The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 24, 2007, 08:42 AM   #1
hoytinak

Uberti 1873 carbine replica?

Looking for a replica levergun just for a fun range gun. I came across the Uberti 1873 carbine and really like the looks of it. I think they did a pretty good job replicating the '73 Winchester. Does anyone have and experience with these? Thanks in advance.
Old March 24, 2007, 10:30 AM   #2
Army GI

In my opinion, the saddle ring carbine version of the '73 winchester is the best model. Generally, the uberti replicas are well made and they range from "ok" to "really good" depending on who imported them. www.cimarron-firearms.com which is stationed here in the states in Texas has a reputation for producing finely made replicas that are honestly better than original colts and winchesters. But since they don't have those prestigious rollstamps on the barrel, they cost a lot less.
Old March 24, 2007, 07:12 PM   #3
vpjack

Actually Cimmaron is another Uberti import. Almost all 73's are from Uberti, however there is a new company here in the states named Chaparral that is producing a 73 replica that is supposed to be very good, however it does cost a bit more than the Uberti's from any importer. I will say that I have 2 of the Italian guns and both are very good.

http://www.chaparralfirearms.com/Cha...873_rifle.html

Jack
Old March 24, 2007, 07:32 PM   #4
bobn

i perfer the short rifle versions instead of the carbine butt stock. it does not wallow around in my shoulder. i have the cimmaron version. mine is a very quick and lively firearm .(for cowboy shoots).,,,,bobn
Old March 25, 2007, 05:47 AM   #5
timothy75

My only gripe with the carbine is the 19'' barrel whereas the originals were 20''. But yes they do an otherwise outstanding job of replicating the model of 1873.