The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 16, 2019, 06:04 PM   #1
rebs

bore guides ?

Do you guys use a bore guide when cleaning a 22 rim fire rifle ?
I noticed the guide cannot go into the chamber but just butts up against it allowing some solvent to go into the action. As with a center fire rifle the bore guide has o rings and goes into the chamber and seals.
Old February 16, 2019, 07:49 PM   #2
Pahoo

I draw from the breech to the muzzle

Quote:
Do you guys use a bore guide when cleaning a 22 rim fire rifle ?
To be honest with you, normally I don't, even though I have one on a rod. I always clean from the breech to the muzzle and really don't need one. y bore guide does fit properly and provided ample protection at the crown area. ..

Be Safe
Old February 16, 2019, 07:53 PM   #3
Hawg

I don't but then I hardly ever clean a .22 bore.
Old February 17, 2019, 07:56 AM   #4
rebs

I mean the bore guide that goes in place of the bolt
Old February 17, 2019, 08:31 AM   #5
jpx2rk

I use a bore guide for my Anschutz MPR 64 but it does not seal off the chamber like on CF guides do either. I just got one for my 17HMR as well, same set up. One option would be to use the patchworm set up to clean the RF's but you still have the opportunity to get solvents into the action area.

I have another bore guide for 17hmr that does work very similar to a CF bore guide but I'm not crazy about as the cleaning rod just scrapes down the interior of the aluminum tube/bore guide and annoys me.
Old February 17, 2019, 12:05 PM   #6
rebs

I am going to try the Otis pull through cable and just put a couple patches or a rag in the action to catch and solvent that might leak.
Does anyone else use the Otis cleaning kit ?
Old February 17, 2019, 12:20 PM   #7
LineStretcher

I don't use the Otis but I have bore snakes. They work well. The #1 benefit to using a bore guide is to keep the cleaners out of the trigger/action. The trigger is not the easiest part to clean and will become gritty over time if you allow your cleaners to get in them.

You're thinking right with stuffing a lint free towel (Blue Shop Towels work best for me) into the action to absorb any drips and then using a Bore Snake or something similar to clean the barrel. You can use a bore snake starting from the breech.
Old February 17, 2019, 03:08 PM   #8
RC20

I don't have Bore Snake but my brother does and did and I did a re-clean of a 22 he had used it on. It was very clean.

I don't use a BG on my 22. I have a .17 rod and jag, that works to keep contact down.

I also only clean once ever 500 rounds or so.

I don't use them with my rifles either. At least at my goal of sub 3/8 MOA consistently, I think they are a buck up sales item.

I am not sure they are needed regardless. I have a hard time seeing how a brass jag and soft rod can do anything negative to a steel or stainless bore.
Old February 18, 2019, 08:09 AM   #9
jpx2rk

I have an Otis cable system as well but found that the patch holder jag was a bit large for my RF's, and was a bit hard to get it all lined up to pull the jag & patch thru. Just an observation.
Old February 18, 2019, 09:16 AM   #10
NoSecondBest

Quote:
I am going to try the Otis pull through cable and just put a couple patches or a rag in the action to catch and solvent that might leak.
Does anyone else use the Otis cleaning kit ?
I got one last year and the end came off the first pull. Junk. As far as cleaning my high end rimfires, I just put the rod in the chamber end and don't allow the jag to come out past the muzzle. You don't need to worry about a little oil getting in the action, but if you do, just turn the gun over in your cleaning vise and let it drip out the top. I've shot somewhere around 700,000 or more rounds of .22lr in my life and haven't ruined a single gun yet by cleaning it. No bull on the number or rounds, I shot seven-eight cases a year for many years. It adds up, and I'm getting old.
Old February 18, 2019, 09:38 AM   #11
RaySendero

I never clean a 22LR bore unless it tells me the accuracy is dropping off.
Now to do this I always use lead bullets - No Copper Platted bullets.

I do clean the chamber with a pipe cleaner and clean/lube rest of rifle.