The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old August 18, 2006, 06:51 AM   #1
HNSWFTY

Trader Gun Shop, Talyors SC

Got to give these guys 2 thumbs up. Don't know how many of my SC brothers in arms are here, but if you are, you need to give these guys a try. They have the best selection in stock, and can get it quick. I've only found 1 thing I needed they didn't have, and it will be here monday. They have went above and beyond for me, and by far are becoming my favorite shop in Upstate SC. About an 1 1/2 drive for me, but well worth it. They don't have a web site but their number is 864-292-5644.
Old June 6, 2008, 08:40 PM   #2
brentseay

Traders Gun Shop should be boycotted

You have got to be joking. Trader's gun shop is the worst place on earth to do firearms related business. They treat EVERYONE like they're an idiot. I have had enough of that fat ahole in the back who never gets off his fat ahole butt accept to insult his customers. I made the mistake of picking up some 7.62x39mm for my rifle and at the same time asking "Do you guys have any brass ammo for the MosinNagant?" You should have seen the field day they had with that simple question. They replied "Haha, that's not ammo for the MosinNagant" "Yes I know that, this is for my other rifle, you have made fun of me and at the same time not answer my question." Jesus Christ Trader's has ticked me off for the last time. I swear they should be boycotted at all costs. Everything they have is junk and should be burned. Trader's MIGHT just make it if they make "cowboy" the owner and fire that FAT shriveled up FART in the back along with that wanna-be militiaman whos constantly choking on chaw. NOT RECOMMENDED. PERIOD.
Old June 19, 2008, 03:59 PM   #3
bigjack59

Traders in Taylors

Man, talk about bitter. Sorry you had a bad experience. I have dealt with Pat at Traders for several purchases and have been treated great. He took the time to show me different weapons and answered my questions well. I also dealet with the pretty young lady, very tall, in there. SHe was very knowledgeable and took a lot of time helping my son make his first pistol purchase. My advice is to go in there and find Pat or the young lady (she is prettier than Pat) and ask your questions. Sometimes a novice (i don;t know your level of experience) may feel slighted when no bad intent was present because the novice is in an unfamiliar setting. Give Traders another try...
Old June 19, 2008, 09:41 PM   #4
BassBud

I have purchased a few non-gun items from Traders, and have found them to be pleasant and helpful.

However, on pistols, I have found their prices to be higher than some other places. Also, their FFL transfer fees are higher than necessary.

One of my two favorite places is Allen Arms (http://allenarms.net/) in Greenville (SC). They are new..... very clean store, excellent stock, and very good customer service. Frank and Curtis Allen are the owners. Their FFL transfer fee is a flat $30, and they are very responsive in sending their info to the Internet trader.

Another plus for Allen Arms is that they have a good gunsmith that is there several afternoons a week. The gunsmith is an active competitive handgun shooter......knows his gunsmith stuff, especially for competitive needs. Oh, and Allen Arms has an excellent indoor range (pistol/rifle/shotgun).

My other favorite (online) place is Buds Gun Shop (www.budsgunshop.com). I have dealt with them for many years. If you buy there regularly, get their GE Credit Card (no fees, and no interest, only good there) as it qualifies you for no 3% up-charge fee for using a credit card (plus free shipping for most gun sales, and no sales tax if you live outside of KY). Also, if you write these guys an e-mail inquiry, they WILL answer you back.

I joined this forum to learn about good places to buy firearms. Hope this information is helpful to others.
Old June 20, 2008, 11:23 AM   #5
BerettaFox

traders is good for buying reloading supplies.... minus the bullets, you can always find them cheaper on the internet. they don't have ridiculously high prices on pistols. plus they will work with you some if you bought a lot there, and they have payment options. Allen Arms is AWESOME. I like the staff there a lot. Mr. Allen definitely did good when he expanded his horizons from owning dry cleaners to owning a gun store/indoor range.
Old July 5, 2008, 08:53 AM   #6
bigjack59

