The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 30, 2001, 09:57 PM   #1
Echo23TC

While I was dis-assembling my old 870 for cleaning, the shell latch came out of its recess. I have been having an occasional feeding problem with the weapon, shells not coming out of the feed tube when the action is worked - not all the time, just often enough to annoy me. Could this have been the problem? The 'smith at the local sporting goods store seems to think that the only reason the latch is staked in is to aid in re-assembly. I admit, it's a bear to get back together with the latch loose, and I'm going to have it re-staked anyway. Just wondering what others more experienced with this model have to say.
Old January 31, 2001, 09:09 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Echo, if the pin hole through the latch body is oversized then I'd guess it could move enough to cause feeding problems. But normally these will stem from the latch being bent or accumulated crud keeping it from working properly. I think you are right in having it restaked. George