The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old October 21, 2008, 11:52 AM   #26
The Gunny

harassment... really?

Thanks for the correction on the quote.

Look… I wasn't then nor am I now trying to pick a fight or make you mad. Sectshun8 made a post and you made a reply. A few others made posts, always with your reply to follow shortly thereafter condemning A&P. I simply offer a different point of view. The passion with which you reply leads one to believe if they do not agree with you , they are somehow guilty of a great offense. You submitted, "You and your peers continual harassment and posts do have me considering other avenues if it persists." You consider someone disagreeing with your point of view harassment? You have made more post (8 of 24) than anyone else on this thread, most derogatory, yet you are the one being harassed? What kind of "fuel" have I thrown the fire? I do not work for Norm. I have never met Norm. Norm has never signed my paycheck. I do work at A&P, I work for the GM. If my identity is a point of interest, it is not be hard to find out who I am. Just come in and ask for Gunny. Or just look for the old fat guy with the flat-top.

It is unfortunate you had such an unpleasurable experience. At any rate it goes back to an original point … You can't please everyone all the time. It really is not fair or even truthful for you to post or insinuate the employees at A&P are rude, unsafe, uneducated, or uncaring, considering the majority of employees have been working there no more than 6 or 8 months. Long after your experience. The employees of A&P can not be lumped into the character pool of Norm Gladden no more than a guy in a chinese factory, dropping circuit boards into a PC can be affiliated with Bill Gates. I still disagree with your point of view, as do many of the smart, loyal, friendly, and all around great patrons of Lynnhaven shooting range who come by to either shoot targets or just shoot the breeze.

You accused me of "diarrhea of the mouth". From where did that comment come? I never said you were wrong in your grievance with Norm. I never insinuated you weren't treated fairly. Again I make the point, the current employees are, for the most part, a great bunch of guys. You shoot where ever you like, but how about laying off bad mouthing people you do not know nor have ever met?

UPDATE: Being new to the whole posting/blogging thing.... I have been looking through the internet and found this interesting piece about A&P Arms in relation to Mr. Savage. It makes for some interesting reading. Copy and paste the link below to your browser.

http://sailorcurt.blogspot.com/2007/...on-p-arms.html

Last edited by The Gunny; October 22, 2008 at 07:39 AM. Reason: New Information
Old November 1, 2008, 06:27 AM   #27
Swing Low

I'm a rookie shooter so take my opinion for what it's worth. I went into the Hampton A&P shop a couple weeks ago to buy an HD shotgun. I wish I had paid attention to the names of the two gentlemen working that day but I didn't. Anyway, they were both respectful and didn't seem to talk down to me at all. I had done a lot of research on the Remington 870 (including this site) and everything the salesman told me was on the money - no attempt to deceive or move me into more of a shotgun than I really needed. He did show me the Marine model but when I told him I wasn't interested he didn't push.

I was happy with my experience there and would have no problem going back for future purchases. I'm not in any way implying that those who have not enjoyed their experience with A&P are lying or mistaken - I just think it's fair to relate a positive experience and to point out that some of us have had a pleasant experience with A&P. Thanks,

Swing Low
Old November 5, 2008, 10:37 AM   #28
Shikoku

NICE!!

Hey Gunny, thnx for the heads up on that. I LOVE how you took SAVAGE's advice and did your own research lol.

Savage? really? c'mon dude. Look, like you seem to do, I am going to follow suit because to be honest, I am a little out of my water on this forum. See, I actually hang out on forums. ALOT! I have the greatest job in the world. I work on computers and carry a gun. Only thing better would be to play video games and carry a gun, but I digress. So I hang out on the internet often and am in and out of message boards in languages you dont even know exist more then likely. 1f u n0 wh47 1 m34n lol!

I just happen to be looking to see if A&P had a website cause I am shopping for something specific. And I tripped over this board. And let me tell you. I know a couple russian hackers that could give you pointers on how to lie online. You spend way too much time being what we call Cyber tough guy. you imply that you are somebody important irl (IN REAL LIFE) and that you "have friends" roflmfao!! no you dont and you know it. You have the internet. Thats it. I know it makes you feel powerful. Makes you feel like you have a voice in the lonely nights. But honestly, you should go hang out with some real people with real thoughts that THEY came up with on their own. Walk away from the imaginary seal team best friends. Put down your super secret CIA badge. Your a potzer. You know it. We know it.

Now I have been to A&P often. Honestly? not my fav place to shoot. I shoot IDPA and cant double tap at A&P. Fine. Thats their call. I am not going into there house and telling them what to do. (been warned a few times and I dont push my luck TOO much). I have bought 1 weapon from them. They were helpful. Answered my questions and didnt try to upsell me. Might be because when I am seen people think of me as a mean looking geek. Or it could be because I spoke to them as equals and not someone put there to serve my whims. They dont know I know my stuff until we talk. Once they realize I know what I am doing they relax a bit. But still a geek. Not my fault. My mom dresses me funny. Not as funny as someone trying to be cool and sporting a shoulder rig. Really? you really did that? You do know the point of that is to be CONCEALED right? 35 years and still a newb? of course your going to get pwn3d when you go in there. newb.

As for the staff, they seem cool to me. The tall guy...and I do mean TALL! is great. he talks TO people not through them. he cracks jokes and laughs at yours. Except the dumb ones then he laughs at you and not the joke. You know, kinda like well rounded people do. They are there to do a job. They are not there to cater to you. When the customer is holding a gun, he is not always right. Sorry, I think they do a bang up job to be honest. You walk up to me and ask to see a gun and expect me to give it you, you'll get laughed at. They actually have to do it. Brave as far as I am concerned. I dont trust ANYONE with a gun around me.

