The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 6, 2019, 11:28 AM   #1
HK-fanatic

Help Me Find My Perfect Range Bag

I'm looking for a great range bag. Amazon is been very little help as I keep getting the same crappy bags in search results. There's no place close to me where I can just go and see many brands of bags so I am limited at what I can see online. I'm not looking to save any money here, I'm looking to buy quality .

There's a few features that are absolute necessities for me. It will need to hold 4 handguns large and small, eyes ears, 8 boxes of ammo, a few rail accessories, leatherman, small tools , cleaning stuff, tape, etc. The bag should have sufficient padding that doesn't collapse and lose air and have a really good warranty if not lifetime.

It doesn't have to be made of Cordera in fact I wouldn't mind a canvas bag at all. I'm sort of old-school that way. If it is nylon I would rather have 1000 or 1200 denier than the cheaper 600.

MUST HAVES:

>The end pockets need to be big enough to hold full size ear protection.

>I don't want to waste any space with some stupid water bottle holder even if they do call it "hydration storage". That's an absurd feature.

>Needs to have at least eight sewn magazine pockets ( 16 better) that are not made of elastic. In fact I don't want any elastic in the bag because that's that always the first point of failure.

>The handles and the shoulder strap connections must be sewn all the way around the bag and not just sewn and riveted in at the sides. Any hooks or connectors need to be made of metal.

I was surprised at how many bags don't have the shoulder straps loops sewn all the way around the bag.

>Lockable zippers. And really good zippers. I'm OK with a bag that uses buckles to close.

>Feet or some sort of abrasion protection on the bottom

WANNA HAVES:

I would like the main compartment dividers to be horizontal and if there were two side pockets in the main compartment that would hold pistol rugs that would be great. So I could put four guns in the main compartment with boxes of ammo in the middle of them, and then use the side pockets for all my other stuff.

I was almost ready to buy the 5.11 Tactical range ready bag. The layout was right and the size was right but the shoulder strap connectors are plastic and use cheap wire spring carabiners and the D rings are plastic. Every bag I've ever had that uses those kind of carabiners has ended up breaking and they just had to hold a laptop.

So does anybody know a range bag that fits that bill?
Old February 6, 2019, 12:10 PM   #2
Schlitz 45

Midway carries some that might fit your needs-I have the backpack model as sometimes I hike out to one of my private shootin' spots & it works great.
https://www.midwayusa.com/
Old February 6, 2019, 12:23 PM   #3
Wag

Great post. There are days when I get tired of carrying a range bag and a range box and still have to add a rifle case and a pistol case if I'm bringing more than a couple of pistols. I'd be okay with a bag like you've described plus a rifle case.

Subscribed to thread.

--Wag--
Old February 7, 2019, 12:32 PM   #4
Don P

competitive edge dynamics. nra has range bags, let google be your friend
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old February 7, 2019, 01:48 PM   #5
DukeConnor

I have gone through a few. I ended up with a rolling toll box. It holds plenty and it has wheels.

Lowes tool box
https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-S...Box/1000390943
Old February 12, 2019, 05:24 PM   #6
Doberman1

The Midway lage bag is really good. It is priced well too. I've had one for about 5 years.
Drago makes a really nice rifle bag. That being said, Vertx makes the best engineered, and put together bags that I've seen. I have one of their messenger bags that I use daily as well as a short rifle bag for my scorpion. I'd love their Range bag B....the smaller one. You won't be upset at all with any of the vertx bags. They are expensive, but I've gotten both of mine on sale.
Old February 12, 2019, 05:34 PM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

I'm boring. I use a green canvas Rooster tool bag with a leather bottom. It doesn't have any gun stickers on it and I don't look like I'm carrying a fyrearm.
Old February 14, 2019, 09:24 PM   #8
Rollcrimp1

Go to Home Depot and take a look at their line of Husky tool bags. They will have a great bag for you at a fraction of the cost and twice the durability of the specialized range bags marketed by gun or accessory companies. Also I don’t know about you but I for one don’t like the idea of advertising to the world that I’m carrying guns around and a tool bag is not only durable but discreet as well. Something to consider.
Old February 14, 2019, 09:34 PM   #9
Nathan

CED is what you want.....LINK

I have an ishot, but not available now.

Home Depot husky is a good choice
Old February 15, 2019, 02:43 AM   #10
10-96

Yeah, nobody over at Amazon could hear my overly picky pleas for a suitable range bag either... until I started looking at the Dewalt knock-off hard bottom tool bags.

Seriously, tool bags.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old February 15, 2019, 07:07 PM   #11
std7mag

I think you need the USMC duffel bag....

That or an Alps Outdoorz Commander X pack....

Maybe a GMC Yukon...

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old February 15, 2019, 09:44 PM   #12
MoArk Willy

Such a bag doesn't exist. Find yourself a nice pistol case just for the guns and magazines.
Then get a range bag for everything else. Look at Bagmaster for your firearms first.
They do make larger bags, of course but over the years I have about 6 range bags and none of them are perfect.
Old February 16, 2019, 08:44 PM   #13
2wheelwander

Stopped into a Duluth Trading Co store today for the first time. Got their flyers for a while, figured their stuff was top notch as they are asking premium prices, but never bit. Finally got into one today and well, this must be how women feel walking into a shoe store. Bought a pair of firehouse pants and am very impressed and no buyers guilt, but I digress.

Looked at their tool bags. WOW, these things are nice. Overbuilt, rugged, well thought out. Link below. Spent some time looking at the triple threat wide mouth and I immediately thought of this thread. The slots/hoops on the side are meant for small tools, not elastic and only the smallest of mags would fit, but this thing would swallow a dozen handguns plus gear. The weight wouldn't bother it either. Had rigid walls separating the insides, plenty of pockets/storage. They should modify it a bit and market it as a range bag. It was impressive. First time purchasers get 10% off. The guy before me returned 2 bags full of clothes he bought in 2012, still had the tags on them. They took it ALL back. So - great customer service.

https://www.duluthtrading.com/worksh.../tool-storage/

Tags
bag , gear bag , quality , range bag , storage