The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 6, 2009, 11:12 AM   #1
Field

whats that thing that flips your primers the way you want them?

i was gonna buy one of those things whatever they are called if theyre not some horrendous price

http://www.youtube.com/user/FieldBoy111
Old November 6, 2009, 11:14 AM   #2
Maligator

A primer flip tray?

Anywhere from $10 to $20 new and alot cheaper used on Ebay or the likes.
Old November 6, 2009, 11:46 AM   #3
MaineColt

My local shop has them for $7.99. (The green RCBS one)
Old November 6, 2009, 12:33 PM   #4
champ198

I use a hand prime and it does it too...Lee one is like $20 i think for the tool and both trays im not real big on touching the primers...dont know if it makes a diffrece or not but makes me feel better
Old November 6, 2009, 12:47 PM   #5
NWPilgrim

You can buy the primer flip tray as a stand alone device for under $10 (just plastic), or as part of a hand primer tool ($20 - $30).

The stand alone trays are usually square or rectangular, which matches well with the shape in which plastic trays that primers are sold. On the other hand, except for one model of RCBS, most hand tools use round trays that are slightly smaller than the square packaging trays.

If you get the stand alone tray then you might want to get tweezers or something to pick up the primers to avoid contamination by fingers and oils, etc. At least my fingers are too thick to easily handle an individual primer.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old November 6, 2009, 12:54 PM   #6
Jim Watson

The first one on the market, by the same plastic molding company that made the Fitz grips, was the "Fitz Flipper," fancy that. In a day before progressive presses and automatic primer feeds were common, its main use was to turn the primers bottom up so you could inspect them and be sure they all had anvils. Quality has improved over the past 40 or so years.
Old November 6, 2009, 01:52 PM   #7
NWPilgrim

I guess we take a few things for granted nowadays with better factory QC. I never thought of checking primers for anvils!
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old November 6, 2009, 03:07 PM   #8
Tomas204

I just flip them over is there a real wrooy for contamination of oils from ,my hands ??? I have never heard of this
Old November 6, 2009, 03:47 PM   #9
closetgunnut

PM send!

Closet

"There's no drug test for stupid."
Old November 6, 2009, 04:04 PM   #10
troy_mclure

fingers!
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old November 9, 2009, 10:02 PM   #11
Christchild

I've seen them called "Primer Trays" and "Primer Flippers".

Small plastic tray with Corrugations in the base. I believe it works because Primers are heavier in the Cup, where the Priming Mixture/Pellet sits, and the Corrugations offer just enough "grab" or "resistance" on the edge of the Primer Cup, so when You lightly shake the Tray with the Primers in it, the Corrugations and the Metacentric Height (height of the center of gravity) work together and cause the primers to Flip Over, Cup Side Down, Anvil Up.

I use the Trays every time I load so 1, I don't touch them, and 2, the Tray gets them all oriented correctly, so they're already in position to be placed into/onto the Ram Prime Die. I also use a pair of Polymer Tweezers to handle the primers....1 at a time. I think the Primer Flipper/Tray is an Ingenious little invention.