The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 31, 2009, 04:53 PM   #1
Hamm0ckjames

Scope Eatin Mini 14

Howdy,
Here's probably an odd question for someone with more knowledge than I. I have a Ruger Mini 14 in .223 which destroys scopes. I have tried a Bushnell Buckmaster 3x9 on it and within 20 rounds down range the scope lost its Zero. I tried to re-zero the scope but it won't stay on target. So I tried a Simmons Blazer 3x9 with pretty much the same results. Only this time the scope lost its zero after 31 rounds down range.
So after a trip to a recommended gun smith who gives my Mini 14 a clean bill of health. I'm using a set Of Ruger rings on the mini. I understand that the Bushnell is a $65.00 Walmart scope, But the Simmons while not being a $300. scope shouldn't have come apart. So does anyone have any Idea's about this? I would appreciate any ideas or input out there.

Thanks,
Old October 31, 2009, 07:40 PM   #2
Alleykat

Could be that the scopes are holding zero, but that "zero" doesn't mean much when you're shooting a Mini. After a few shots, your "group" is going to look like a shotgun pattern, even if you stick a $3000 scope on it.
Old October 31, 2009, 08:26 PM   #3
hodaka

I hate to tell you, but Alleycat is right. Best thing to do with a Mini is to leave the iron sights on it. That way you will not notice how inaccurate it is. I like mine, but it has a red dot.
Old October 31, 2009, 08:41 PM   #4
Dr. Strangelove

Sounds more like a scope mount problem to me. I had a 10/22 that was giving me fits trying to sight in with Kwik-Site see-thru mounts, changed to a Leupold see-thru and corrected the problem instantly.

I can't see a Mini-14 "killing" scopes. Did you try the scopes on another rifle?
Old October 31, 2009, 08:47 PM   #5
plainsman456

Get the adj. gas block for it.You will get longer service life out of your scope.If you adj. the gas block little by little you can get rid of the second hammer effect.Oh and get one of the buffers to try also.Good Luck
Old October 31, 2009, 08:52 PM   #6
jlwatts3

I put a mo-rod on my new mini (its a cheaper form of accu-strut) and the groups definitely don't open up as much as the internet would have you believe.

I would recommend smaller gas bushings friom Accuracy Systems and some recoil buffers from Midway. Both reduce the bolt clanging back and forth and will probably help a scope from getting beat up.
Old October 31, 2009, 09:04 PM   #7
Hamm0ckjames

Howdy,
Yes I did mount both scopes on another rifle. And both scopes now have a floating zero. For lack of a better name. I have been shooting factory ammo. 65 gr. hp. Using the Ruger scope rings. I think I will go back to iron sights and try a recoil buffer before I kill another scope. Also the adjustable gas block might not be a bad idea either. If the extra's calm down the recoil - counter recoil hammer effect is there a scope out there that can handle the counter recoil effect? I sure would like to get this .223 introduced to some coyote's.

Thank's
Old October 31, 2009, 09:12 PM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

Don't scope your Mini-14.

Got news for you. The Ruger Mini-14 wasn't designed to take a scope. It'll pound the best Leupold, Zeiss, Schmidt und Bender or Name-Your-High-Class-Mil-Spec brand to pieces. The scope base on a Mini transfers the impact of the shell into the scope, which then behaves like a tuning fork. Scopes weren't meant to be a tuning fork and given time, breaks.

Ruger had plenty of complaints and re-engineered the Mini for a scope. They called the redesigned gun the Ranch Rifle. If you must scope a Mini-14 (and not a Ranch rifle), then use a barrel mounted system where you have to use a long eye relief scope (or red dot).
Old November 1, 2009, 08:51 AM   #9
KMO

jdub3 wrote,
Quote:
I would recommend smaller gas bushings...
This is a very good idea for the Mini-14. Ruger's factory size gas port bushing has an ID of about .085", which is overkill for it's intended purpose, cycling the action by a gas piston design. This design works fine, except the oversized factory bushing allows too much gas flow, which causes a stronger recoil. The op rod slamming caused from the surplus gas flow is what eats up the scopes. A gas port bushing replacement with a .040" ID bushing willl still allow the action to cycle, but much more softly. A 1911-style buffer pad will help even more. One side benefit...the spent brass will be just a few feet away rather than across the state line. jdub also stated that he added a Mo-Rod barrel stabilizer, which will supplement the other fixes to improve accuracy while also saving the scopes...
Old November 1, 2009, 09:14 AM   #10
teeroux

A problem I have had on my Mini was the shells were striking the scope on its windage adjustment throwing off the zero. Swapping to taller rings solved the problem.
Old November 1, 2009, 11:52 AM   #11
plainsman456

And you might try a airgun scope they are made to handle the two recoil cycles a little better.If the spent cart. are hitting the scope turn it 90 degrees to get the turrent out of the way.I still say the adj. gas block would help out this problem and you would be able to find your brass.Good Luck
Old November 6, 2009, 10:59 AM   #12
bamaranger

mini-30 too

My mini-30 is a scope killer too, and its set up as a ranch rifle. As described it has very positive, almost violent ejection. I am searching for a Leupold 3x and hope it holds up.

Reducing the size of the aperature sounds like a great idea.
Old November 7, 2009, 06:48 AM   #13
10-96

... and then there's Simmons.
My Camp Carbine 9mm Marlin chewed up and spit out a Simmons Diamond reticle Shotgun Scope in less than 300 rounds.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.