The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 25, 2005, 11:39 PM   #1
rogn

alcan powders in 357

Does anyone have a ny data for loading al7 and al5 in the 357 with 140gr and a58gr bullets. Found an old cannister in the shed and have a few 100 140s and would like to use them up constructively. Appreciate any help.. thanks
Old December 26, 2005, 12:26 AM   #2
mtnboomer

Welcome to our nightmare!

DUMP THE POWDER OUT!!!!! Old powder is dangerously unstable and Alcan has been discontinued for many years. It makes good fertilizer as long as no one smokes!

Support the Second Amendment. Join the NRA > http://www.nra.org <

Oklahoma State & Big 12 - #1 GO POKES!!!!!
Old December 26, 2005, 01:28 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

Old powder is only unstable if it shows signs of deteoriation.

I've used powder that's close to 50 years old (with 50 year old loading data) with no undue loss of performance.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 26, 2005, 09:08 AM   #4
Leftoverdj

I still have a little Alcan around, and it's still good. AL-7 was a slow shotgun powder a bit faster than Blue Dot. The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook shows a .38 Special load of 5.0-6.7 grains with 158 grain cast.

AL-5 is shown as 4.8-6.6 grains behind a 146 cast, again in .38 Special cases.
Old December 26, 2005, 03:13 PM   #5
BILLY D.

Boy, I Haven't Seen Any Of That Powder Since Hector Was A Pup. But That Doesn't Mean It's Bad. But If It Smells Acrid Use It For Fertilizer.

HANDLOADS ARE LIKE UNDERWEAR.....BE CAREFUL WHO YOU SWAP WITH.

HAPPY TRAILS, BILL

NRA LIFE MEMBER-1965

THE THREAD KILLER
Old December 26, 2005, 10:38 PM   #6
mtnboomer

I say that because rogn mentioned he found it in a shed. I'm sure this would indicate this old powder has been though numerous climatic changes over the years which will deteriorate these older powder formulations. This will be especially true if the cannister has been opened in the past.

Support the Second Amendment. Join the NRA > http://www.nra.org <

Oklahoma State & Big 12 - #1 GO POKES!!!!!
Old December 27, 2005, 12:30 AM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

There's always that chance, but it's not an absolute given.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 27, 2005, 07:45 AM   #8
rogn

alcan

The powder smells fine, no fumes, no dust. Shed is insulated and heated part times. Probably bought it in the '70s
Old December 28, 2005, 09:34 PM   #9
redbeard55

Alcan Powders

I bought some Alcan # 8 from Jeff Barlett at GI Brass in Kentucky 2 or 3 years ago. Actually picked up 2 of the 6 pound jugs at about $10 a pound. Works just great in my 44 magnum with 240 LSWC. Velocity is right at 1180 fps over my choronograph. No pressure signs and the load is very accurate. Seems only a grain or two slower than Blue Dot, although it isn't the cleanest burning powder in the world. I would agree some of the old powders are definitely safe to shoot. I plan on finishing up the 12 pounds I purchased. If the powder was purchased in the 70's, a reloading manual from the 70's/80's should be appropriate.
Old November 10, 2009, 06:36 PM   #10
duelist

Reply to mtnboomer

Dear Boomer and everyone else:

If you open the can of powder and it stil smells like ether, it's likely still good. I bought some 2 1/2 lb. of AL-7 in half-pound cans at a general store in a small town and it's still good stuff. I've used it in .38 Special, .45ACP and other calibers with no problem. In fact, I'd like to locate some more; I'd also like to find some NobelSport Vectan SP-2, which was developed so .38 Super shooters could "make major" without running excessive pressures in their pistols. Apparently none of these powders SP-2 (like AL-7) and SP- 3 (like 2400). I guess they didn't give away enough hats and jackets to interest shooters. Too bad.
Anyhow, I've been reloading for more than 40 years without untoward incidents and am always looking for something good. If you have any to sell, contact me at: [email protected]. I'm a federally licensed ammo manufacturer and while not likely to pose much of a threat to the big boys, I do have some regular customers for unusual calibers (.38 Super, 9mm Largo and 9mm Steyr, .455 British, .30-40 Krag, .303 British, .45-70, etc.). The big boys make some of these, but not very many and sometimes they're pretty pricey.