The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 17, 2011, 01:54 PM   #1
alan gordon

browning maxis vs beretta 400 exlorer

I am looking to buy a semi auto shotgun for trap,sporting clays.i would like to know if anyone on this forum has any experience with either of these models. The browning i am considering is the maxis 12 ga sporting gls model in 30 in barrel.
Thank you.
Old August 17, 2011, 02:42 PM   #2
BigJimP

They're both gas operated semi-autos ...and I do not own either model ...and I don't see many of them around....

But nothing wrong with the Maxus model ...I like Browning a lot / although my primary sporting clays gun is a Browning Citori, XS Skeet model, with 30" barrels in a 12ga ...good versatile gun as well.

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...rting-firearms

Remember what Browning calls a "sporting gun" or a "skeet gun" is just marketing talk ...to some extent ...you can shoot virtually whatever you want...

I do see some of the Browning Silver Hunter series semi-autos around - and they seem to be performing fine as well.

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...unter-firearms
----------------------
I have not seen any of the Beretta X-Plor models around...but I think they'd be fine as well....

Personally, my semi-auto of choice for sporting is the Benelli Super Sport with a 30" barrel ...it has a little more adjustability ...and I like it a lot in both 12ga and 20ga ...depending on what you want...but the Benelli is more money ...
--------------------
Picking a gun is all based on "Fit" ....and not all guns / maybe neither of these guns will fit you well ...its not just about picking a mfg - although Browning and Beretta are 2 of the best in my opinion.

Last edited by BigJimP; August 17, 2011 at 02:58 PM.
Old August 17, 2011, 03:15 PM   #3
oneounceload

The Beretta has a few versions around - I have the A400 Xplor Unico with KO - this is the green field gun and was the first model introduced. It is my wife's clays gun as she does not hunt.

Trap guns typically have a higher and straighter comb, but I suppose you could make this work. Beartooth, Inc., sells a kit through Cabela's and others that uses a neoprene sleeve and foam inserts to raise the comb if need be.

Even with the Kick Off recoil reduction system, her gun shoots my 7/8oz and even 3/4oz light reloads reliably (except for the cold weather with the 3/4, but I suppose I could work up a load if need be)..Right now it is digesting 7/8 oz loads and smashing targets.

The gun is listed at 6.5# - total BS - much closer to 7#. For a target gun, that is still light, but anyone reading this thinking of one for a field gun should be aware that it is a little heavier. Their sporting model (the bright blue one) IS heavier yet as it was made for sport shooting. If you go that route, personally I would skip the electronic gizmo in the grip butt - just something else to go wrong.

The guns come with shims to adjust the cast for either a LH or RH shooter and are easily changed.

Cleaning is as easy as removing the forearm and spraying some oil (per manual) and wiping it off.

These guns use the Beretta Optima HP chokes - those are only interchangeable with the UGB and, I believe, one other version, so be aware of what chokes you order if you want more. Briley makes all you want

Hope that helps on the Beretta side
Old August 17, 2011, 04:06 PM   #4
pabuckslayer08

I too have a 12ga A 400 3.5" w/ the KO system. First off its a beautiful gun to look at. However I had some issues with it when I first got it. I bought it with a warped barrel and it didnt shoot for crap. 3 feet high every time no matter who shot it. Called Beretta and there service came through and sent me a new barrel out and it now shoots great.
Old August 17, 2011, 10:26 PM   #5
LSnSC

Ive shot both. I'm a Beretta fan, but Explor is very light for a target gun.
The Maxxus had a better fit and finish. The sporting clays model I shot was a very attractive shotgun. Both were extremely soft shooting. I think the Browning would probably hold its value better.