The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 28, 2011, 05:36 PM   #1
younggunfreak

Little brother wants shotgun

My little brother was interested in a 20gauge youth but heres the curve ball it has to be lefty any good ideas
Old March 28, 2011, 05:42 PM   #2
TheKlawMan

How little is he, age and size. A 12 gauge with a youth stock may be a better idea especially if you load your own ammo.
Old March 28, 2011, 05:53 PM   #3
deepvalley

Location: I live in a small community where God and family come first followed quickly by farming and hunting. It is located in the heart of the western NC Blue Ridge Mountains. May God bless Barnardsville, NC.
Speaking as a leftie myself, all you really need to look for in a shotgun is the stock. I have found very little problems using a standard pump gun or breakdown design as long as it has an ambidextrous stock. There are great guns out there that will fit the bill just take the time to search for them! Good luck and BURN 'EM DOWN!
Old March 28, 2011, 06:27 PM   #4
seansean1444

why not a single shot?? thats what my little brother uses and he shoots left handed
Old March 28, 2011, 06:40 PM   #5
zippy13

For a lefty, how about a bottom ejector?
Old March 28, 2011, 06:47 PM   #6
Recoiljunky

That's a toughy for autos and pumps"all I could find were 12s" . But as stated befor sxs and ou's and single shots would work good.

Zippy you just reminded me of the bps and ithicas. Good work
Old March 28, 2011, 06:54 PM   #7
BigJimP

Browning BPS / like a Hunter model ...is a very good gun for a Leftie. Its cast neutral - so a leftie or a rightie has no issues. The bottom ejection is a big plus for a leftie.

BPS Hunter is available in 20ga ....and I've had one since the late 70's .../ its a good training gun ....my boys used it when they were little ...and some of the grandkids have used it as well.

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...unter-firearms

Its available in 12ga, 20ga, 28ga and .410 as well ....and Browning makes about a dozen different models of the BPS.
Old March 28, 2011, 08:20 PM   #8
oneounceload

Budget, usage, etc. will help us to help you
Old March 29, 2011, 12:12 AM   #9
Mayor Al

How old is the brother? A good top-break single shot H&R or other similar gun would be a good way in learn the basics of scattergunning. I still have a 16 ga top-break that I paid $15 for at a swap meet 50 years ago. It shoots, and it shoots well, and it taught me a lot about what and how to use it.

Learn first, then go with what you can afford later.
Old April 2, 2011, 04:52 PM   #10
younggunfreak

He is smaller built and it has to be a semi or pump because he want to shoot sporting clays
Old April 2, 2011, 05:08 PM   #11
oneounceload

What's your budget?

Guns for clays can run upwards of many thousands of dollars for quality
Old April 2, 2011, 09:22 PM   #12
big al hunter

I will second the motion for a Browning BPS. We use them at our hunter education field test. Reliable and solid, never had any problems in 6 years of students of all ages and sizes. They are available in a youth model and have the versatility of screw in chokes. Good gun for either lefty or righty. I enjoy shooting them as much or more than my Mossberg 835, but not as much as my over/under double. A decent double can be had for around $400. You may not get all the bells and whistles but a Kahn will shoot clays and any bird just as well as any other more expensive double gun. Just not as ornate and there is no spring in the extractor. The extra weight in the barrels will also help with follow through and has a nice balance. Just thought I would toss that in the mix.
Old April 5, 2011, 09:26 AM   #13
schutzen

Youth Gun

Another solution is the Stoger Condor Youth. The Condor is roughly 60% of the cost of a Browning and much of that can be recouped when your brother graduates to a full sized shotgun.
Old April 6, 2011, 04:02 PM   #14
idek

Like, Deepvalley, I shoot left-handed, and I've never owned a left-handed gun. With semi-auto pistols, rifles, and shotguns, by the time the recoil and noise have died down, the spent casing is long-gone, and I don't even notice them anymore. I wouldn't worry much about where the shells are ejected. I've never been hit or distracted by shells ejected to the right. The same is true with pumps.

More important--as deepvalley said--is that the stock isn't cast off for right-handed shooters, and I also prefer a tang safety, which is ambidextrous.