The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 3, 2010, 07:31 PM   #1
jPhoenix

Little help.. This look like flame cutting to you? Ruger LCR, PICS.

Hey guys, just got back from an hour at the indoor range where I put the following through my Ruger LCR (first time shooting this piece):

Privi Partizan 158 gr. LRN (standard velocity): 55 rounds
Speer Gold Dot 135 gr. +P : 10 rounds
Buffalo Bore 158 gr. LSWCHP +P : 15 rounds

That was all I had time for today, about one hour total.

When I got home I checked the frame and could see a possible divot in the frame where flame cutting would take place. I put my fingernail in their and could feel a depression/divot. Took a photo, cleaned of the area and took more pictures.

So, do the pics below look like the beginning of flame cutting to you guys?

I'll call Ruger in the morning, but just want some feedback. Thanks.

Old June 3, 2010, 07:43 PM   #2
briandg

No, doesn't look like it to me. when you have 4-500 more rounds through it and compare, then you can be sure.
Old June 3, 2010, 08:04 PM   #3
knight0334

Looks like it to me. Flame cutting is bound to happen with revolvers, natural of the beast.
Old June 3, 2010, 08:19 PM   #4
jPhoenix

I inspected the frame prior to shooting and it was smooth and pretty. I'd heard about 2 instances of early flame cutting with the LCR (under 500 rounds) and decided I'd keep tabs on this one. The post-80 round frame looks different from the way it did as new. I know it's only 80 rounds, but that's just the issue. After only 80 rounds it seems there should be no change (divoting, etc) in the frame at all.

Will this just continue unabated? or is their a safe point at which it'll stop?

I have other revolvers that have many many rounds through them with no flame cutting. Granted they are steel, and this frame is aluminum.
Old June 3, 2010, 08:22 PM   #5
Technosavant

Looks like flame cutting, but I wouldn't worry just yet.

Usually it gets to a certain point and then quits. If it keeps on expanding and expanding, then I'd contact Ruger. Switching to heavier bullets will also cut back on flame cutting- the light and fast loads tend to cut more.
Old June 3, 2010, 08:49 PM   #6
johnwilliamson062

I don't know much at all, but I would be concerned.
Old June 3, 2010, 10:34 PM   #7
knight0334

No need to be concerned yet.

Flame cutting happens on nearly all revolvers to some extent, and has been happening to revolvers since mid-1800's. The "gouge" will grow to a certain point then will stop in most cases because the hot high pressure gas has worn it down to a point that the pressures and temps have dissipated by the time it has reached the worn top strap.
Old June 3, 2010, 10:58 PM   #8
melchloboo

Ahhh, the joys of being an early adopter. Keep us posted!
Old June 3, 2010, 11:37 PM   #9
jPhoenix

Quote:
Ahhh, the joys of being an early adopter. Keep us posted!
Ha. I will. Just to be safe I'm gonna call Ruger in the morning. I wouldn't be concerned at all if I was on say my 1000th round, or even 600th. But at only 80 rounds I'm worried that the frame may have accidentally missed a heat treatment step in the manufacturing process. If this is normative, I'm assuming Ruger will say so.

I'll keep you posted. Any other input is still appreciated.
Old June 4, 2010, 01:25 AM   #10
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
is their a safe point at which it'll stop?
With steel-framed revolvers, it usually reaches a certain point, then stops. I have a S&W K-38 that has a recess about as deep as yours, but wider. I've put at least 1200 rounds through it since then, and it hasn't progressed. I imagine it's the same principle at work with your gun.

I'd say keep shooting it, and see if it gets worse. If it is abnormal, Ruger will cover it, whether it's at 80 rounds or 800.
Old June 4, 2010, 05:39 AM   #11
madcratebuilder

That is flame cutting, it happens if you shot your revolver. Some loads do it more than others. It's a cosmetic issue, well only cut so far then stop. It well not cut so far as to weaken the revolver.
Old June 4, 2010, 06:55 AM   #12
Don P

Only way to stop it would be zero gap at the face of the cylinder and forcing cone. Bad idea, me tinks dis would cause a SERIOUS BIND. Shoot it and relax
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old June 4, 2010, 06:57 AM   #13
drail

Really nothing to worry about.
Old June 4, 2010, 08:05 AM   #14
old bear

Use a graphite pencil to prevent flame cutting

From your detailed pictures it looks as if you are starting to have flame cutting taking place. Try using the graphite pencil trick and this should stop or limit any further flame cutting.
Old June 4, 2010, 08:59 AM   #15
xrmattaz

My LCR, with a couple hundred rounds fired, looks exactly like yours.
Old June 4, 2010, 09:33 AM   #16
jPhoenix

Quote:
My LCR, with a couple hundred rounds fired, looks exactly like yours.
That is good to know. Are you comfortable with it?

