The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 7, 2012, 02:42 AM   #1
Falcon642

Guns that can be built from scratch

So I've assembled my fair share of AR-15s in my time, and thoroughly enjoyed doing it.

So to borrow a line from Johnny Cash, what other guns are there out there that you can build "one piece at a time?"
Old November 7, 2012, 03:05 AM   #2
Apom

Ruger 10/22 ??
Old November 7, 2012, 03:11 AM   #3
BarryLee

what about a 1911?
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old November 7, 2012, 03:51 AM   #4
alex0535

I don't know if you consider it "from scratch" but if I get a Remington 700 the only original thing that will be on it when complete will be the action.

The trigger, stock, and barrel will be replaced one thing at a time. Will have the action trued by a gunsmith so even that won't be factory.
Old November 7, 2012, 08:51 AM   #5
EdInk

Have you tried a black powder kit?
Old November 7, 2012, 10:36 AM   #6
chewie146

Savage sells actions with nothing but the fire controls in them. That would be a good starting place. Also, AK-47s are available as kits. The AR-15 is by far the most friendly. Check out the 1911 frames that come stripped and build your own. All of these require more sophisticated techniques (other than the AK) than the AR-15. Also, there are machined steel 10/22 receivers out there. That's be about as friendly as the AR. They come with a picatinny rail on top, too.
Old November 7, 2012, 10:59 AM   #7
kraigwy

Pretty much any gun.

I've put together several bolt guns, all my target bolt guns.

Buy the action. Find a stock and inlet it. Find a barrel, chamber, thread and crown it.

I have a lathe and milling machine but you don't really need them. Several companies (brownells, midway, etc.) sell threaded barrels for Mausers, Remington, and other actions. They are mostly chambered, you just have to get a chamber reamer, and head space gages (these can be rented) and finish chambering them.

The quality depends on you, how much time and care you put into the project.

I prefer wood stocks but they take a bit more work. There are tons of composit stocks out there just about for any guy you choose and any price range.

You want a cheap, but quality build, start with a mauser action. They can be had fairly reasonable from SARCO or other on line outfits, Less then 100 bucks. You can get a composit stock for less then $100 also. Midway has tons of pre chambered Shilan Match barrels, in just about any caliber you can think of for $240.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old November 7, 2012, 03:32 PM   #8
EdInk

The only thing to keep in mind is whether the end result will be worth the time and money compared to buying something complete or upgrading something stock.
Old November 7, 2012, 07:05 PM   #9
kraigwy

Don't know:

There is something to be said for shooting your rifle, the one you put together your self.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old November 7, 2012, 08:14 PM   #10
johnwilliamson062

Of course muzzle loaders.

If you mean really from scratch I believe a Sten is supposed to be the easiest. Of course making it fire semi-auto from a closed bolt is supposed to be rather complicated. There are quite a few books on how to turn plumbing parts into guns.
Old November 7, 2012, 08:58 PM   #11
2damnold4this

I saw this documentary where a fellow makes his own firearm from bamboo and rope then shoots a big lizard with it.
Old November 7, 2012, 10:42 PM   #12
johnwilliamson062

This Documentary goes into even greater detail and they build a few howitzers.
Old November 7, 2012, 10:57 PM   #13
spanishjames

Quote:
I saw this documentary where a fellow makes his own firearm from bamboo and rope then shoots a big lizard with it.
Very funny 2damnold4this.