The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 27, 2012, 09:07 PM   #1
kandrus84

30 round AR mags

Found some Korean manufactured 30 round mags at centerfiresystems.com for $19.99. Just a heads up, the $19.99 is the cash discount price and s&h is a minimum $9.99. That info was not provided to me until after my order was finalized.
Old December 27, 2012, 09:11 PM   #2
Mrgunsngear

I highly recommend you don't buy those.

S&W has P-Mags in stock for $20 on their site and Mako has E-Lander's in stock on their site. Both are VASTLY superior in quality to the ones at classic.

Last edited by Mrgunsngear; December 27, 2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old December 27, 2012, 09:48 PM   #3
kandrus84

Thanks for the info. Just ordered a pmag. I cancelled my order with centerfire immediately out of spite over the cash discount price thing. Not that I mind paying a little extra for using a credit/debit card but I prefer knowing before the order is placed.
Old December 27, 2012, 09:55 PM   #4
tgreening

And at reasonable prices too. Kudos to S&W for not trying to take advantage of the fear feast and rape people.
Old December 27, 2012, 10:18 PM   #5
mitranoc

I'm tempted to order a couple.

George Washington
Old December 27, 2012, 11:09 PM   #6
tobnpr

Gonna be a lot of regret a few months from now by the fools paying hundreds of dollars for stripped AR lowers...

Not much, if anything, is going to happen on the Federal level by the time cooler and rational heads prevail.

The fact that even Obama said "form a committee" was surprising to me, as that is a clear directive to "slow down"...

When was the last time any committee, agreed on- and accomplished- anything?

Even Harry Reid was very tempered in his comments regarding a push for new gun legislation. Leave it to the libs like Feinstein, with the highest rate of gun crimes, in the states with the STRICTEST gun laws, to scream for more- when what's already on the books is wholly ineffective.

Even polling shows most Americans understand that guns in the hands of law-abiding citizens is not the problem.

Places like Chicago, Baltimore, NYC, and Washington DC should be the safest cities in the country, shouldn't they?

What I see happening is that gun owners are stockpiling guns, ammo, reloading supplies and everything else they can get their hands on. When the shiznit DOESN'T hit the fan, orders will fall off (because everyone has a year's supply of ammo and supplies), inventories will be replenished and we'll once again be buying AR lowers on sale for $69....
Old December 27, 2012, 11:30 PM   #7
tgreening

tobnpr:

Don't know where it was but recently I read a piece concerning the whole "ban" thing people are worrying about. It said "I'm forming a Committee" is what POTUS does when he wants to look like he's doing something about a subject he doesn't really want to do anything about.

In typical government fashion, it makes sense.

I'd love to be able to hear the belly-aching that is probably going to happen when the gov. and the public moves on to the latest issue of the moment, and people realize they've spent thousands on what would have cost hundreds days before.

The hardest part is being patient enough to wait for it to all blow over so I can actually find parts to build the crap I already had in the works when all this hit. I'll be danged if I'm going to pay the prices some of these opportunistic ****** are trying to get while they can. You'd think some of them are trying to pay for their kids college on the back of one part.

Back on topic though, I did pick up a half doz. of those mags over at the S&W site. A bit higher than they were a week ago (at least elsewhere), but not what I feel is out of reason.

I'll remember S&W when this all blows over, like I'll remember those at the other end of the spectrum.
Old December 27, 2012, 11:30 PM   #8
chris in va

I don't even like 30 rounders anyway. Too long for bench work and the barrel has heated up to the point where shots become 10 moa clusters.

On the other hand I tried to get a couple 20rd pmags for my own use but those were sold out too.
Old December 28, 2012, 12:00 AM   #9
RamItOne

Plouffedaddy just cost me $100

Just bought two 30rnd pmags and another 17rnd for my M&P off of S&Ws site.

Had recently ordered 5 30/rnd from CTD (15.99 w/windows) but they are on backorder and have read on here where they've canceled orders to then charge a higher premium.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0
Old December 28, 2012, 08:27 AM   #10
mitranoc

Quote:
Gonna be a lot of regret a few months from now by the fools paying hundreds of dollars for stripped AR lowers...

Not much, if anything, is going to happen on the Federal level by the time cooler and rational heads prevail.

Clearly speculation, but hoping it's accurate. I stocked up on magazines and ammo awhile before the madness began. Hats off to S&W though for not jumping on the greed wagon.

