The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 23, 2021, 11:32 AM   #26
Rockrivr1

Depends on use. I use an O/U for clay games and a SxS Coach Gun when shooting Cowboy action. I tried using the SxS once for Trap and for some reason I kept mentally trying to adjust my aim as the tube was offset. I shot like crap that way. Definitely prefer the O/U for anything Clay.
Old February 23, 2021, 12:25 PM   #27
bamaranger

cross dominant

My Dad was cross dominant, the issue never diagnosed until his later years. Resultantly, he did all his shooting off his right/strong arm side, but his left eye was trying to point the gun. He struggled with shotgun shooting, especially on flushing/jumped game. He had a Stevens 311/16ga for a while, and complained bitterly that the SXS was nearly impossible for him to shoot, and seemed as if he was looking down a 2x4. I guess so!. Dad replace it with a Stevens pump.

The affliction (cross dominance) skipped me, but bamaboy has the jinx. I diagnosed it early, and he shoots long guns from his off/left side, with his left master eye running the show...and he does quite well.

He "borrowed" my O/U Lanber back in dove season, .....and still has it!
Old February 23, 2021, 03:54 PM   #28
Mike Irwin
Staff

I'm also cross dominant, left handed, right eye dominant, but I have no problems shooting right handed.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 24, 2021, 09:27 AM   #29
bladesmith 1

Here in Michigan just in my area alone there are three SxS events. Freeland in April, Lapeer [ mine ] in May, and Grand Blanc in June. Capitol City also has one, but not sure of the date. All of these are one day events with plenty of shooting. At mine we offer a Pigeon Ring [ 360 degree rotating machine you can't see about 25 yards if front of you ] , Duck Towers, Long Bird, 50 bird SCs, trap, skeet, 5-stand, Flurry, - you name it we'll try and throw it. All the SxS events I've ever attended are more of a fun event than a serious event. We even have a black powder class for a small plaque.
Old February 24, 2021, 09:35 AM   #30
bladesmith 1

The eye dominant thing - my master eye wants to shift back and forth so I wear a small dot to block out the off eye from seeing the muzzles. It's a small piece of blurry scotch tape so it's not real noticeable. It's been on my shooting glasses for about 18 years, so I don't even notice it. If I forget to change from my regular glasses to the shooting glasses I can't hit anything.
Old February 24, 2021, 12:53 PM   #31
HiBC

OK,one more time,then I will let it go.
This tip supposedly came from one of the upper crust British Wingshooting schools...Where the made Churchills,Purdeys,Boss,Holland and Holland..And people pay the price of an airplane or Lamborghini for a side by side.

What does the spot on the glasses,or the vaseline do? It somewhat occludes the the eye that is trying to be dominant. Agreed?
Thats he job we want to do.

I absolutely hate having anything on my glasses.It can literally make me feel ill
I stop having fun. None of those solutions are acceptable to me.

Assume right handed for the following.

My right eye is centered over the barrels,looking down the barrels.

My left eye is looking ,along the barrels,just to the left of centered over the barrels.

...if I allow my left thumb to stick up in a relaxed and natural position to the left of the barrels,what happens? It occludes my left eye!!Just like some crap on my glasses!!It works! My problem is solved!! I have clean glasses!!

You may do as you prefer. I,myself,am delighted to be free of crap on my glasses.

Even though you have had crap on your glasses for 20 years,perhaps you,too can be free of crap on your glasses ! You have a thumb!

You might have to risk learning something new.

In any case,I'm happy to share.I'm happy it works for me!! You may do whatever works for you. I'm still happy.

I hope if you are coaching a beginner,you will give them the option of trying this method before you put crap on their glasses.

Left hand index finger,under the barrels,extended generally in the drection of the target.Not as a pointer,not directly at the target.Its not a rigid thing.

Allow the thmb to naturally raise up skyward,so it occludes the left eye.

Mission accomplished! No crap on the glasses!

Don't knock it till you give it a serious chance,and how you have done it for 20 years changes nothing.

There.I'm done
Old February 24, 2021, 02:13 PM   #32
Mike Irwin
Staff

"I absolutely hate having anything on my glasses.It can literally make me feel ill"

If thine eye offends thee pluck it out.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 24, 2021, 02:36 PM   #33
HiBC

Quote:
If thine eye offends thee pluck it out.

I don't get it.
Old February 25, 2021, 07:14 AM   #34
jmr40

Depends on the use. A SXS is a better upland hunting gun particularly in heavy brush. They traditionally have a bit shorter barrels and come up quicker for snap shots at game that are mostly running, or flying directly away from the hunter. I like how a SXS balances a lot better and since they don't have to be broken so far they are a little faster to reload.

O/U's traditionally have longer barrels and tend to be a little heavier. They are better for the clays games and longer range passing shots when hunting waterfowl.

If I'm using a double I like a SXS. It does some things you can't do with a repeater. And the things an O/U do well I feel a pump or automatic does even better.

Quote:
One does not close one eye to aim; that's a rifle.
If you're closing an eye shooting any type of firearm you're doing it wrong. If you're having trouble with cross eye dominance learn to shoot from the other side.

