The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 22, 2013, 05:58 AM   #26
tomrkba

BB's response, much like many of Kimber's responses, does not pass the "smell test".
Old March 22, 2013, 09:34 AM   #27
tulsamal

I love my Alaskan.

It's a .480. Had it for a couple of years now.

IMO.... that's the one to get. As long as you reload, you can do just about anything with that cartridge.

I'm thrilled that Ruger brought the .480 back into production. For the Alaskan and regular SRH. I may have to buy a 9.5" SRH for my deer stand. Now if they would just make a five shot single action in .480 Ruger.... I would be happy!

Gregg
Old March 22, 2013, 10:53 AM   #28
colbad

Foreign?? I thought BB was made in ID.....wich is what it says on box? I did not intend to make this a big deal, but found a reoccurring theme across the internet and the various fixes . Thought I would pass on this information. I know for me one FTF is too many when dealing with dangerous game.

Also, attached is an interesting report on factory .454 ammo and its ranked likleyhood to jump crimp and jam your FA. Raises an interesting question. If the professional ammo mfgrs cant completely keep the bullet from jumping crimp, really how do our own handloads stand? Maybe I should make this a new thread?

http://www.scopedin.com/articles/equ...e-crimp-creep/
Old March 22, 2013, 06:10 PM   #29
wyobohunter

Ruger Alaskan

I did this same test with my Alaskan. Not with several manufacturers ammunition but with my hand loads. I found that there was barely any measurable creep if I stuck to "the rule"... If one round in a cylinder is fired I fire them all.

Not sure if you heard about this story, a Soldatna AK man got very lucky with a CNS hit on a charging 1/2 starved old brownie. After the fatal shot his cylinder locked up. He had cartridges loaded that were in the gun for multiple firings.
Read the story here.
http://peninsulaclarion.com/stories/...78669517.shtml
Old March 22, 2013, 08:56 PM   #30
colbad

I have seen the bear post before. I recall him saying that his 5th bullet jumped crimp and jammed the gun. As mostly a semi-auto guy,I never heard of the "rule" but I think it is an excellent point which I am going to follow. I guess it is similar to the semi-auto rule of never re-chambering the same round twice on a carry gun.
Old March 22, 2013, 11:26 PM   #31
wyobohunter

Ruger Alaskan

Yeah... I suppose it isn't so much "the" rule as it is my rule. I adhere to the same semi auto rule as you though. For different but equal reasons.
Old March 22, 2013, 11:32 PM   #32
Nanuk

I looked at the Alaskan, but got the 629 PC instead.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old March 26, 2013, 05:19 PM   #33
Old 454

You can't go wrong with a Ruger Alaskan in what ever the caliber, the only bettor gun out there is Freedom Arms, But I would take a ruger Alaskan in a heart beat.

Enjoy
Old March 26, 2013, 05:25 PM   #34
laytonj1

I see that Ruger has relisted the 480 version on their website but has anybody actually seen a new one? I haven't seen any show up on Gunbroker yet.
I can't even find the 44 mag versions around here, much less a 454.

Jim
Old March 26, 2013, 06:35 PM   #35
Cricoid

When I was looking for my .454 Alaskan, I contacted Ruger and they basically told me they weren't making it anymore. I think they make them in limited runs when suppliers request them?

They are out there preowned but you have to keep your eyes peeled. I have almost no use for mine other than fun on the farm, but if I ever go fishing in brown bear territory I'll take it along.
Old March 27, 2013, 08:53 AM   #36
Rifleman1776

I don't believe that BB representative has many years of knowledge. He has many years of the same misconception. I have fired my Redhawk .44 mag. tens of thousands of time with a variety of ammunition. Most I loaded myself using several brands of primers. I do not recall ever a failure to fire. The Ruger tolerances are partly an important safety feature. Screwing with them could create a hazardous situation. Unreliable foriegn ammunition is never reccomended. The reponse as typical of what many companies do. e.g. computer problems: software company blames the computer company; computer company blames the software company.
Use reliable, preferably American made or home loaded, ammunition, shoot and enjoy.