The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 14, 2017, 08:29 PM   #1
baddarryl

Vintage Kwiksite Scope Rings

Hi all. I am getting ready to upgrade the scope on my Dad's 1981 BDL. It currently has a Bushnell Banner on it with these rings. They have 4 allen bolts on each ring holding the scope. Are they generally regarded as good or should I upgrade them as well? If so that are some good rings for a .30/06? These are individual rings that look grooved right into the top of the receiver.
Old July 14, 2017, 09:27 PM   #2
Don Fischer

Do they hold the scope where it is? If so, what are you looking for? I'm guessing they have been working right since 1981!
Old July 15, 2017, 07:09 AM   #3
Mobuck

"These are individual rings that look grooved right into the top of the receiver."
Only if the "1981 BDL" is a rim fire. So first tell us what a 1981 BDL actually is.

In my opinion, the Kwiksite see thru rings are a joke. I'm not sure if the company made a direct mount(vs separate bases & rings)non-see thru set up. If these are of that type and they've held zero for previous use, I see no reason to change. The only advantage of having separate bases & rings is the convenience of being able to remove the scope w/o completely dismantling the set-up.
Old July 15, 2017, 12:24 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

Like Mobuck says, you won't find a BDL, assuming that's an M700 like the rest of 'em, with receiver groove rings. It'll have bases screwed onto the receiver.
Kwik site scope rings aren't all "see-thru". That's a good thing because they're usually far too high. Rings don't get selected according to the cartridge either. Goes by the rifle, the length of its action and the diameter of the scope's front lens for the height. 'Long' for a .30-06 M700 BDL.
Anyway, there's nothing wrong with Kwik site rings. ("not sure if the company made a direct mount." Yep, and still do.) Nothing really horrible about a Banner either. Depends on which model it is. Had a 10X Banner on a .243 years ago. Too much for close shots.
You do not need high magnification on a hunting rifle. 3x to 9x or 2.5X to 8X is plenty.
Old July 16, 2017, 02:29 PM   #5
baddarryl

Sorry for the lack of information guys. It is a 1981 Rem 700 .30/06 BDL and just looking at it I assumed it was grooved. They are not see thru rings and I have no idea if they hold, but probably do. This rifle has less than a box of ammo thru it probably. I am going to upgrade the scope with a Nitrex TR 3x9x42 that I have laying around which is clearly better glass. I have looked thru them both. That being said it is parkerized and the rifle is a beautiful blue so I may scour the shops for a old blued Leopold or something to match it.
Old July 16, 2017, 05:43 PM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

All manner of arguments about scope rings and bases, but I've used Weaver stuff since 1950 and never had a problem. Some 4,000 rounds through my pet '06 over maybe 35 years. I figure that whatever brand and style works is as good as any other brand and style that works.
Old July 16, 2017, 10:33 PM   #7
bamaranger

practical

Well, it's hard to argue with results, if that is all with which one is concerned. Results matter, but I like some of my rifles to look good too. Looks are a personal thing, but here's what I think about some.

I think some of the Weaver rings, with that big slotted screw head, are down right ugly and detract from the looks of a sleek sporter. I think euro pattern rifles look better with vertically split rings. Tactical rings look silly on a sporter.
Stainless/nickeled rings look stupid on a blued rifle. Blued or matte rings on a stainless rifle are not as bad. I like Burris Zee Signature rings and think they are really sleek and add to a sporters looks.

The Kwiksite rings are billed as a "leading American manufacturer" if that sort of thing matters. Whether or not they made your Dad's rings is an open subject.....lots of US companies outsource their products. The Kwiksites appear to be a simple and functional ring. Glad to hear they are not the goofy see-thrus.
Old July 17, 2017, 02:16 PM   #8
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I installed Conetrol bases & rings on my little Sako carbine. Prettier than Weavers, for sure.
Old July 17, 2017, 08:17 PM   #9
wild willy

Kwik Site and Ironsighter are one and the same.The local shop
used to have the non see thru Kwik Site Weaver style rings at a good price I have several sets no problems with them as good or better(not as bulky) as Leupold Riflemans