Winston Churchill
Old February 25, 2021, 10:49 AM   #35
bladesmith 1

Man, did someones cage get rattled. Having something on my shooting glasses doesn't make me ill. I'm a little more manly than that. Number two, I haven't had some crap on my glasses for twenty years, just a piece of tape. Third, I have a idea where you can stick your thumb, but I won't say it here. Fourth, When I coach anyone, I'll damn well do as I please - it's none of your business. Fifth, and most important, I never made a post crapping all over what you do or thought like you did to me. In the future, please show others the respect you fell you'd deserve, Thank you, have a good day.
Old February 25, 2021, 12:11 PM   #36
stinkeypete

For a knock around shotgun I’d rather have a sxs. Baikal, stevens, whatever $300 old used thing because it just is what it is, an old heavy blunderbus.

For a really nice shooting shotgun, over and under all day. Don’t pay less than $1200 for it and just buy the 686. Buying some Turkish gun is for experts, noobie won’t understand why he has to spend months without his cheap over and under at the gunsmiths to make it right.

Win the lotto bragging rights hunting shotgun? Sxs all the way. $4000 and up. Don’t pay less unless collecting is part of the hobby.

Win the lotto shotgun games- over and under. $12,000 and up. Kolar isn’t far from me, I just don’t shoot enough clay to justify it but a premium shotgun is worth it if money isn’t an issue.

Me? My latest is a Fabarms L4 hunter semi auto. It’s got the quality of an over and under costing twice as much or a sxs costing 4x as much. I don’t love it yet, but it’s getting there. It certainly hits where I look and shoots soft.

What have I come to love? My Ithaca 37. The more kids butcher perfectly nice old pump guns or buy ugly black ones, the more precious anything in walnut becomes.
Old February 25, 2021, 07:38 PM   #37
HiBC

Quote:
Man, did someones cage get rattled. Having something on my shooting glasses doesn't make me ill. I'm a little more manly than that. Number two, I haven't had some crap on my glasses for twenty years, just a piece of tape. Third, I have a idea where you can stick your thumb, but I won't say it here. Fourth, When I coach anyone, I'll damn well do as I please - it's none of your business. Fifth, and most important, I never made a post crapping all over what you do or thought like you did to me. In the future, please show others the respect you fell you'd deserve, Thank you, have a good day.
Posts 13,14,15 were quite friendly and respectful.

But then it seemed the idea of putting crap on glasses was being aggressively pushed.

You do whatever makes you happy. I really don't care. You seem to not tolerate someone doing things differently.

I use it,it works,my glasses are uncluttered. Just thought I'd share. Do whatever makes you happy. I'm not a control freak.

IMO,its you you are getting you cage rattled. I never addressed you.

Oh,Bladesmith,one more thing . Quoting you:

I'm a little more manly than that.

End quote
Really? I'm thinking anyone who talks like that is projecting his own weakness /insecurities

And FWIW some of the toughest people I know ,as far as enduring and pushing on,are Women.How about a single Mom with two jobs and taking classes?

Your comment is disrespectful misogyny.

I can,and will respect that your experience may be whatever it is. Even if you are insecure about your manhood.

I have every right to express my experience without your personal attack.

I have no problem with you putting tape on your glasses. I could not care less. Carry on.

Something unfortunate that happens here is that when an idea is offered that does not pat another person on the back,because its different,its like launching a clay bird.Out of reflex.it has to be shot down.

Bladesmith,since you already know everything,and can't possibly learn anything new,please explain your reasoning why occluding the eye with tape works but occluding the eye with the thumb is unworthy of consideration?

But please,keep using the tape. I'm happy. Just curious.

Last edited by HiBC; February 26, 2021 at 03:02 AM.
Old February 25, 2021, 07:41 PM   #38
FITASC

Quote:
Left hand index finger,under the barrels,extended generally in the drection of the target.Not as a pointer,not directly at the target.Its not a rigid thing.
I put my non-trigger pointer finger alongside the barrels not underneath just like I would if simply pointing my finger at something.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old February 25, 2021, 08:02 PM   #39
HiBC

Fine by me.
I'm not telling anyone how to shoot.

I told a shotgun man my Master Eye had gone ambidextrous.
He suggested I try what I described. It worked for me.

Good faith ,good will,I shared it here.

I had already been told all the stuff about glasses. Even tried it some.
It didn't work well for me. Maybe because I'm walking hunting birds.

No one said "Hmmm. Interesting. I might try that"
Old February 25, 2021, 08:19 PM   #40
FITASC

Not saying it was bad idea; just adding my preferred method to the options for new folks to consider
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old February 25, 2021, 10:52 PM   #41
HiBC

No problem!
You do things your way and have a good time. I hope you will offer this Brit wingshooting tip to newer shooters as something they can try.That still leaves all other options open.

If the thumb works,the beginner has clean,uncluttered glasses AND the problem is solved. Win/Win. It costs nothing to try.

Why subject the beginner to smeared glasses if the thumb works?

