The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 12, 2016, 02:20 PM   #1
.50cal packer

All credit to FrankenMauser!

This popped into my head, after reading a post, FrankenMauser wrote. It had to do with which gun/s you haven't drawn blood with. That post, sparked interest with me, after many replies about, how many times people took "that gun," out with them and they shot minute of barn at critters, yet on paper, felt good about hunting with it.

So this thread, is about how many practice rounds do you shoot "regularly," before you say, this gun is ready for the field?

For me, it ranges from 100-150 rounds. It starts with sighting it in, using a few different bullet grains. Then standing, kneeling and prone positions. Then getting a windy day, to try them out again. Where do you guys stand on bullet count, before field play?
IT SEEMS TO ME, LIKE ALL THESE NEW GUYS THINK...
Old August 12, 2016, 03:40 PM   #2
Mobuck

"So this thread, is about how many practice rounds do you shoot "regularly," before you say, this gun is ready for the field? "

FIVE
Old August 12, 2016, 03:57 PM   #3
hooligan1

Let's just say, by the time opening mornin arrives, I have made a sound judgement and my confidence runs at a high level. Usually I make 3 trips to range per month before season, and it resumes after season, rnd count? I could only guess how many rounds I practice or test.......couple hundred probably.....yep..
And FrankenMauser did bring up a good topic, as sometimes it seems I couldn't pick just one rifle unless I'm tagged out first day, so sometimes I can get 3 to 4 different rifles to the field, usually just one...
Old August 12, 2016, 04:26 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

Long winded, but I'll leave what I typed...

On something new to me or highly modified, 20-100+ rounds. It really depends on the firearm - rifle, handgun, cartridge, action type, "teething problems", etc.

I tend to buy/use a lot of very similar rifles and top then with similar or identical sight options. So going from say my .30-06 Marlin XL7 to a .35 Whelen Marlin XL7 isn't much of transition. In that particular example, the only real differences are recoil and scope magnification.

For minor reconfigurations or modifications (scope change, stock change, etc.), I might only shoot 5-20 rounds. If it performs like it used to, I'm good with it.

And for the yearly, "pull out the stuff that hasn't been shot since last year, to make sure it's good for hunting season" ... I might check some zeroes. Or I might not. My Ruger 77 Mk II .270 hasn't been fired in several years. It has proven itself in the past and I still trust it. I'd be willing to head out after deer or elk without firing it, and have no worries.

My own comfort with the firearm can be a big factor, as well. If I just can't get 'warm fuzzies' behind the trigger, due to comfort or proficiency, then I'm not likely to be very motivated to take it hunting.

My .35 Whelen went out last year with fewer than 30 rounds through it. Brand new "Savage" barrel on a Marlin action, shooting handloads that were put together in 2009. But, as mentioned above, I was already familiar with the model and the handload happened to work out very nicely.

The custom Marlin 336 .30-30 project (which came to me already well-worn), however, has already had 80 rounds through the original barrel, another 40-50 rounds through the modified barrel, and will get a future 80-100 rounds before I'm even done with the project. And then it's time to work with some different bullets...
The Marlin is a bit of a special case, since I wanted to document accuracy and velocity changes with the barrel modifications. But it has already given me great insight into the rifle and I'm very comfortable behind it (though I'll have to readjust when I fit the new stocks).
Old August 12, 2016, 05:17 PM   #5
Gunplummer

Hard to tell. If a re-barrel, iIcan go through a lot of rounds working up a load. If it is "Old Trusty", usually four. One to foul the barrel, the rest to make sure nothing moved.
Old August 12, 2016, 05:29 PM   #6
Bayoubulldog

New rifles get a couple boxes during sight in and practice. Old rifles get a few rounds (3-10) for sighting and verification of zero.

Unless I'm working on a new handload.... then who knows?!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Old August 12, 2016, 08:46 PM   #7
979Texas

Its rare that I ever have to do that. The last time I have done that was 3 years ago and that was just because I had switched scopes and needed to sight it in, But it took less than 10 rounds. But I rarely ever target shoot, ESPECIALLY with my rifles. I'm a poor man who doesn't reload so when I shoot, its to kill. Now if something happens that leads me to believe that my scope could be off, which again is very rare and hasn't happened in 5 years. Then I will go shoot 3-5 rounds and see if it is on sight or not. Then if it is off sight then it will take a few more rounds to get it back to a zero.

