The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 23, 2013, 04:42 PM   #1
jimbucks

Target shooting ammo for S&W Model 29-5

What are suggested ammo for indoor target shooting of a S&W Model 29-5 Magnum?

Thank You.

Old March 23, 2013, 05:50 PM   #2
Bob Wright

A nice middle of the road load for me has been 8.0 grs. Winchester 231 behind a 240 gr. cast SWC.

For a little more Oomph! I use 10.0 grs. HS-6.

Both have been exceptionally accurate and pleasant shooting.

Bob Wright
Old March 24, 2013, 05:59 AM   #3
Ozzieman

The big question is Do you reload?
Bob’s suggestion is a very good one and I use the same one within a couple of 10’s. The most accurate bullet I have used is Penn’s 240 Semi wadcutter and you can push it up to 1100 with no problem.
If you don’t reload, right now I feel sorry for you, there isn’t anything around here for sale at all.
Nice 29 by the way, welcome to the 44 addiction club.
http://www.pennbullets.com/44/44-caliber.html

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old March 24, 2013, 06:17 PM   #4
jimbucks

reloading

I don't reload, but wouldn't object to it. I actually have quite a few empty cartridges from previous target shooting. Where can I gain informative information regarding reloading?

BTW I recently picked up Federal Premium Hydra-Shok 240 grain hollow point JHP Magnum loads for self defense, but don't think these are what I should be shooting at an indoor gun range.

Thank You.

Last edited by jimbucks; March 24, 2013 at 06:24 PM.
Old March 25, 2013, 11:38 AM   #5
BigJimP

I would shoot Mag-Tech ammo if you don't reload...their standard 240 gr JSP is a good round.

No, you don't want to shoot defensive ammo like Hydra Shok at the range for practice ..its way too expensive. But range target ammo for .44 mag is not going to be cheap right now either...
---------
I reload ....and I use a 240gr Montana Gold bullet ...and Hodgdon TiteGroup powder...but right now primers and bullets are tough to come by ...and presses are back ordered all over.....

but I'd suggest you do some general research in the reloading forum on this site...there are some good "sticky notes" there...maybe check out Dillon Precision's website or pick up a copy of their "blue press" catalog at your local gun store/ or check it out online - they make good equipment ( I use a Dillon 650 with a case feeder for all my handgun calibers) .....but check out Hornaday's website as well ......both companies make good equipment.

.44 mag is pretty easy to reload ......if you can get components.
Old March 25, 2013, 11:57 AM   #6
NWPilgrim

Blazer aluminum (non-reloadable) .44 Mag 240 gr ammo is actually more of a medium load and one of the least expensive for this caliber.

For handloading the most accurate load I have for both a Redhawk and M29 is 7.0 gr W231 with 240 gr LSWC. Sort of a mild-medium load.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old March 26, 2013, 09:03 PM   #7
jimbucks

Magtech ammo question

Found some Magtech ammo available. 200 grains. Flat nose. 44-40 Win.
One type called "cowboy ammo", another the same description but without the "cowboy ammo". Same price.

I'm a newbie so appreciate being educated on the difference between 44 Rem, 44-40 Win. and 44-40 Win. "cowboy" ammo. Are these 44-40 Win suitable for range shooting, and if so which one?

Thank You.
Old March 27, 2013, 09:09 AM   #8
savit260

44-40 is an entirely different round than the 44 Remmington Magnum.

It won't fit in the chamber of your model 29.

You CAN however shoot 44 Special in your model 29 as well as the 44 Magnum.

"Cowboy" ammunition is usually reduced velocity loads for Cowboy Action Shooting where there is a requirement that the rounds not exceed 1000 feet per second.
Old March 28, 2013, 03:44 PM   #9
glenncal1

Jim- You need ammo that is marked either .44 Remington Magnum (or just .44 Magnum) or .44 Special. The magnum is the more powerful round. Don't use any other .44 marked ammo such as the .44-40.

There is a huge ammo shortage right now especially in handgun calibers so it may take you a while to find any especially at anything resembling a reasonable price. Please be very careful, you have a powerful weapon that can bite you if you not used to the recoil.

Many K and N Frames
Old March 28, 2013, 04:18 PM   #10
243winxb

Buy 44 Special ammo. But first check with the indoor range. Not all bullet types may be allowed. Could be lead free only or lead only. Maybe no jacketed??