (102.7 KB, 151 views)

Last edited by Evan Thomas; November 3, 2017 at 02:33 PM. Reason: image violates TFL copyright policy.
Old November 2, 2017, 10:34 PM   #8
turtlehead

You'd probably want to re-pin the fsb after you've canted it way over to the right like that.
Old November 3, 2017, 01:24 AM   #9
stagpanther

Sorry to sound discouraging, and I admit I haven't tried it out myself--but my guess is all you'll end up with is a bigger case deflector--with unpredictable results for where the case goes?
Old November 3, 2017, 06:11 AM   #10
Mobuck

This type of sighting system is an offshoot of the "run and gun" type shooting games. How many times is such an aberration really useful in real life shooting?
If the target is close enough for this to be useful, just point the barrel and shoot.
Old November 3, 2017, 08:43 AM   #11
DMK

Quote:
This type of sighting system is an offshoot of the "run and gun" type shooting games. How many times is such an aberration really useful in real life shooting?
If the target is close enough for this to be useful, just point the barrel and shoot.
You're talking about two different, but valid things here.

In a two-gun or three-gun competition, this is useful. Aiming down the barrel without sights will not give you the accuracy needed to get the par points on the target.

The drawback with 45 degree sights is you can't use them when shooting from your weak side. Courses should be setup to practice that.

In a defend your life situation, they may be put in play as a BUIS when your optic is smashed or muddy, or otherwise opaque. You still may need to make 100+ yard shots. You need sights.

Again, the drawback with 45 degree sights is you can't use them on the weak side and you may need to.

Everything is a compromise.
Old November 3, 2017, 11:19 AM   #12
Deaf Smith

Quote:
Sorry to sound discouraging, and I admit I haven't tried it out myself--but my guess is all you'll end up with is a bigger case deflector--with unpredictable results for where the case goes?
No, just put the leaf behind the case deflector. Drill and tap. Just a very small 'V'. Then some form of matching front sight.

This is NOT for games. The idea is to have a set of backup sights that are close to the barrel so precision short range shooting (one of the problems with standard AR iron sights being to high for such) can be done quickly and if your optic goes south.

That way no need for a quick detachable optic sight to reveal your BUIS. Leave it alone and just flip 45 or so degrees for the shot. If left handed just move the left eye over and cant the barrel to acquire the sights.

Deaf
Old November 3, 2017, 11:44 AM   #13
stagpanther

By all means--go for it!
Old November 3, 2017, 05:09 PM   #14
rickyrick

I tried my rifles out, you’d have to extend the deflector or mout something “on top” of the deflector. My charging handles on three ARs I tried would obscure the deflector in any useable position for sighting with the deflector.
Old November 3, 2017, 08:07 PM   #15
zukiphile

If you cut a notch into it, it could be a bottle opener too.
Old November 3, 2017, 09:28 PM   #16
Deaf Smith

Quote:
I tried my rifles out, you’d have to extend the deflector or mout something “on top” of the deflector. My charging handles on three ARs I tried would obscure the deflector in any useable position for sighting with the deflector.
The deflector is right behind the ejection port. The charging handle is a the back of the receiver about 3 inches away. How is this going to interfere with your charging handle? I also said, "small 'V' cut into it", not mounted on top of the deflector.

Notice this photo of an AR. Now you see the deflector, if a 'V' was cut on top (that is to say after turning the rifle 90 degrees on it's side the top of the deflector edge of the deflector where the brass strikes.)

Maybe that is the problem everyone has with what I'm saying. The top of the defector I am taking about is the edge as it lays on it's side. See the photo below!

Deaf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AR2.jpg (212.2 KB, 438 views)
Old November 3, 2017, 09:41 PM   #17
turtlehead

You could just mount a set of sights on the side of the rail.
Old November 3, 2017, 09:48 PM   #18
rickyrick

I know which end of the deflector you were talking about. When I try to align that with an imaginary spot where the front sight would be it’s prett much impossible. Tried many positions.

Not bashing the idea, thought it was a good idea, that’s why I was kinda sizing it up.
I was thinking the corner of the deflector would be a good spot for the notch.

Last edited by rickyrick; November 3, 2017 at 09:54 PM.
Old November 3, 2017, 11:49 PM   #19
stagpanther

Why not just cut the deflector itself a v-notch as a site if that's your goal?
Old November 4, 2017, 06:28 AM   #20
Skadoosh

Who even uses irons...especially on AR's, these days?
Old November 4, 2017, 11:31 AM   #21
Deaf Smith

Quote:
Who even uses irons...especially on AR's, these days?
Those that have their optics go bad... those that drop their rifle and the optic is out of alignment... those that need a fast very precise shot at close range (and that needs sights close to the bore.)

Deaf
Old November 4, 2017, 11:42 AM   #22
stagpanther

Quote:
Those that have their optics go bad... those that drop their rifle and the optic is out of alignment... those that need a fast very precise shot at close range (and that needs sights close to the bore.)
And those who's red dot batteries go dead--happened to me lots of times--and is why I generally have cowitnessed irons with them.
Old November 4, 2017, 11:47 AM   #23
O4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlehead View Post
You could just mount a set of sights on the side of the rail.
Yeah, I think the OP is looking for an answer to a problem that doesn't exist.

I can't believe this thread has gotten this much mileage, and I just added to it.

Nothing wrong with thinking outside the box, but there are better solutions for backup sights.
Old November 4, 2017, 11:56 AM   #24
turtlehead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuqwrqOVGek

This will solve the problem. Peep sight on top of the optic.
Old November 4, 2017, 03:42 PM   #25
Skadoosh

Quote:
Quote:
And those who's red dot batteries go dead--happened to me lots of times--and is why I generally have cowitnessed irons with them.
Meh. Iron sight break too. And at this point, optics and irons are at a similar place in terms of durability. Hell, even battery life isn't much of an issue anymore now that PA has made available a red dot with 50K on a single battery that is as affordable as most quality folding BUIS.