Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old April 18, 2018, 05:56 PM   #51
Spats McGee
Staff

I loathe buyer's remorse.
Old April 18, 2018, 06:00 PM   #52
Spats McGee
Staff

I have to say, though, that I'm really excited about this. My 10/22 has had a threaded barrel for years, and I just bought a 22/45 Lite. I'm absolutely giddy.
Old April 18, 2018, 06:01 PM   #53
Lohman446

Find any deals beyond the prices on the site?
Old April 18, 2018, 06:04 PM   #54
Sharkbite

Five years!!!???

The wait for the stamp will go fast

Welcome to the world of the NFA.

Bad news, this will not be your last stamp...good news, this will not be your last stamp.

I just did some 5320.20’s to change my address. 9 stamps (3SBR’s & 6 cans) in my collection so far.
Old April 18, 2018, 06:07 PM   #55
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
Find any deals beyond the prices on the site?
Not really, but the folks at Silencer Shop were really helpful on the phone. I mentioned that they also advised me to look at two others that they had on the site. I didn't want to get bogged down in analysis (again), so I decided to just run with Theohazard's advice on the Dead Air Mask. I'd suggest going ahead and looking at the ones they recommended to me.
Old April 21, 2018, 09:49 PM   #56
Machineguntony

This thread started in September. It’s now almost May. You still have not bought the silencer? The stamp would have been approved by now. Just pick one and go with it!
Old April 22, 2018, 06:49 AM   #57
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machineguntony View Post
This thread started in September. It’s now almost May. You still have not bought the silencer? The stamp would have been approved by now. Just pick one and go with it!
It's worse than that, Machineguntony. This thread was started in September of 2013. There was a very long initial delay. Life kept getting in the way of luxury purchases. Anyway, Mrs. McGee said those three magic words last week: "get a suppressor." So I bought the Dead Air Mask. I didn't dilly-dally this time.
Old April 22, 2018, 03:33 PM   #58
Machineguntony

2013! I didn’t see that part.

But I can respect your financial discipline. Congrats on the purchase. You will enjoy it.
Old April 24, 2018, 09:46 AM   #59
Bentonville

I just saw this thread. I’m excited for you. I just set up a trust and purchased a suppressor through the Silencer Shop. They are professional and knowledgeable folks who made it all very convenient with the kiosk etc. I went with the Obsidian 45 made by Rugged Suppressors. It’s going to be a long Christmas Eve for both if us, if you know what I mean.
Old April 24, 2018, 12:16 PM   #60
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentonville View Post
I just saw this thread. I’m excited for you. I just set up a trust and purchased a suppressor through the Silencer Shop. They are professional and knowledgeable folks who made it all very convenient with the kiosk etc. I went with the Obsidian 45 made by Rugged Suppressors. It’s going to be a long Christmas Eve for both if us, if you know what I mean.
Frankly, I was astounded that they have an app for buying a suppressor. There's an app for that! I agree on the folks at SS, though. So far they've been great to work with.

Congratulations & enjoy that Obsidian when it finally arrives.
Old May 30, 2018, 09:34 AM   #61
Ledslnger

I took a look at Mack Bros Vapor....believe they have a .22 LR only option coming out. I want a Vapor in a bad way. I enjoyed working with SS too. And, the kiosks are nice. I am picking up a Mack Bros 762L BLK .30 cal Can later this week.

Last edited by Ledslnger; May 30, 2018 at 12:26 PM.
Old February 25, 2019, 01:52 PM   #62
Spats McGee
Staff

IT'S HERE!

I got the call today. My tax stamp and Dead Air Mask are here!
Old February 27, 2019, 01:13 PM   #63
Bartholomew Roberts

Congratulations on your new stamp collection!
Old March 4, 2019, 09:05 AM   #64
Spats McGee
Staff

I took it to the range Friday and shot it for the first time. It was an indoor range that requires hearing protection at all times, so it was hard to gauge just how quiet it was. From what I could tell, it's about as loud as a pellet gun!
Old March 6, 2019, 05:45 PM   #65
Bartholomew Roberts

With a bolt action, it can be pretty quiet. My semi-autos sound about like a nailgun unsuppressed and without ears.
Old April 14, 2019, 06:37 AM   #66
Spats McGee
Staff

A Completely Unnecessary Update

A mere 5 years and some change since I started this thread and I thought I'd revisit it. My thanks to everyone who helped me make the decision on which suppressor to purchase. I've not had one moment of Buyer's Remorse, and that's a good thing.

Here's where I am. I now have one suppressor and three .22LR hosts*. Somewhere along the line, I had the barrel threaded on my 'standard issue' 10/22, and picked up a 22/45 Lite and a Ruger American Rimfire (which became my 'Squirrel Sniper'**). I took them all out to a farm a few weeks ago and rained silent death of various evil citrus fruits. Subsonic ammo (CCI Quiet and Remington Subsonic) runs just fine, but neither the 22/45 nor the 10/22 really cared for some RWS subsonic ammo that I had. Granted, the RWS has been in storage for a minute, but it felt like it had some kind of semi-sticky coating. In any event, while the semis ran subsonics just fine, the RAR was really in a league of its own in terms of being ridiculously, stupid quiet. Seriously, I have a pellet gun that's louder. At ~20 yards, you could hear the bullet hit an orange.

* = I'm fairly certain that this means I'll need more suppressors, right? Besides, Mrs. McGee needs her own suppressor, doesn't she?

** = If you want to see The Squirrel Sniper in all its glory, it's over at The High Road, The Bore Site, and I've put it on my Twitter and Instagram pages. I go by Spats McGee on all of those. In spite of all of that, I guess I'm too lazy to sign up for yet another site to host my pics for TFL.
Old April 14, 2019, 06:52 AM   #67
Mobuck

"neither the 22/45 nor the 10/22 really cared for some RWS subsonic ammo that I had. Granted, the RWS has been in storage for a minute, but it felt like it had some kind of semi-sticky coating"

I just bought a case of this ammo. It does have a soft wax coating on the brass. That actually seemed to help the 10-22 run vs CCI sub-sonic ammo. The RWS is 2 cents/round cheaper than the best price I've found on CCI and just as accurate in my 22/45 and RAR.
Old April 14, 2019, 09:28 PM   #68
Theohazard

Spats, I’m really glad you seem happy with your purchase, as I seem to be the one who talked you into it (at least here on TFL, maybe there were others elsewhere who had more influence). I have to say, I recently shot my Mask again for the first time in a while (a second kid being born and a wife who works 60 to 70 hours a week can severely limit your range time), and it always surprises me how quiet it is. Since I bought my Mask, some newer modular .22 cans have come out that you can reconfigure to be shorter, but I’ve never seen the need for that on a .22. To me, the only advantage to a shorter silencer is for it to be more compact at the expense of being louder. That makes sense for a duty or home defense silencer; you want something more maneuverable in tight quarters and you don’t care about it being super-quiet, you just want it to damage your hearing less that an unsuppressed gun. But with a recreational firearm like a .22, that’s not really a concern for me.
Old April 27, 2019, 01:55 PM   #69
Sharkbite

The Salvo 12 can be used with any shot size you would normally use in a 12ga gun. Bird to buck...no problem
Old April 28, 2019, 07:38 AM   #70
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddotlight View Post
One thing to keep in mind is that shotgun silencers mostly suck except for the salvo12 which you can only use 12 gauge slugs and wadded shot plus have a certain barrel length mininum. Shotgun silencers have been around a long time but you had to use handloaded or speciality rounds that didn’t go past 1100 fps or so.
That's good to know, but I bought a .22LR suppressor.

Tags
silencer , suppressor