The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 19, 2010, 04:50 PM   #1
oldreloader

covering presses

My reloading bench is in the little utility room on the end of the carport. I've never covered my presses befor but am considering it.Would the covers cause the press to rust from not having airflow or would the be less likely to rust because the are covered?
Old June 19, 2010, 10:16 PM   #2
capbuster

A cover generally keeps dust and dirt off your press. Use grease and oil to fight rust. A cover need to breath so as not to hold in moisture. My dillon has one of their factory covers. I think some people have used paper grocery bags. Alot of my other presses sport covers made from old cutdown blue jeans with the legs sewn together. I hope this helps.
Old June 19, 2010, 10:20 PM   #3
Farmland

Mine is in a building that is not heated full time. Thus it has no climate control. I use oil, grease and what ever else to fight rust. I do cover them to keep the dust out. I just lay a nylon cover over everything and it isn't air tight.

All of my Dillion tool heads / die are keep in a plastic zip lock which works very well. However I keep a very light coating of oil on them and just clean prior to every use.
Old June 20, 2010, 11:12 AM   #4
bbqncigars

I use some pillow covers that I got on sale. My presses are much happier now.