The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 6, 2001, 06:38 AM   #1
Tom B

I have decided to increase my ownership of shotguns. I presently have the Winchester 1300 Defender which I like alot. I have decided this time to go with a Remington 870 police model. I will go up to Bernies Sports tomorrow to look at their Feb special. Police model with wood stocks for $359. Is this a good price? I went to a gunshow this past weekend and saw none anywhere. I want just stock with bead sight on this gun. Anything special that I should look for? Any correct way to break in a shotgun barrel other than just shooting it? Thanks.
Old February 6, 2001, 08:27 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I may be a little out of the price loop these days, but $359 seems a tad high. I suggest trying to find a used one, maybe at whatever gun shop handles lots of police turnins in your area.

Bbl break in consists of shooting. Shoot it, clean it, shoot it until it feels like a body part, and it'll be broken in nicely.
Old February 6, 2001, 11:48 AM   #3
Elmo

Is this a new gun?

Dave knows a lot more than me, but I think that's not a bad price for a new honest-to-goodness 870 Police Magnum.

The Police should have a parkerized finish, flextab shell lifter, and no dimples in the magazine tube.

I've read conflicting reports on whether or not the new Police models have the keyed safety. I'd love to know for sure.
Old February 6, 2001, 02:14 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

You could be right, Elmo. Like I said, I may not be current on prices.

Old February 6, 2001, 04:25 PM   #5
cuerno de chivo

New Polices have key lock safeties :barf:, they're screwing every segment of their market. Do the new 700pss have the new key lock bolt :barf: ?
Old February 7, 2001, 06:47 PM   #6
Tom B

Done! I bought the last one they had in stock. Does not have the key safety.
Old February 9, 2001, 07:08 AM   #7
Tom B

What is the flextab shell lifter? What is the difference? I disassembled mine last night and it is built like a tank! Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.
Old February 9, 2001, 07:13 AM   #8
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Tom, there's plenty of old stuff on the Flextab, a little research means we don't have to type it over to help you. Try a search...