The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 22, 2008, 11:16 AM   #1
TreyNC

Replacement sights for T/C Hawkins?

So I decided to refinish the .50 cal T/C Hawkins I got as a kit when I was about 13 years old. Boy that stock has looked nasty for a long time! Any way I shot it a bit and have always used maxi balls in it maybe 470gr. I now want to shoot round ball at 180gr, the problem is the round balls seem to be hitting about 12-14" high at around 60yds. The maxi balls are about 2" high at the same distance. My rear sight is as far down as it will go.

Any suggestions? Should I just get a taller front or get some sort of piep sight since something need to be changed any way. What do you guys use?
Old September 22, 2008, 01:37 PM   #2
noelf2

How much powder are you using? You'll need less with the lighter ball. See where it hits at 100 yds. Play with your powder load to bring it down a bit. I have a T/C 50 kit Hawken that I got when I was 16 (back in the 70's) and I got good accuracy with 80gr FFG Black at 100 yds. I since put tang peep and globe sights on it and need to dial that in.
Old September 22, 2008, 04:09 PM   #3
Pahoo

Just completed two T.C. Hawken model kits this Summer. Are you saying that your rear sight cannot be adjusted. Are these the original sight set that came with your kit? Note that you have a lot of options and you just have to go out and look for these. Have to admit that I have not shot a Maxi ball out of a Hawken, for a long time but do shoot these out of my Black Diamond. I pretty much just shoot PRB out of my Traditionals.
  • You will not believe how good a peep sight works. T.C. has a tang mount sight in their current catalog. Check your tang to make sure it is drilled and tapped to accept the peep sight. If not, you will have to drill and tap for one. Not a big problem. I have one that I switch from one of my Hawkens to a Luman Deerstalker.
  • Lyman makes a fancier tang mount peep sight as well as fiber optic sight set. Lyman also makes a front sight that has insert options. I have one on my Pennsylvania Hunter; 1:66 and what a shooter.
  • Williams also makes a top barrel mount standard sight that sits lower.

Good luck and success and let us know how you make out.

Be Safe !!!
Old September 22, 2008, 07:38 PM   #4
Hawg

Either a taller front sight or have a dovetail rear sight installed. I went with a Creedmore rear and globe front on my Investarms. It's great for target work but sucks for hunting.
Old September 22, 2008, 07:54 PM   #5
TreyNC

I was using 80gr of pyrodex.

My sights are adjustable, the rear is adjusted as far down as it can go.

I do want to be able to hunt with these sights.

These are the original sights that came with the gun.

The gun has always shot well, I just had never used a light ball before. The sights on the gun, as far as style, work well for me, but I dont really like them. That big rectangle cutout in the rear and all. Just by looking at them you wouldent think you could hit anything with them, but they do work.

Thanks for your replys, I think I want to replace the sights all together rather than getting a taller front sight. Might look a little goofy and I will hang it on everything I am sure.
Old September 22, 2008, 08:50 PM   #6
Hawg

This is the sight on a buddy of mines Santa Fe Hawken. It's a full buckhorn Gemmer style sight sold by L&R. You'd have to have a dovetail cut but it ought to get you low enough.
Old September 23, 2008, 05:32 AM   #7
shortwave

Had sort of the same problem with my old T/C Hawkins 50 cal.Years ago sent it to a friend of mine to have engravings and ivory inlaid in stock. For some reason when I got it back it shot same PRB,powder load extremely high. This smokepole was a tackdriver prior to getting stockwork done. With rear site adjusted as low as it would go,still shot very high. I ended up removing front sight, welding a taller bead(doesn`t take much) on original site and dressing it down to my liking. Its again a tack driver with rear site adjusted in middle.
Old September 23, 2008, 09:00 AM   #8
mykeal

The choice of a sight set depends more on what you intend the gun for than anything else.

If target shooting is the main, or exclusive, use for the gun then a tang mounted peep sight with a good bead or ghost ring front is the better choice. Pick the rear sight first and determine the height of the midpoint of the sightline range above the barrel, then choose a front sight that compliments that measurement. Brownell's web site has a description of the geometry.

If the gun is to be used for hunting one needs to give primary consideration to the ability to pick up the target quickly and maintain the sight picture. That pretty much eliminates the peep/ghost ring combination. A buckhorn/blade is a good choice but many have had difficulty finding the right picture for them with the wide open buckhorn rear. Likewise, a rear sight with too narrow an aperture will make target acquisition difficult. I favor a good thick blade on the front with a semi-buckhorn rear for this application.

Finally, I've assumed that the gun will not be used for reenactments as it is not a custom replica. However, if that is the intended use, take care to research what period sights looked like; Hawg's suggested leaf is a great sight that would fill the bill nicely, I think.
Old September 23, 2008, 10:21 AM   #9
Pahoo

TreyNC
Just for ****s and giggles, check your wedge pin and see if it's tight. I like a looser wedge and have see a difference from loose to very tight. These can be trimmed down fairly easily with no ill effects. Also check to see if your barrel is touching your nose. Mine do not.

Be Safe !!!
Old September 23, 2008, 07:51 PM   #10
noelf2

cancelled....too rude....sorry