The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 13, 2013, 04:40 AM   #1
Keepin_Jeepin

Need an adjustable stock for my girlfriend

Well finally moving my girlfriend to bigger rifles and shotguns. She really loves shooting my 12ga but she gets tired holding it and shooting it. She is really small at 5'4'' and 120lbs.

I have a Mossberg 500 20ga that would be about perfect for her but it has a factory pistol grip on it and I dont think she would like it. I just want to skip right too getting a good adjustable stock for her. Ive always been told to stay away from the ar-15 style stocks but have never used one to really know. Suggestions?

Can someone link me to one that would be good for her? 12ga model stock is fine, I can dremel it down to fit the receiver better since the 20ga receiver is slightly smaller than the 12. Thanks!
Old February 13, 2013, 02:45 PM   #2
Waspinator

Hi,

There are plenty of "AR" type stocks that are collapsible (6-position) for not much money. Myself, I don't like those type stocks with a pistol grip on a shotgun, especially a Mosbberg with the safety located up top.

For regular style stocks... (I'm linking straight from the manufacturers sites, you can most likely find better prices elsewhere. I'll leave that up to your own google-fu)

You can try a 12" LOP over molded stock from Hogue. I have their standard length stock (14") and think its great. Hogue's site says they should fit 20 Ga. no problems. (I know you can find it cheaper if you look around.. normally about $45-$50)

http://www.hoguestore.com/index.php?...oducts_id=4615

There is also a place that sells a 13" LOP Hogue stock (only place that I've seen have them). This would be in between the regular 14" LOP and the 12" LOP linked above... the middle ground, so-to-speak. Only issue here is, you have to buy it as a kit that comes with a forend that most likely will not fit a 20 ga. So, the stock would fit, but you may end up with a unusable part along with it.

http://www.goestores.com/storename/a...-10921272.aspx

Or there is an adjustable stock from ATI called " Akita" made for 20 ga. Mossbergs. It adjusts from 12-3/8" up to 14-3/8 for a wider range of fitment options. Also has a nice cheek rest on it. A bit pricey though.

http://www.atigunstocks.com/akita-ad...ita-stock.html

Hope this helps somewhat.
Old February 13, 2013, 08:21 PM   #3
bluetrane2028

I just broke down and put an AR-15 type stock on my Mossy 500. The Hogue shortshot (12" LOP) was comfy for my wife, but a bit short for me. With the adjustable one I have on it now, it's just a matter of sliding between positions and it's perfect for anyone. As a home defense gun, I leave the safety off, but leave the chamber unloaded. My thought is, I rack it and it's live, no worries about if the safety is on or not. Therefore, the safety's position doesn't bother me at all. However if it bothers you, a Maverick 88 can be bought rather cheaply, and that's basically a Mossberg 500 with a trigger guard mounted safety, which would jive a little better with the AR type stock. Having a 2nd gun means you can leave yours the way it is instead of having to compromise.

Also, no need to go 20 gauge, unless you really want to. My wife shoots 12 just fine, provided it's not a full power loading. Federal tactical buckshot is still plenty strong, and she can control it with no problem.
Old February 13, 2013, 08:28 PM   #4
Spats McGee
Staff

Choate makes a conventional stock that uses a spacer system to adjust the length of the stock: http://www.riflestock.com/store/do/manufacturer/15
Old February 13, 2013, 10:28 PM   #5
BigD_in_FL

I guess I'll be the traditionalist - lose the AR stock

the tighter the grip radius (AR being an absolute) the harder to adjust to differing LOPs. The straight English stock is the easiest to overcome from that viewpoint
Old February 14, 2013, 10:06 PM   #6
Evan Thomas

You should be able to get a Mossberg "youth" stock (12-13" LOP) that will fit a 20 ga. with no problems -- either from Mossberg, or used, from someone whose kid is getting bigger and needs a full-sized one. The wooden stocks are inexpensive. Mossberg also makes shim kits that let you adjust both the LOP and the angle of the stock and receiver -- a custom-ish fit, for not much money, with a traditional-looking stock. The AR-15 style stocks aren't ideal for a shotgun, especially for a new shooter. They tend to bite the cheek, which is discouraging for a beginner: it's not supposed to hurt...

Call Mossberg (800-363-3555)and ask them what they have. I think you can get a new one for $60-ish; less if you can find someone who's moving to a longer stock and wants to sell a used smaller one.

Last edited by Evan Thomas; February 14, 2013 at 10:16 PM.
Old February 15, 2013, 03:34 AM   #7
Keepin_Jeepin

Great thanks everyone!
Old February 16, 2013, 10:41 AM   #8
drcook

If you go look on eBay, there is a youth sized stock for a Mossberg 500 20ga