The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 20, 2014, 02:45 AM   #1
tangolima

.30 mauser

Going to have a Mauser broomhandle soon. It is exciting as I have been wanting one since I was a little boy.

I am going to hand load. I've found about one or two load data. All use bullet below 100gr. I have a lot of 110gr m1 carbine bullets. Any one has used those for .30 Mauser?

Thanks in advance.

-TL
Old August 20, 2014, 09:50 AM   #2
Clark

I have a 30 Mauser broomhandle [I bought for overload testing] and 30 Mauser reamer and have made a 30 Mauser on a 98 Mauser action with a Rem 30-06 take off barrel [for shooting groups at 100 yards].
I have used mostly 110 gr bullets in 30 Mauser for handloads in the C-96 1896 Mauser Broomhandle but have also shot S&B and Polish surplus 7.62x25mm Tokarev ammo .
--------------------------------------------
14 years ago, if someone were to buy a Sierra and Accurate Arms load book they would read about the strength guns and relative power of handloads to be:
1) CZ52 7.62x25mm
2) Tokarev 7.62x25mm
3) Broomhandle 30 Mauser

By 2005 with engineering analysis, overload work ups, and metal testing on the RC hardness meter [at the prestigious Jet Propulsion Laboratory], we proved the load books wrong. We let Sierra know about it [they explained they had just printed what THEY read] and AA recanted with super wimp loads for the CZ52.
We found the hierarchy to be:
1) Tokarev [in the limit, primers fall out]
2) Broomhandle [in the limit, primers pierce]
3) CZ52 [in the limit, barrels split]
--------------------------------
Quickload calls it 7.63 Mauser.
Wikipedia calls is 7.63x25mm Mauser
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.63%C3%9725mm_Mauser
CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond or not covered by currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.
Ramshot Enforcer, Starline 7,62x25mm brass, 110 gr FMJ Hornady #3017 .684",1.390", compressed load, WSP, C-96 4" barrel:
work up..... 11.3 gr pierces primer in C-96
work up..... 13.7 gr primer falls out in Tokarev
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old August 20, 2014, 10:19 AM   #3
Gary L. Griffiths

You should be able to load the carbine bullets in 30 Mauser just fine, as long as you don't try to push the envelope. A good mild load should function the action without causing pressure problems.

FWIW, back in the day, I loaded .32 ACP with 100-gr. .30 Speer Plinker bullets using a Lee Loader in .30 Carbine to size the cases.
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old August 20, 2014, 02:28 PM   #4
tangolima

Thank you gentlemen for your input. I will be using hs-6 powder and will load it to medium hotness. 30 carbine bullet it is. I have boat load of those.

Interesting that I also use 30 carbine die for off-brand use. 7.62 nagant.

-TL
Old August 20, 2014, 03:47 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

You'll need to slug the barrel as groove diameter vary.
No idea if this guy knows what he's about, but there are a few 110 grain loads. http://www.northwest-denture.com/Mauser1896/pe6.htm
You'll need this out of my old Lyman manual too.
Bullet diameter jacketed and cast: .309' to .311"
Max case length: .990"
Trim-to length: .985"
Max OAL w. bullet: 1.381"
Old August 22, 2014, 04:38 PM   #6
Peter M. Eick

One bit of advice. Work up slowly and carefully until the gun functions reliably and quite. My 9mm broomie has beaten up the barrel extension support where the locking block mates with the barrel. It did this with 50 rounds of factory 9mm so the bend is noticeable.

I was dumb for not watching it more carefully and while it is just a bit of a bend, it is noticeable.

When I start reloading for it, I will be working up the weakest lightest load I can that will run the action since my only fix now is another barrel assembly and they are not easy to come by.

I debated going 30 Mauser vs. 9mm and chose 9mm due to the ease of ammo availability. Bad choice. Had I started with 30 Mauser, I would have worked up slowly and probably never had the issue since I would have loaded for functioning and ignored full power loads. By buying a 9mm I just fired factory ammo in it and it was too much for the gun.
Old August 22, 2014, 04:47 PM   #7
tangolima

Thank your for your advice, and I will bear that in mind.

I purposely looked for 30 Mauser as it is more original.

-TL
Old August 23, 2014, 12:26 PM   #8
SHR970

When you can find then, the Hornady 86 gr. bullet has one real nice feature for your use; it has a cannelure. The 30M and the x25 are both notorious PIAs due to the real short neck. Keeping the bullet from setting back requires that the cases be absolutely properly sized. Even then you may not get proper neck tension if the case walls are a touch thin.
Old August 23, 2014, 12:29 PM   #9
tangolima

Thanks. I think the Lee factory crimp should take care of that.

-TL
Old August 23, 2014, 12:43 PM   #10
SHR970

That's why I bought one for myx25 after a couple of loading sessions......