The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 2, 2012, 04:27 PM   #1
raceroch

Spotting Scopes

Hi, I am looking to purchase my first spotting scope and do not want to have to go buy a cheap one to find out I need something more adequate.

I have a 275yrd range I just put in at my farm and am going to start shooting that distance weekly. My plan is shooting index cards and I would like to be able to see .22 bullet holes at this distance in fairly low light (the range is through the woods/in the shade).

I do not want to have to struggle to see the holes through a spotting scope and am wondering what price range I should be looking at and for first hand experience at distances over 200 yards.

Price range.

Make.

Model.

Specs.

Magnification (vari or fixed?)

Thanks in advanced to anyone who can help.

PS - also looking for an inexpensive rangefinder if you want to throw in a bonus answer.
Old May 3, 2012, 04:56 PM   #2
Clifford L. Hughes

raceroach:

Don't buy an inferior quality scope. Purchase one with good resolution. When I shot on several Maring Corps rifle teams, the Marine Corps issued me a twenty power, forty millimeter objective lens, Bush & Lomb spotting scope.
Wiith it I could lay beside my shooting buddy and call the break of his .30 caliber bullet out to three hundred yards. I could see his bullet holes also. A way to check for resolution is to take the scope outside the gun store and focus it on a telephone pole 200 yards or so away. If you can see the knotts and the cracks sharply the scope has good resolution. I would consider a variable because a high powered scope magnifies the mirage and makes it difficult to see through. With a variable you can drop down to fifteen or twenty power and see through the mirage better.

Gunnery Sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired

Last edited by Clifford L. Hughes; May 3, 2012 at 05:17 PM. Reason: wording
Old May 3, 2012, 06:32 PM   #3
g.willikers

Optics, in general, seem to have gotten much better recently.
Even the lower priced scopes and binoculars seem to have improved a lot.
And it can't be my eyes, 'cause they've gotten older and fuzzier.
Can anyone verify that's it not just my imagination?
Old May 3, 2012, 07:28 PM   #4
RLWII

I have to agree, even some of the cheaper brands are very clear. However, the weak point, at least on my Tasco, is the tripod and mounting system. The strength of the adjustments and the "wobble" factor take away from the clarity of the piece. Getting on target and holding it can be very frustrating. When/if I buy another, I will pay more attention to the tripod.
Old May 4, 2012, 12:12 PM   #5
Major Dave (retired)

Mine is a Winchester..

Model WT-5, 12-50 X 50 mm.

It's very lightweight and compact. Looks nice. Comes in a very attractive hard case. Nice small, stable tripod. Cost $120, new, from Cabela's.

My main problem is that it has a very short eye relief - only 11 mm. Since I wear glasses, I just can't get a big enough exit pupil to see thru it.

So, I removed the rubber eye cup (because it won't fold down - and STAY down). That helped, but only up to about 20X magnification. Any more magnification than that is hopeless - only a tiny little pin hole for an exit pupil. If I didn't wear glasses, I could probably go up to 30X before getting the "pin hole" effect.

So, my only use for it is to set it up on my bench at the range, zoom it up to about 15X, and spot the holes in the 100 yard targets. Saves a lot of walking - and waiting for the "all clear" to go downrange to check targets.

For 3 or 4 times the price, I could probably get one that I wouldn't complain about. Although using the high end of the zoom, no matter the price, seems to be a universal complaint for spotting scopes. If I was going to do a lot of hunts requiring spot and stalk techniques, it would be necessary to buy a better spotting scope. But I am more of a Range Rat now, at age 71, so if an animal is so far away, that it takes a 50X optic to find it, I'm probably not going to be going after it, anyway. Reality check, for me.

Last edited by Major Dave (retired); May 4, 2012 at 12:23 PM.
Old May 4, 2012, 12:22 PM   #6
Dave P

"275yrd range ...would like to be able to see .22 bullet holes at this distance in fairly low light"

Good luck with that. With my 80mm Kowa, I would not bet that I could see those little holes. On good days, I can see them at 200 yards.

Whatever you get, be sure you can return it easily. And I hope you are wealthy, too.

Consider hanging a white sheet behind your dark target: this will help a lot. Or a remote video setup.
Old May 6, 2012, 07:00 PM   #7
Major Dave (retired)

Use

Shoot"N C targets. .22 holes look like .44 holes.
Old May 19, 2012, 09:56 AM   #8
bigalshootmupper

To see 22 holes at 275 yards is gonna cost you. You really need the shoot n c targets. Maybe someone else will post some recommendations for a scope, but it may cost $1000 +. I'd say you want at least 50X mag.

Here is the scope I use out to 250 yards. With good sunlight on the target, I can see .30 holes in cardboard. In the shade, nope. With the shoot n c targets, I can easily see the holes all times of the day. I really like the scope as it is easy to carry to the range. The focus adjustment is really bad, not fine adjustment at all, and the tripod is crappy. But, the glass is great and the price is the best you are going to get for that quality of glass.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c...x?a=862720&e=Y
Old May 19, 2012, 11:58 AM   #9
g.willikers

It also helps if the targets get back-light from the sun and sky.
Much easier to see holes of any size.
So, even with a less than great scope, where the targets are set up and the time of day makes a big difference.
Old May 24, 2012, 05:08 AM   #10
rebs

does anyone have this one ?

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/[email protected]
Old May 24, 2012, 03:35 PM   #11
g.willikers

Did I read that right - $23?
Worth a try, what's to lose?
It wouldn't be surprising if it was ok.
Just for laughs, I picked up a Tasco kids' telescope the other day, for $15 at the drugstore.
Danged if it isn't pretty good.
On a short sturdy tripod, it's easy to clearly see the pattern in the roof shingles on a house on the next block over.
Probably 100 yards or so.
It won't be any trouble seeing holes in the targets with it at that distance.

Tags
range , scope , spotting , spotting scope