Last edited by HiBC; February 26, 2021 at 03:09 AM.
Old February 26, 2021, 12:15 AM   #42
G.O. West

Unigue SxS

Laugh at me if you want to. I am old and maybe old fashioned, but if it doesn't have external hammers you can't walk behind me if it's loaded. And in the land where everything bites, if it's not loaded you won't live long. I've never seen an O/U with external hammers, but many years ago all SxS had hammers. Here's a novel one I made myself with three hammers in a row. It's a Stevens SxS hammerless 12 ga. I removed the lever from the top of the pistol grip that opened the barrels and put a barrel lock on on R.S. that swings out. I then removed the top rib and put a .22 LR barrel in it's place. The .22 and the two 12's with Brenneke slugs were all regulated for the same point of impact at 75 yards. The tang safety was modified so that when pushed forward the front trigger activated the center hammer to fire the .22. When pulled back the R.S. hammer fired the R.S. 12 ga. barrel. The rear trigger always fired the L.S. 12 ga. barrel. I put rifle sights on it and a Monte Carlo type stock. It kept me fed and saved my life many times.

I didn't have much of a camera in those days, plus the humidity ruined a lot of things.

Old February 26, 2021, 12:50 AM   #43
HiBC

Now thats some Gunsmithing!! I'm impressed!

I can't tell from the photo,did you convert to sidelocks or fit it in the boxlock?
Old February 26, 2021, 09:25 AM   #44
stuckinthe60s

hibc....the pluck the eye out humor, is a quote from the bible.

as to the thing on your glasses...its a common practice to put a spot of tape or goo on the glass lens in line with the pupil when mounted, to eliminate the double vision of the bbl.
pros = it works.
cons = it takes away some perf' vision.

hope this helps.

now...for everyone, tell me why in 1932, john browning invented his o&u (superposed) shotgun. and why Remington lost the race to pat' the o&u by 6 months with their model 32.
then lets go back to the topic of why sbs's aren't made as much or as popular as before.
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old February 26, 2021, 10:02 AM   #45
wild cat mccane

Monovision or monocular diplopia can cause physical discomfort in people when not accurately corrected. Ie, a full distance strength prescription causes physical discomfort lowered correction, an obstruction in the field of vision refocusing one eye on a correct prescription causes physical discomfort, etc.

You haven't felt it, so it doesn't exist.

Last edited by wild cat mccane; February 26, 2021 at 10:09 AM.
Old February 26, 2021, 11:01 AM   #46
HiBC

Quote:
as to the thing on your glasses...its a common practice to put a spot of tape or goo on the glass lens in line with the pupil when mounted, to eliminate the double vision of the bbl.
pros = it works.
cons = it takes away some perf' vision.
I know. I've known it for decades. People have been telling me about it for decades. I've tried it. (putting crap on my glasses.)
Walking big fields in Nebraska or the plum bottoms,it sucks to have one eye vision obscured,and it does cause me something akin to motion sickness.

Thank you,Wildcat,for speaking up.

What I don't get is not one person so far seems to have comprehended using the thumb as I described makes goobering the glasses obsolete. Its unnecessary,and IMO, a rude thing to do to a beginner. I had it done to me.It sucked.

The thumb works.
Old February 26, 2021, 12:27 PM   #47
G.O. West

Quote:
I can't tell from the photo, did you convert to sidelocks or fit it in the boxlock?
I made the hammers and fitted them inside the receiver. The original had spring loaded firing pins instead of hammers.
-----------------------

Ecc 11:4 He that observeth the wind shall not sow; and he that regardeth the clouds shall not reap.
Old February 26, 2021, 12:53 PM   #48
HiBC

Very good!! Thanks! I think I understand what you did...the basic idea. The devil would be in the details.

Last edited by HiBC; February 26, 2021 at 12:58 PM.
Old February 26, 2021, 01:36 PM   #49
wild cat mccane

I've never heard of this obstructing vision, but I was first to say an O/U is more similar to your line of sight than the sxs. It was more tongue in cheek I just find O/U more pleasing to my eye.

Just know if a recreational shooter or expert shotgunner uses a single eye obstruction, it's because they personally don't suffer an issue that is the norm for anyone with vision correction (contacts, laser, glasses) when they eyes are not both degraded equally. The consequence of an obstruction as mentioned is motion sickness which leads to headaches, throwing up, etc.

This is more normal than not for someone with vision correction.
Old February 26, 2021, 07:08 PM   #50
HiBC

Thank you,Wildcat. My experience tells me you are correct.
I still remember a pheasant hunt being screwed up by a friend who smeared lip balm or a chicken leg or some BS on my glasses. The fun was over,and in the middle of nowhere there was no rubbing alcohol or hot water and Dawn soap to degrease the lense.

If people would just pick up a shotgun and try the thumb occlusion,they will see it can work.

It only lasts as long as the shotgun is mounted. No getting queasy.

IMO,greasing a beginner's glasses when there is a no cost alternative that the shooter always has available is ........well,it may have been well-intentioned. I grant that. But now that an option is known,its a rude,abusive thing to do to a beginner. It takes the fun away.