George Washington
Old December 28, 2012, 08:54 AM   #11
globemaster3

In terms of regret, that was said a LOT in 2008 when the same hysteria hit. However, unless I missed it (perhaps it was a regional thing) the market flooding with low priced rifles and parts never happened!
Old December 28, 2012, 10:07 AM   #12
Willie Lowman

Globemaster, the market did flood. Every gun shop around here had more AR15s than they knew what to do with. That didn't mean they were giving them away but prices were pretty good for a year or so. Should have bought a couple 6920s when they were under $1000.
Old December 28, 2012, 10:37 AM   #13
sailskidrive

Quote:
I highly recommend you don't buy those.
I'm curious why you would say this.

I have at least a dozen of these Korean Hk Maritime mag clones and they are of excellent quality, far superior to a standard USGI issue mag. They are South Korean military issue and are nearly indistinguishable from the Hk mags which run about $50 each. Granted they are a little heavy, but the South Koreans only use first rate equipment. They have a super slippery Teflon like coating inside and out, very strong springs, and a follower that glides like it is on rails.

I can post some pics if anyone is interested.
Hk USP 45 Expert, USP 40, USP 9, SIG P226, S&W M&P9, Hk 4, Makarov, Desert Eagle 40, Beretta FS92 Centurion, Kimber TLEII 1911A1, Glock 22, SIG P225, 1943 Rem Rand 1911A1, S&W mod 64, Walther PPQ, SIG P229, Browning BDA 45 (SIG P220), Hk45, SIG P230

Last edited by sailskidrive; December 28, 2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old December 28, 2012, 10:48 AM   #14
WWWJD

I live 5 minutes from Centerfire; you gotta pick your poisons carefully from that place. The mags didn't work so well for me in my AR; lots of FTF. It was a mix bag of results.

Quote:
I'm curious why you would say this.
That's probably why; had a similar experience as mine. Not saying everything they sell is junk; just some stuff.

NRA Endowment FTW
Old December 28, 2012, 11:28 AM   #15
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
The mags didn't work so well for me in my AR; lots of FTF. It was a mix bag of results.
Correct. That's why. I would imagine they run well in the DAEWOO ARs (great rifles BTW) but they seem to be hit and miss for AR-15s.
Old December 28, 2012, 11:35 AM   #16
RC20

Ditto both on 30 round mags and I will add in the metal ones.

I got a 30 round P mag originally with my 5.56 (not an AR) and did not care for how it handled.

I picked up the 20 round P mags after issues with the 20 round metal ones my brother gave me. They just bend to easy. I got them ok but do not trust them.

the 20 round mags are fine. I would have no issue with 10 round mags frankly.

I shoot the AK with its original 5 round.

I always found it funny that the US thought they had to have 30s to match the AK (horribly awkward for combat). AK had 30 because it was both full auto and its hard to change. AR a piece of cake.
Old December 28, 2012, 11:54 AM   #17
ripnbst

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC20
I would have no issue with 10 round mags frankly
Dont tell anyone that. Modify your post now! haha.
Old December 28, 2012, 01:34 PM   #18
dascottsman

Thanks for the heads up on the S&W site availability. Once again, hats off to a true AMERICAN company taking care of buisness. I won't forget when I need me another pocket revolver either........
Old December 28, 2012, 08:45 PM   #19
BerdanSS

All these prices seem steep to me...I got a FULL usps medium flat rate box of mixed Okay and CI 30s still in the bags/boxes, with a bag of enough grey magpul followers to do each one for $7 each...I think there was 23 or 24 mags in the box. They all have functioned flawlessly.
Old December 29, 2012, 10:48 AM   #20
globemaster3

Willie, perhaps that was the case in O-Hi-O, but I didn't see it here, hence my regional clause. I'm sure it happened in some places, but its not something you can necessarily depend on.

And how much of the 6920 surge out there was from distributors getting huge orders filled when everyone was trying to stock them as demand was dropping off. I did see that a few times.

I just didn't see private folks putting their rifles on the market for a song after the bubble burst.
Old December 29, 2012, 12:24 PM   #21
Marquezj16

Glad I have enough mags for now. Some of my PMags came from S&W when they ran the free mags offer a couple of years back. I probably will not be buying any mags at the current price.
Old December 29, 2012, 03:18 PM   #22
PawPaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobnpr
Even Harry Reid was very tempered in his comments regarding a push for new gun legislation.
Ol' Harry, as much as I detest his politics, is elected out of Nevada and he knows that what gets applause in Washington will get him fired in Nevada. He might not be our best friend, but he does have an "A" rating from the NRA, and I don't believe that he's going to hurt us.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com