The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 19, 2009, 10:27 AM   #1
Jdomin

cut the barrel on 1894 marlin 44 mag

Looking for a gunsmith capable of cutting barrel and mag tube on an old 1894 44 mag. want to make it like a trapper .appreciate any names of gunsmith, along with cost associated for the job.
thanks
Old September 20, 2009, 06:27 AM   #2
apr1775

I noticed your location is Lancaster, PA. Shouldn't be a problem there, your area is where the American gun industry was born back in the colonial days. Anyhow even if you can't find a "gunsmith", a machinist with a lathe should be able to do it, in many cases better than an actual "gunsmith". If you're paying to have the work done, you may be financially ahead to trade for a shorter version.
Old September 20, 2009, 09:02 AM   #3
Tom2

Only issue being that a machinist probably does not have a ffl, a requirement to work on other peoples guns nowadays. Now if the barrel were removed so it was not part of a firearm that would be different? You could do it yourself like the old timers, if you are in a jam. Hacksaw and files. Just have to know the legal limits for barrel and overall length. Just as long as you have a good reason for the mod, as you are throwing away, some muzzle velocity, sight radius, and round capacity. And maybe some resale value in some instances. The hardest part might be remounting a front sight so it is totally square up and will not fall off.

Last edited by Tom2; September 20, 2009 at 09:13 AM.
Old September 20, 2009, 02:28 PM   #4
HiBC

First,find your smith and talk to them.Then,I suggest,when the cutting begins,sneak up on it a little at a time.
An old riflemaker did that with me,long ago.Take off an inch or 2,see how it hangs,then take a little more.I wouldn't make the first cut at 16 1/4

And,likely you will need to widen the sight notch,or narrow the blade,or get a smaller bead.