I will say this though back when I was a young kid and we used to shoot alot of cheap Simmons scopes, those scopes would take forever and multiple sessions to sight in. We could never work those scopes up to a zero.
Old August 12, 2016, 09:17 PM   #8
tahunua001

for me it has nothing to do with the gun shooting minute of barn from inside the barn and everything with me doing it.

if I can't sight in in a box or less I lose patience with it fast. if I can get it on paper in a box, and inside a 50 cent piece within another box, I am happy. I then move to phase 2, testing my hunting load. if I can't find a hunting load that can keep that same 50 cent peice group, then I don't hunt with it. if I can then I move to phase 3, testing the actual ballistics of said round. if the bullet performs poorly, then I go back to phase 2 with a different load. ideally I have gone hunting with as little as 20 rounds through a gun and have rarely taken any out that required more than 100 to meet the critera above.

my never have drawn blood guns are often ruled out due to accuracy issues like my mosin nagants, 1895 mannlicher(keyholes to boot), dpms AR, etc etc. the ones I do hunt with range from a 9mm ar15, to a 116 year old swedish mauser, to a 300 weatherby mag. the ones that draw blood tend to be the ones I have something to prove with.
Old August 12, 2016, 09:42 PM   #9
Jim567

If I can't shoot an eyeball out at 100/150 yards I don't want the weapon.
Unless it an AK.
Or a pistol.
Old August 12, 2016, 09:56 PM   #10
Boogershooter

If everything goes correctly I use 15 to 18 rounds with every rifle. I shoot a 3 shot group at 100. If the scope needs to be moved I do it after the third shot. Then I go to 200. If everything is still decent there I move on to 300. If I adjust after 100 yards it's here at 300. That's my comfort zone. Once I'm happy at 300 I go to 400. This is the max distance on my home range and only shoot to see how bad the drop is past 300. With my range being in my backyard I have the benefit of waiting til there is no wind. Usually at first light or last light. I like to buy two boxes of ammo for each rifle to make sure they are out of the same lot.
Old August 13, 2016, 04:24 AM   #11
Blindstitch

Good question.

I have a CVA Muzzleloader and I was comfortable after 5 shots. I know that's not a big number but this would be a last chance gun for late deer season. It shot a nickle size group.

As for a main deer rifle I probably have to shoot several boxes of ammo and have no "I wonder where that went" flyers. Along with a tight group. Usually I have a main deer rifle, back up deer rifle, and a deer rifle in training.

I guess you could say I like guns but I won't take a gun I don't trust hunting. If I shoot a gun with winchester ammo and deer season comes and there's only federal on the shelf I won't take that gun with me. Each gun has a strict diet and stays with it.
Old August 13, 2016, 10:38 AM   #12
kraigwy

Since I'm a shooter, and looking at my ammo/component bills, It would be a modest estimate to say I shoot well over a 1000 rounds in practice or competition for every round I shoot a critters.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old August 13, 2016, 10:53 AM   #13
Snyper

I see no need for some arbitrary number of "practice rounds" with a particular firearm to declare it "ready to hunt"

If the sights are aligned for the load I'm using, and accuracy is acceptable for the game and distance, that's all that is required.
Old August 13, 2016, 12:05 PM   #14
Guv

Depending on the rifle between 3-20. If it's an old friend maybe 3-5. A new member of the family maybe up to a box of 20. No wrong answers to this question.
Old August 13, 2016, 12:44 PM   #15
buck460XVR

With rifles, the arbitrary "5 before opening day" is all that is generally necessary. But for handguns, it is a constant and ongoing thing. 50 rounds or so every time I go to the range(once a month or more), with each of my handguns, the exception is probably the X-Frame and even then, I probably shoot 20 rounds every range session. I still shoot more than the arbitrary " 5 before opening day" with my rifles, just for hoots and giggles, but it's really not needed.
Old August 13, 2016, 07:48 PM   #16
johnwilliamson062

If it fits me well and shoots accurately however many I need to get sighted in at the range.

If it feels awkward I will shoot until it is comfortable or I decide to sell it.
I mostly use my Encore to hunt now, so I am generally familiar and comfortable no matter the barrel I have attached.

I also use similar peep sights on all my rifles and diamond(shotgun) scopes if using one for deer.
Old August 15, 2016, 12:54 PM   #17
ZeroJunk

Been a long time since I had a rifle that wouldn't shoot better than I can. So, usually five rounds or less to get about 2 inches high centered at 100 yards. So, for your average deer cartridge that is good to 200 anyway, and further than that somebody else can have it.
Old August 17, 2016, 09:56 AM   #18
Picher

After initial loading and testing, after grouping is tight and where I want to hit, it goes hunting. However, I'm not going on a safari to shoot dangerous game...just out on the back forty acres, looking for varmints or deer.

Certainly, it goes back to the range periodically, just to enjoy shooting it. Not many rifles escape being shot offhand at the 200 meter gong.

Since my first BB gun (wore out 3) and having owned/shot many different guns over 60 years, I've probably shot a half-million rounds offhand...even shot several woodchucks and deer offhand, to 200 yards.
Old August 17, 2016, 01:33 PM   #19
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

A new gun gets as many rounds as it takes to sight it in, probably 12-15. An old gun gets as many as it takes to confirm, probably 3-6.

Don't need to shoot out the barrel before I know I can hunt with it.
Old August 21, 2016, 01:27 AM   #20
Pathfinder45

I believe in practicing with the rifle you hunt with. Sure, a lot of my practice is with a 22 rimfire; but regardless of whether I bring a 30-30 or 270 along for the day, it's gonna get a box or three run through it. If it weren't for reloading I would have to scale that back some.