Yeah, I need to go by Allen Arms and check it out, I am hearing good things. I still like the people at Traders, they have done me right on some surplus rifles I enjoy, definitely not the experience Mr Grumpy writes about above.
Old July 13, 2008, 06:58 PM   #7
Keltyke

Similar Situation

Quote:
They replied "Haha, that's not ammo for the MosinNagant" "Yes I know that, this is for my other rifle, you have made fun of me and at the same time not answer my question."
A similar situation happened to me and my daughter recently, with the same "fat fart" mentioned. I left feeling very embarrassed and demeaned. I'm VERY neutral on Trader's at the moment. IMO, the woman is not very knowledgeable. Cowboy and the Smithy seem to know the most.
Old July 30, 2008, 12:32 AM   #8
YANKEEPOPP

Ha, can't believe all the upstate S.C. people here.

I personaly hate dealing with lots of gunshops, most all around here, have overpriced items. But the worst is how they act like you're a dumbass and they know it all. Big turn off!!! I don't brag or argue just listen to their B.S. which is wrong way too many times and go on looking.
Old July 30, 2008, 06:44 AM   #9
Keltyke

Quote:
Ha, can't believe all the upstate S.C. people here.
Wassa matta, you think we SCers can't type?
Old August 4, 2008, 11:08 AM   #10
bigjack59

You may have some personality conflicts with about anybody, but the folks at Traders have treated me honestly and fairly through about eight or nine gun purchases. The one guy everyone is talking about is a little reserved at times, but Pat, Janice, George, Cowboy and Jim will help you with anything. Before you throw a little mud their way try and think how many bozos they must get in there a week. If you have ever worked in retail you would know it gets a little old now and again. I took my son in there for his first gun. Janice realized he had some knowledge, but wasn't a old hand. She explained all the differences in the three models and was very patient. My wife loves going in there because everyone is friendly, even to a female, which is sometimes rare in the gun world.

Bottom line, I have come to trust them, and don't mind spending an extra 20 to 50 bucks if I can have their support after the sale.
Old August 4, 2008, 11:55 AM   #11
Keltyke

First, I'm not arguing with you. I understand your opinion and appreciate you relating your experiences with Trader's.

Quote:
You may have some personality conflicts with about anybody
This was a little more than that. I don't know everything about guns, but I expect respect from someone I'm buying from.

Quote:
The one guy everyone is talking about is a little reserved at times
Really? Well at that time, he was arrogant, demeaning, rude, loud and a bully. He had my 17 year old daughter almost in tears.

Quote:
but Pat, Janice, George, Cowboy and Jim will help you with anything.
The Cowboy knows a lot. I've had several good dealings with the smithy (Jim?). He's fixed a couple of guns for me. Janice was the one who didn't fully explain the gun to me and my daughter. Maybe she assumed we knew the caliber and the difference in LR and WMR, but assuming is dangerous with guns. We asked her if it would shoot LR and she told us it would.

Quote:
Before you throw a little mud their way try and think how many bozos they must get in there a week.
Not to be short, but that's not my problem. I don't deserve to have their bad week taken out on me.
Quote:
If you have ever worked in retail you would know it gets a little old now and again.
I've worked in retail, including managing a small retail shop. If an employee of mine had treated a customer like we were treated, I'd have fired them.

Quote:
Bottom line, I have come to trust them, and don't mind spending an extra 20 to 50 bucks if I can have their support after the sale.
I object to spending an extra 20 to 50 bucks with anyone, especially since there are other gun shops that also support their sales.

My beef isn't with Trader's, it's with that one guy. In fact, my wife and I went in this past weekend and she bought a handgun.

They DID make good on the purchase and my daughter got the gun she wanted.

Right now, I'm neutral about them.
Old August 6, 2008, 01:20 PM   #12
bigjack59

You seem like a nice guy, knowledgeable, and you always pitch in to help someone on the board, so I don't want to ruffle your feathers. I am basically apologizing for one guy (he is the owner) and trying to keep business in the store for his employees sake. Jim is the manager, he would help with any reasonable request. Cowboy, Pat and George are very customer oriented, Cowboy does seem to know what he is talking about. I value their friendship and service. Janice is very understanding with new customers, but may be a little less knowledgeable than some. Maybe we can put a curtain up around the one "employee" and keep him out of the public's view?

