The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 2, 2013, 05:54 PM   #1
Sea Buck

Powerbelts vs. Shockwave Sabots

I am shooting a CVA Wolf Magnum. I shoot Hornady 250 gr SST Sabots. I am down to 8 rounds and went looking for another pack to carry me through the rest of the season. None to be had, anywhere. So, I have available 245 gr Powerbelt and 250 gr Shockwave bullets in local stores. What are some of the experiences using either? Which in your opinion should I go for?
Old December 2, 2013, 06:01 PM   #2
cdmckane

Basspro.com for Hornady XTP and mmpsabots.com for MMP sabots. They'll be cheaper than the prepackaged ones.

Given the choices you listed, I'd go with the Shockwaves. They're just repackaged SSTs.
Old December 2, 2013, 07:29 PM   #3
shortwave

Since Hornady makes the Shockwaves for T/C and are the same bullet, just packaged by T/C and cost more, I'd go with the bonded Shockwaves. Using the same 250grn. you will most likely not tell a difference in your zero. But I'd check to be sure.

Going to the PB's, you will have to re-zero.

Last edited by shortwave; December 2, 2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old December 2, 2013, 08:41 PM   #4

CVA's are made for Power Belts. I would give those a try. SST's are fine bullets and i like tham in my TC but, Power Belts and CVA barrels are like peanut butter and jelly.

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old December 2, 2013, 09:27 PM   #5
NoSecondBest

I've shot several deer with Powerbelts and my opinion of them is very poor. I've had several totally disintegrate inside the animal, finding only very small particles of lead and plating material. I had one hit the side of the deer at 50 yds and not even penetrate the hide! It left a large crater in the deers hide on the ribs. This was a follow-up shot and the deer didn't get up when I shot. I reloaded and the next one went completely through the animal. The fragment most of the time and once in a while perform as they should. I've been hunting with muzzle loaders for over 40 years and have shot a LOT of deer with various side locks and in-lines. In all my experience, these are by far the worst bullets I've ever used. I now use Hornady XTP bullets which have performed very well on around the last dozen or so I've shot with the muzzle loader. They work very well in a handgun also. I'd strongly recommend using the Hornady XTP and an appropriate sabot in your gun.
Old December 3, 2013, 01:11 PM   #6
Sea Buck

Thanks for all the response. The shockwave sure does appear to be a SST, just a yellow tip and a black sabot difference. Thanks for the info.