The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 14, 2010, 11:05 PM   #1
littletoes

Just not Satisfied!

Well guys, bought 1000 rounds of the white box surplus Whinchester ammo several years ago, since it was fmj, I just didn't shoot it much, but now years later (it's 1987 stuff), I have 500 pieces of "mt" brass, all the same lot.

Well, for the heck of it, I started prepping the brass for some handloads, and after sizing (Redding dies), trimming(LE Wilson/Sinclair hybrid), primer pocket uniforming (Russ Hayden's), I then decided to weigh a few and compare.

There were several that were coming out the same, but the extremes were 1.7 grains difference.

Just wish I could afford some Lapua Brass......

Anyone else feel that way at times???
Old June 14, 2010, 11:14 PM   #2
Shoney

I started out segregating all my pistol brass by make and weight. Ater several thousansds of rounds, I couldn't tell any difference in accuracy.

I have experimented with mixed pistol brass also, with no clear difference in accuracy. With rifle brass, I segregate them by volume, not weight.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111

Last edited by Shoney; June 14, 2010 at 11:44 PM.
Old June 14, 2010, 11:48 PM   #3
Lost Sheep

Nope

the site would not let me post just the subject line. So, I had to make up a message.

"Nope."

I shoot pistol almost exclusively. The weight of the brass (and the implied volume difference that would make) do not have enough effect on the accuracy to make a difference (in my opinion). The limitations on handgun accuracy at typical handgun distances are just too great.

Now, if you are talking a scoped hunting handgun or 50-100 yard distances where bullet drop starts becoming a significant factor, then, yes. Short of that, I am with Shoney.

Besides, what percentage variation is that 1.7 grains? That is, what is the actual average weight of the brass, not just the variation? Far more important is the variation in the volume of the brass under the bullet. Take several of your lightest cases and several of your heaviest cases and measure their volume variation rather than their weight variation (throwing out any outliers/"flyers").

Variations in brass' effects on the point if impact are far less than variations in my own abilities to hold precisely on target.

Lost Sheep (with no pretentions of superior eyesight, hand-eye co-ordination or anything else).
Old June 15, 2010, 07:08 AM   #4
Don P

A waste of time sorting and weighing. Trimming? I personaly have not had to trim any handgun brass to date.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old June 15, 2010, 07:19 AM   #5
Sport45

The specific gravity of brass is about 8.5 which means if the variance is all internal (and not in the rim or groove) you have a case capacity variance of 0.2gr of water. I really don't see that making a difference in anything I shoot.

Did Winchester ever sell anything other than pistol cartridges in the "White Box"? I don't mean to include the old "Super-X" boxes that were mostly white as I recall.
Old June 15, 2010, 11:26 AM   #6
Mike-Mat

Brass from the same Mfg'er is easier for "spot checks". I just grabbed a recently loaded round popped it on the scale and weighed it. Then took another and it was almost 3gr different. I Freaked (I was using 4.3gr of Universal) . The brass was all different mfg'ers, but It looked to me like a I missed the powder in this round. Took out the bullet puller, emptied the powder and it was right on the money. I couldn't believe the cases varied by that much.

Having all the same brass, from the same Mfg'er, makes it easier for spot checks. They should not vary, but not by more than 1.5gr.
Old June 15, 2010, 12:50 PM   #7
Mal H
Staff

What Don P said. Most of that exercise is a waste of time for target practice, plinking ammo.

1.7 grains variation isn't very much in the overall scheme of things.
Old June 15, 2010, 02:45 PM   #8
snuffy

littletoes,, too little info! What caliber? Are we talking handgun or rifle?

I've never weighed cases, or measured volume. I just don't think it matters. I DO sort cases by headstamp, as far as rifle loads go.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old June 15, 2010, 02:49 PM   #9
Shoney

Sport45
I distinctly remember WW white box 223, and I may be a bit fuzzy here but I also think I remember WW white box 7.62X39.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old June 15, 2010, 06:09 PM   #10
James R. Burke

All I use now is Laupa brass. Not saying if you do the work you can't turn out some great stuff you can. So far I been really happy with them, and feel they are worth the cost. I have twelve loads on some, and so far not a one has failed. I dont anneal. They come pretty well preped out, but after that you need to do the regular stuff with them. Seems like they dont grow has fast. I have a few I keep reloading when I am making up loads to see when they will fail, and so far none have. I guess thats why I feel there worth it. They are very consistent also, the best I seen.

Last edited by James R. Burke; June 15, 2010 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Add::
Old June 16, 2010, 09:27 PM   #11
littletoes

Sorry guys!

.223 Winchester white-box ammo, fired it once, all the same lot, now utilizing the brass.

Since I want it all for up to 600 yard stuff, I'm a bit picky, but I'll just have to wait and see how it works out on the range.j

As to handgun stuff....I don't weigh that stuff out either. Mostly home defense and "practice" use with the handgun for me.

With the rifle stuff, I HAVE noticed a differance at long range with weighed brass, but only on the bench, I can't hold good enough to notice while in my hands!

Thanks guys!
Old June 16, 2010, 09:50 PM   #12
Mal H
Staff

Quote:
Since I want it all for up to 600 yard stuff ...
Forget what I said.
Old June 20, 2010, 01:56 AM   #13
HighExpert

I can definitely tell you that it makes no difference as far as .45ACP goes. I watched a close friend go from Marksman to Master using range brass and bringing his ammo to the match in a brown paper bag. (Really bugged some of the other competitors) He loaded it all on my Dillon 550B and eventually purchased his own press.