I hope your interaction with them continues to be good, I have been fortunate, in fact I just ordered a rifle from Jim two days ago. Anyways, keep shooting and collecting, if you need anything I am over here in Greenville.
Old August 6, 2008, 02:29 PM   #13
Keltyke

Quote:
Maybe we can put a curtain up around the one "employee" and keep him out of the public's view?
You're right, he's the only one I have an issue with. I'll deal with everyone else in the store except him.
Quote:
I hope your interaction with them continues to be good
I think it will be. In fact, I directed someone who was looking for gunsmith work to them. Like I said, we've already bought another handgun from them, they have a good price on targets, and some other interesting things. BTW, I can never remember the smith's name. What is it?

The whole incident was a simple misunderstanding that could have been quickly and quietly corrected had "said person" exercised a little "people skills" and not used the wrong end of the pitchfork.

Thanks for the dialog. BTW, what is your opinion of Allen Arms? Are there any other good gun shops in that area, besides Luthis and Deweys?
Old August 6, 2008, 03:33 PM   #14
bigjack59

I haven't gotten to Allens yet, but about four of the guys here at the dealership have and all of them are very up on it. THe range is well run and reasonable. One buddy had a problem with his brand new RIA 1911 and was just not sure if it was him as a newbie or the gun. The range guys there took time to help him and have handed over to the gunsmith there. WHile the work hasn;t been completed, so far my buddy is real happy with the treatment. I intend to get down there soon, but I do most of my shooting on our farm...

BTW, thanks for the dialouge as well, sometimes stuff gets really stupid on the boards.
Old August 10, 2008, 02:12 AM   #15
SmokeyVol

Both Traders and Allen Arms are good Greenville area gun shops.

The gunsmith at Traders helped me fix a Ruger mark III HiViz front sight that came with the wrong screw. They have a pretty good selection of used guns. Too bad they do not have a range.

Allen Arms has a fair selection of guns that is growing fast. They have only been open a couple of months and the place is clean and staff is friendly. Thier indoor range is great with 8 handgun and 5 shotgun/rifle bays. I have received 3 online FFL gun deals there with no hassle. They just had a full auto suoressor night shoot and plan another on Au. 13. I like the fact they are open till 9:00 so I can shoot after work.
Old October 25, 2008, 01:20 PM   #16
swampfox1

"traders gun shop should be boycotted"

brentseay, you may be the reason for bad service! I have had nothing but friendly service each time I visit Trader's. They are always willing to help and answer any questions that I may have. Try a smile and a friendly voice. It works
Old October 25, 2008, 11:54 PM   #17
Keltyke

I'm done with Trader's. I gave my Colt Defender to the gunny to replace broken ejector. He kept it a week then told me he ordered the wrong part. After two more weeks, during which he'd been in the hospital (not the first time for that), I finally got my Defender back. He doesn't keep regular "in the store" hours, either. IMO, he's not reliable.

I also saw the employee who was involved in the caliber mixup was working at Allen. That person cited several reasons they moved, and I agree with all of them.

The last two times I was in Traders, not one employee even spoke to me.

I'm moving to Allen - permanently.
Old December 2, 2008, 03:28 PM   #18
LongbowTap

Trader's Gun Shop

I'm retired military and have traveled & gun shopped all over the United States. They have a good selection, but they certainly lack in customer skills. I have repeatedly heard them talking "down" to new shooters (customers) who asked questions they must have thought were stupid. Dick, the owner, should be a bit nicer considering the high dollars they have been raking in this fall. Greentop, north of Richmond, VA, and Larry's Gun & Pawn in Huntsville, AL, really treat you well and beat the prices at Traders all to pieces on long guns. Too bad we can't buy handguns out-of-state anymore. I recently spent a grand at Traders and didn't even feel they appreciated the business. Might window shop there, but I'll go else where to buy - like the new Allen Arms in Greenville.
Old December 9, 2008, 01:01 AM   #19
Mandopickr

