The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 14, 2013, 09:20 AM   #1
Boomer44

Winchester 101 For Trap ???

I need some help here guys !!!

I am looking at a Used WINCHESTER 101 DIAMOND GRADE TRAP 12GA SHOTGUN... I just started shooting this Christmas and like it very much..

I bought a Browning 12 Ga. Cynergy 30" and love it.. I have been shooting Trap, Skeet and sporting clays with it. Now here is my question...Is there any advantage to gain from shooting the 101 for Trap only over the Browning I am currently using ???
Old May 14, 2013, 12:01 PM   #2
Bake

I M O!!

I M O , There is an old saying "Beware of the man with one gun".... He probably knows how to use it....

If you want to invest in the 101, go ahead, but trying to learn two guns at the same time will take longer...
Old May 14, 2013, 07:28 PM   #3
BigJimP

The issue - on any shotgun ...is "Fit" so the guns hits where you look ....its not about one model or the other being ok ...or not ok....

Would I pick it for a primary Trap gun ....over a gun like a Citori XT Trap ...no...but you didn't ask for the best Trap gun for $ 2,500 etc....you asked if it will be ok...

sure it'll be fine ....if you can get the point of impact on this gun, high enough so you can float the bird ...for you.
Old May 15, 2013, 01:24 AM   #4
olddrum1

Unsingle, oversingle, stack barrel? You like it then you've answered your own question. These came in a cased combination set also. Would love to have pictures if you get it.
Old May 15, 2013, 08:01 AM   #5
BigD_in_FL

IF your Cynergy fits you correctly, then I highly doubt the Winchester will without some serious work to the stock, either a new adjustable comb, or more likely, an adjustable comb plus an adjustable butt plate to allow for cast, pitch, drop, etc. - that can cost as much as the gun
Old May 15, 2013, 12:54 PM   #6
Boomer44

Thanks guys for all the advise... I'm glad I asked.

I think I will stick with what I have for now, and just pay more attention to getting better.
Old May 15, 2013, 01:03 PM   #7
BigJimP

A good all around gun - like your Cynergy - is probably a better idea for what you're doing right now.

Personally my all around gun is a Citori, XS Skeet model, with adj comb and 30" barrels....good all around gun - weighs about 8.5 lbs ( in 12ga )...and it does most everything pretty well ....for Skeet, Sporting Clays and live upland game birds.

For Trap I go to a heavier and longer gun ...and I'm not a big time Trap shooter --- I just shoot casually / but for Trap I go to a Citori XT Trap with 32" barrels that weighs about 10 lbs.../ the XT shoots higher - so I can float the bird / and the extra weight helps me on the follow thru on Trap shots -- where I find that heavy a gun too clumsy on Skeet or Sporting Clays....but in Trap with way less left to right barrel movement...the extra weight is a good thing.