I'm actually thinking I'm fine with it. I'd just like to know if flame cutting after 80 rounds is normative. I don't mind if it ceases at a safe point.

I'll shoot an average of 100 rounds per month through this little pistol. Not a lot, but enough to add up quickly enough.
Old June 7, 2010, 11:39 AM   #17
jPhoenix

Called Ruger this morning. They said to email them the photos (same ones originally posted, above) and they'd get back to me. I'll keep you posted.
Old June 7, 2010, 11:43 AM   #18
rjrivero

Flame cutting.....

That is flame cutting. It's minor and as stated above, that is to be exected if you shoot the revolver. You can use pencil graphite to "protect" from flame cutting, but really that is nothing to worry about.

Using bigger, heavier bullets will help keep flame cutting down. The reason being that they require a little faster powder, which usually results in less flame cutting.
Old June 8, 2010, 02:06 PM   #19
kingcarlo2002

LCR

I have the same problem. After 55 rounds and only 5 being the plus P, I experienced the same exact flame cut. I just called ruger today and she told me I would have to send it in for them to see what was going on. It makes me nervous but every one here is telling me its ok and normal. Just wasn't sure because already flame cutting... I caled the gun dealer who I purchased it from and was suprised to hear me say that. Let me know what ruger responds.
Old June 8, 2010, 06:26 PM   #20
stevieboy

Flame cutting is self-limiting I've been told. I certainly hope so, you should see the groove in the top strap of my Smith & Wesson Model 27. The cut showed up the first time I fired the 125 gr. rounds. It hasn't gotten noticeably worse since then, and that's after a couple of thousand magnum rounds have gone down the pipe.
Old June 8, 2010, 09:06 PM   #21
jPhoenix

Quote:
I have the same problem. After 55 rounds and only 5 being the plus P, I experienced the same exact flame cut. I just called ruger today and she told me I would have to send it in for them to see what was going on. It makes me nervous but every one here is telling me its ok and normal. Just wasn't sure because already flame cutting... I caled the gun dealer who I purchased it from and was suprised to hear me say that. Let me know what ruger responds.
When I called, I spoke to a gentleman in New Hampshire who was interested and told me email macro photos of the divot, and they'd get back to me and tell whether or not it needs to be sent in...

I was appreciative of that approach.

I will keep you posted. I emailed yesterday, but haven't heard anything back as of this evening.
Old June 9, 2010, 12:56 PM   #22
jPhoenix

Heard back from Ruger this morning by Phone (see above posts for what led up to this). They said it should be sent in. They're scheduling a UPS pick up.

- I'll continue to keep you posted.
Old June 10, 2010, 01:55 AM   #23
akadave

They will replace it....but an explanation of why it happened will not be forthcoming.
Old June 13, 2010, 03:34 AM   #24
gibbleth

My Dan Wesson has a divot about twice that wide. Nothing to be concerned about. The topstrap has a very large safety margin built into it. If it gets fairly deep or starts cutting the sides of the strap, then you've got a problem.

Ruger absolutely stands by their guns, in my experience, and I expect they would repair any gun that failed due to a manufacturing defect no matter how old. My Blackhawk Ruger upgraded to a transfer bar safety for free, for instance.
Old June 13, 2010, 08:19 PM   #25
orionengnr

Gee, I'm starting to like the engineering that went into that little bitty stainless blast shield S&W puts on their alloy framed Magnum revolvers more all the time.

Easier to replace a toenail sized blast shield than a frame...not that I've ever seen one that needs replacement.

Tags
.38 , cutting , flame , lcr , ruger