Re:Traders

And I thought it was me! I went to Traders to order a Tagua holster, left handed. The big guy offered to help me. I made a point that I didn't expect them to have the holster in stock, and that I needed them to order it. He went and found a box, and pulled out every piece of crap lh holster that he had. I again told him that I was wanting him to order the holster for me, I had the model number, and everything. He just ignored me, and kept pulling out the old holsters.

He called another guy back, and ask him about another box with left handed holsters. I told that guy that I wanted to order a lh Tagua. First he tells me that Tagua doesnt have lh holsters. I show him lh Tagua holster that he has on the wall (wrong model). Then he tells me that it will be 30-60 days to get a holster from Tagua. I ask him if he has another leather holster that he'd recommend. He ignores my question, and now they both are now looking for this other box. I leave.

I ordered the holster from Tagua that day, had it in less than a week, and saved money. I'll continue to stop by from time to time, but with Allen Arms, Freedom Guns, and Academy near by, I don't see me doing much business with them.

Last edited by Mandopickr; December 9, 2008 at 01:13 AM.
Old December 9, 2008, 11:15 AM   #20
Keltyke

Quote:
but with Allen Arms, Freedom Guns, and Academy near by, I don't see me doing much business with them.
Don't forget Luthi's. I like them a LOT. The guys there are really helpful.

Where is Bud's?
Old December 10, 2008, 07:45 PM   #21
docmansc

totem pole in union can be a little high priced sometimes but the service has always be great.
Old January 25, 2009, 01:01 AM   #22
thisguy2525

my soon to be wife and I just baught a gun from them I think the kids name that helped us was Preston I had a good experience we got the pistol that fit her best and payed relaively les than msrp
Old February 14, 2009, 01:01 PM   #23
sclay

After many vistis and 3 new purchases from Trader's (only due to convienance of location), I am also done with Trader's. Every time I visit I get the same "what the hell do you want" feeling. Not exactly the feeling I want from a place I've spent over $2K with.
The only person that worked there that I noticed having any customer service skills what-so-ever has moved to Allen Arms.
After recently over-hearing the stool blob in back explain to an older customer that +P ammo means just a little more powder and will work in any gun, I couldn't take it any more. I hope the guy buying the ammo doesn't destroy a collector's gun or get hurt.

I have recently found Tony's Guns & Police Supplies right down the street and so far have been very impressed. I have already made several purchases from them and hope to do many more. They do not have as big of a selection as Trader's but what they do have is quality. All that work there seem to be first class (especially Don).
Old February 14, 2009, 01:32 PM   #24
sserdlihc

If you are in the Upstate, Lawsons Outfitters in Clinton is pretty good. They have a good selection of rifles. Pistols are a little lean but they can get you what you want. If you have a question they are eager to help you.

I have never been to Traders. So, I will not voice an opinion. But after reading this it doesn't make me want to go either.

Allen Arms looks like the have a real nice facility, from the photos from their website. The range fees seem a little pricey to me. But that is just me. I am perfectly fine to go local range where I don't pay a cent to shoot.

Grady's Great Outdoors in Anderson is also a good place to shop. I bought my first handgun there 16 years ago. They have always been very polite and knowledgeable.
Old February 14, 2009, 02:40 PM   #25
sclay

I have done a good bit of business with Grady's over the years with mostly good experiences. I haven't been to Lawsons.
Allen Arms is overall a good place. They are trying hard. I use their range quite often when I'm in town due to lack of other ranges in the area. I hope one day they may move into a larger location because it tends to get quite crowded and I'd like to see the lanes 25 yards instead of 15 and 20. The only other issue I would have is I wish they would stop renting the S&W .500. Almost every time I'm on the range someone brings it out. It is brutal in an indoor range. But all in all they have a good concept and I hope they do well.