The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 3, 2012, 08:53 PM   #1
smee78

S&W 686 4" No Dash

Hello Forum Members,

I worked my way into a S&W 4" 686 no dash today, a co-worker had one that he did not use and wanted to move on and I was able to pick it up for a good price. We were both happy, I started to look it over at home and noticed that it has not been marked with the "M" for the recall so I was wondering what I should do? Send it in or keep it as is? It will go to the range before I do anything and there is no way I would ship it at this time of the year but after Christmas is over and everything is back to normal then mabye. She sure feels like champ and can't wait to get it to the range, dont worry pictures will be up in a day or two.
Old December 4, 2012, 09:16 AM   #2
parsonbw

Smee78, that would be your perogative whether to send it in. Me, I would keep it as is. My understanding (the pros can correct me if I'm wrong ), is that with very hot .357 magnum loads, the cylinder could possibly bind to the extent that the cylinder would not open.
That was also true with the Model 19. But to shoot reasonable loads, (all factory loads would be fine,) but if you load your own, don't try to be a hero and see how hot you can shoot. It's not good for a very good revolver. Just my 2 cents.
Old December 4, 2012, 09:33 AM   #3
FlyFish

My understanding is that the problem can occur not just with super-hot handloads, but with factory loads as well, with 125 gr. loads being the primary problem.

I don't believe there is, or ever will be, a premium for un-recalled 686s (or 586s, 681s, 581s). You can get the firing pin and bushing replaced by S&W at no cost - they'll even pay the shipping both ways. The appearance of the gun will be unchanged. Why keep a gun with a known design flaw when you can get it corrected at no cost and minimal hassle?
Old December 5, 2012, 09:33 AM   #4
Genepix

Please explain what the recall issue is for the 686. Thanks...
Old December 5, 2012, 10:20 AM   #5
FlyFish

The no-dash and -1 Models 586, 686, 581 and 681 had a problem with the firing pin and bushing design that allowed primer cup material in the case of certain high-pressure loads to flow back into the gap between the two, potentially binding the cylinder. S&W redesigned the parts (the redesign being incorporated into the -2 variations) and issued a recall for the earlier guns. Guns that have been sent back to have the new parts installed are stamped with an "M" in the frame cutout near the model number. S&W will still make this modification at no cost and will cover shipping both ways. The appearance of the gun is not changed in any way.
Old December 6, 2012, 07:04 AM   #6
smee78

I'm thinking I may have it done but not until after the Holidays.
Old December 9, 2012, 08:08 AM   #7
Genepix

Thanks for the info Flyfish
Old December 9, 2012, 08:39 AM   #8
texagun

Here is the original recall notice. I have sent in at least 3 guns for the modification over the years with no problems, the last one, just last month. I applaud S&W for still providing this service for guns that they sold decades ago.

"SMITH & WESSON
MODEL 581, 586, 681, 686, or 581-1,
586-1, 681-1, 686-1 & 686CS-1, REVOLVERS

RECALL: Reports have been received from the field where the combination of a SMITH & WESSON L-FRAME 357 MAGNUM REVOLVER and some .357 Magnum ammunition has resulted in unacceptable cylinder binding. L-frame revolvers bearing model numbers:

581, 586, 681, 686, or 581-1, 586-1,
681-1, 686-1, 686CS-1

Cylinder binding can cause a failure to fire. Mishandling a revolver while freeing the cylinder can result in accidental discharge.

Cylinder binding can result from a number of causes, including characteristics of an individual revolver or the use of ammunition, which does not conform to industry pressure specifications or is particularly fast burning. Recent developments in ammunition manufacture emphasize the production of .357 Magnum ammunition with increased velocity and greater primer sensitivity.

Although there have been very few reported incidents of cylinder binding, in view of our concern for our customer's safety and the reliability of Smith & Wesson products in all circumstances, we issue the following warning:

In a situation where a failure to fire can be critical - such as law enforcement or personal protection - do not use .357 Magnum ammunition with an L-frame revolver bearing model numbers 581, 586, 681, 686 or 581-1, 586-1, 681-1, 686-1, 686CS-1 without an "M" over the model number until you have had the revolver modified.

Those who need to use their L-frame revolver under these conditions prior to modification can safely fire .38 Special caliber ammunition.

Smith & Wesson has developed a modification to improve existing L-frame revolvers. This improvement enables them to fire all .357 Magnum ammunition, without cylinder binding. Shipments of L-frame revolvers from our factory after August 21, 1987 already include this improvement.