To everyone else, I dont normaly flame on message boards and those that do annoy me. But I had to take a shot at mr Savage there. I would LOVE to meet him in real life over a cup of coffee and laugh at him to his face. I do respect peoples opinions. Very much so. As long as they are honest with them. The cyberposturing there was killing my brain. I guess now that I posted I am opening myself to being flamed too. I deserve it I guess.
Old November 5, 2008, 01:52 PM   #29
Shikoku

Correcting the correction

Forgot to add:
Savage, Congreve did not write that quote. Thats a socialogical adaptation of a quote of his that even Shakespeare played with. the quote YOUR talking about is:

"Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned / Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned."

I would have left it alone but you felt the need to correct Gunny with your ineptitude. Next time you use the internet to show off, check something besides bartleby or wikipedia.
Old November 7, 2008, 07:31 PM   #30
The Gunny

Free Range time on the Gunny

Shikoku, Come by the range and ask for Gunny. I have a couple free range passes for you. If you want to rapid fire or do holster drills try to come by before the crowd Monday -Thurday. (usually before 5pm) Show the RSO you know what you're doing and he or she will let you run loose.
Old November 10, 2008, 11:19 AM   #31
sloo50

I stumbled across this post by accident. The only thing I would like to add is this..... I have purchased at least 4 weapons from the folks at A & P and I have never been treated with anything other than respect and patience.

As far as the range goes.... I have a membership that I use weekly. Every Sunday as a matter of fact. I am typically one of the first in the door Sunday at 12 noon. I have never been treated poorly by ANY employee. As a matter of fact I am usually greeted by my name and my hand is shook..... Maybe I am respected because I respect their rules. Maybe it is because I try and spend a few minutes just "shooting the breeze" with the men and woman who are employed there. Maybe it is simply due the fact that the people I encounter there, are genuine nice folks. This is my experience.

Last edited by sloo50; November 10, 2008 at 11:25 AM.
Old November 10, 2008, 02:32 PM   #32
Navy joe

I shot at A&P Virginia Beach three times a week for years until Camp Allen opened. Then I practically lived there. A&P has a clientele on the range that demands attention. In the old days they had some great employees like Ed Morningstar. If you think you know more about guns or are a better shot than Ed, well then you're wrong. He was patient and kind too. Norm was, is, and will be an idiot. He is a tightwad. Nowadays the beach store hires clerks, not gun people and it shows.

A&P Hampton is a different story. Norm is pretty hands off and Mike keeps an excellent stock. In personal transactions and buying from the store I have always been happy. The prices are right, used and new are clearly marked and regular customers are always welcome. Mike deserves a medal for being as nice as he is in light of what walks through his doors. His is the only Hampton Roads shop I'll go to.

Nothing bad to say about Superior other than their prices are pawn shop high. Harvey is a great guy and quite a gunsmith but I don't think he does that anymore. Their Hampton range was pretty beat up last time I saw it.
Old November 11, 2008, 03:48 PM   #33
Hokie

I don't think I'd ever want to use A&P Lynnhaven's range, but both of their stores have a ton of of pistols in stock and have the best prices of any retail store between Richmond and Virginia Beach. Their staff are up-and-down, but in general nothing I'd get upset about. Bob's in Norfolk probably has the best staff, and Green Top has the best selection of long guns. DeGoff's is also pretty good, although they don't excel in any particular area. Bob Moates' is usually overpriced, but has some interesting older guns and sometimes a real find. I've found Superior to be overpriced, but I actually kind of like the staff. When I've been there, they've seemed competent and courteous, although in a blue-collar (rather than good-ol-boy) kind of way. The Marksman is very, very overpriced and the staff, other than Janet, sometimes creep me out.

As for actual shooting, I joined the Lafayette Gun Club in Yorktown and that's been an excellent decision. I don't know anything about Airfield Shooting Club down in Southside, but it has to be preferable to the indoor lanes.
Old November 27, 2008, 08:04 AM   #34
ditch_dgr

New guy here, stumbled across the board looking for A&P's website. I haven't shot at the Lynnhaven range, went one day to do it and it was way too crowded. But I did have a bad experience at the gun counter. My wife was looking for a new Glock, she stood at the counter for a long time (at least 5 minutes) no one talked to her. I was looking at holsters, saw her at the counter walked over and a sales guy walked right up and asked me if he could help (he had previously been standing around). The wife looked at him and said no thanks and then told me we were leaving. Haven't been back.

I was quite surprised by the customer service at that store. I have bought more than a few guns from the Hampton Store and have always been treated like their best customer. Mike is a great guy to talk to. Shame the two shops are so different.

We shoot at Superior's Hampton range at least twice a week. The folks there are great, Dave knows an awful lot about guns, Tony and Duane are always willing to help.
Old December 8, 2008, 07:23 PM   #35
USCG JOE

I just shot there today! I found the staff to be helpful, respectful, and very knowledgeable. Their prices are great and they have a much larger supply than most. The range was clean, safe, and well lit. I will be buying my next gun there.
Old December 12, 2008, 03:18 PM   #36
LongbowTap

The Old A&P Arms Hampton Range

After retiring from the military, I worked in the Hampton Roads area and carried a 2" .357 wheel gun. I had an A&P membership and would stop by at least three or four times a week and do some firing to stay proficient with the short barrel sidearm. Never had a problem, never was treated badly, and felt like I was treated fairly. Yeah, there were nicer or newer ranges, but A&P was convenient and the people were friendly. No complaints, nor did I hear any from others.

I always try to remember that there are some folks who just can't be pleased, and those who make mountains out of mole hills.