You can check if your revolver includes this improvement by looking at the left side of the frame when the cylinder is fully open. If your revolver has been stamped either with a "2" or higher number after the basic three-digit model number or with an "M" above the model number, your revolver includes this improvement and does not need modification. If your revolver bears the model number 581, 586, 681, 686, or 581-1, 586-1, 681-1, 686-1, 686CS-1 without an "M" over the model number, it does not include this improvement and your should have your revolver modified.

Smith & Wesson will modify your L-frame revolver free of charge to eliminate the possibility of cylinder binding with .357 Magnum ammunition. Law enforcement agencies wishing to arrange for modification of L-frame revolvers should call 800-458-8469 between 9 A.M. and 6 P.M. Eastern time (MA residents call 413-734-8244). Other users should send their revolvers to a Smith & Wesson Warranty Service Center, specifying "L-frame improvement program" and enclosing their name and return address.

One of the modifications to improve the L-frame revolver is the installation of a new hammer nose. This obsoletes all old L-frame hammer noses (part numbers 4702 and 7513) and all old L-frame hammer assemblies (part numbers 3366, 3378, 3380, 3382, 3391, 4722, 4723, 4726 and 4728) in field parts inventories. Superseded parts should never be fitted into a modified revolver as this may result in malfunction. It is essential for safety that you return these obsolete L-frame hammer noses and obsolete L-frame hammer assemblies for a free exchange to:

Smith & Wesson
Service Department
2100 Roosevelt Avenue
Springfield, MA 01101

Do not return L-frame hammer-nose bushings from your spare parts inventory inasmuch as they are useable in J, N and K-frame revolvers, which are not included in this Product Warning.

We regret any inconvenience this may cause. Smith & Wesson's first concern is the safety of its products and the protection of its customers.
Old December 9, 2012, 07:29 PM   #9
smee78

Texagun,

Thanks for the post of the recall.
Old December 14, 2012, 08:30 PM   #10
smee78

Sorry it took so long but here are a few pics of my 686.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S&W 686 Pic 2.JPG (167.4 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg S&W 686 Pic 3.JPG (177.1 KB, 86 views)
Old December 16, 2012, 10:46 PM   #11
pittspilot

I have a Nickle 586 no dash without the M stamp that locked up on me due to primer flowback.

It's a pain, not least because it locks the gun up loaded.

I managed to get it loose and S&W paid shipping there and back.

Winston S. Churchill

"The American Republic is finished when the Congress realizes that it can bribe the people with the peoples money"

De Touqueville
Old December 17, 2012, 12:52 AM   #12
Sevens

That's a gorgeous 686 you have there. But my eyes are still dripping blood from seeing that Hogue monstrosity on there. Gotta warn a guy before you do something like that!
Old December 17, 2012, 08:05 AM   #13
texagun

Quote:
...my eyes are still dripping blood from seeing that Hogue monstrosity on there.
Unfortunately those grips are original to the gun.
Old December 17, 2012, 08:17 AM   #14
FlyFish

Quote:
Unfortunately those grips are original to the gun.
Are you sure? According to SCSW, the 686 was introduced with Goncalo Alves target grips and the Hogues didn't come along until the -4 model in 1993. My "no dash" from 1983 has the wood target grips. I know the book isn't always right, but . . .
Old December 17, 2012, 08:54 AM   #15
texagun

Quote:
the 686 was introduced with Goncalo Alves target grips and the Hogues didn't come along until the -4 model in 1993. My "no dash" from 1983 has the wood target grips.
You're right. The gun in question is a no-dash and the early guns came with Target Grips. I bought one of the later ones and it came with the Hogues. I replaced them with some nice Ahrends grips.
Old December 17, 2012, 02:25 PM   #16
Sevens

I've got a set of original grips that I pulled off my circa '89 dash-3 686 that have never seen any use. For dead sure certain, they are not that Hogue monstrosity.

FWIW, the Hogue grip is a comfortable grip, I just can't get on board with the horrendous look. Certainly, it's subjective. My GP-100 came with one also and it was horrendous. Felt nice-- looked absolutely stomach-turning awful.
Old December 17, 2012, 02:31 PM   #17
smee78

Easy now everyone, I already am planing to put a set of Ahrends on it but being a SB I am having to order the set I want. I love Ahrends and they fit me like a glove, my N frames where them and I could not be happier. I will update the pic when the grips get here.