The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 10, 2019, 05:16 AM   #1
jetinteriorguy

1911 feeding issues

Ok, so I'm new to 1911's but finally bought one I couldn't resist. It's a RIA that has two barrels with accompanying springs. One is a 9mm, the other is the 22TCM, which is why this was irresistible to me. It functions fine in 9mm as long as I use the 9mm mags, but not so well with the 38 super mags that are for the 22TCM. But the 22TCM has some problems even with the proper mags. The first problem, when feeding the first round it wants to nose dive and jam, unless I just load eight rounds in the ten round mag and very carefully slide it into battery on the first round. The second issue with the 22TCM, after about 20 rounds the case was stuck in the chamber and the extractor couldn't pull it out. It had to be popped out with a flat screw driver, which didn't take a lot of effort to pop loose. Any suggestions? New extractor? Bend mag lips to make it tighter or looser? Maybe just a good cleaning? Polish feed ramp?
Old October 10, 2019, 07:15 AM   #2
David R

Start with a good cleaning, take the extractor out and run a solvent Q tip all the way through. I would not mess with magazine lips. Clean and lube the whole gun, including chamber and barrels.

First round feeding causing nose dive, put less rounds in the mag. You can load the mag to max and let them sit for weeks. It may help.

If you need to push out an EMPTY case, use a pencil or dowel down the barrel, don't dig out out with a screwdriver by the rim.

David
Old October 10, 2019, 08:14 AM   #3
JERRYS.

try to find some quality magazines. I do not know which ones came with your gun but I'm pretty sure they are not up to the standard of something like a Wilson Combat magazine.
Old October 10, 2019, 09:33 AM   #4
beeenbag

This sounds like magazine related issues in regards to the feeding. The extraction issue could be dirty extractor, and/or loose extractor. There are videos on youtube on how to tune your extractor.

First steps should be, obtain quality magazine and clean thoroughly.
Old October 10, 2019, 09:54 AM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I would contact Armscor USA for a call tag to send it in and let their gunsmith fix it. It's under a lifetime warranty.
Jeepaholic
Old October 10, 2019, 10:06 AM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

I'd start with good magazines but like Aguila Blanca suggested, it's Armscor's problem.
Old October 10, 2019, 02:37 PM   #7
jetinteriorguy

One of the 9mm mags is a Wilson Combat, the other is a McCormick and they both work great with 9mm. The other two are factory mags and all they say is 38s which I assume means 38 Super, since I believe this is what comes with the gun from the factory. I did remove the barrel and give it a good look and the chamber was fouled, even though when I put the barrel in it didn't appear to be dirty but maybe I just didn't look close enough with a good light. I'm soaking and scrubbing the barrel real good right now and have cleaned the extractor too. I have noticed that starting with round no. 5 the front of the shell case has some up and down play and each successive round up to no. 8 gets progressively wobblier. This is with the 38S mags, but these mags don't work good with the 9mm ammo. I'm thinking I'll pull the 38S mags apart an give them a good cleaning and spray some silicon lube inside the mag and on the spring to see if it helps.
Old October 10, 2019, 04:36 PM   #8
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
One of the 9mm mags is a Wilson Combat, the other is a McCormick and they both work great with 9mm. The other two are factory mags and all they say is 38s which I assume means 38 Super, since I believe this is what comes with the gun from the factory. I did remove the barrel and give it a good look and the chamber was fouled, even though when I put the barrel in it didn't appear to be dirty but maybe I just didn't look close enough with a good light. I'm soaking and scrubbing the barrel real good right now and have cleaned the extractor too. I have noticed that starting with round no. 5 the front of the shell case has some up and down play and each successive round up to no. 8 gets progressively wobblier. This is with the 38S mags, but these mags don't work good with the 9mm ammo. I'm thinking I'll pull the 38S mags apart an give them a good cleaning and spray some silicon lube inside the mag and on the spring to see if it helps.
9mm and 38 Super 1911 magazines are very different...they should not be used interchangeably. 9mm 1911 magazines have a spacer in the rear of the magazine to compensate for a shorter cartridge. .38 Super magazines have no spacer in the rear, but they have a groove down both sides the the magazine tube to compensate for the smaller diameter (width) of the .38 Super compared to the 1911 magazine tube that originally was intended for the .45 ACP.
Old October 11, 2019, 02:13 AM   #9
Hawg

Quote:
I would contact Armscor USA for a call tag to send it in and let their gunsmith fix it. It's under a lifetime warranty.
This.
Old October 11, 2019, 05:19 AM   #10
jetinteriorguy

Sorry for rambling, the 9mm mags are for 9mm, the 38S mags are for the 22TCM. Supposedly the 38S were to work for 9mm too, but they don't. I'm heading to the range this morning to see if things are working better. I have it working now with just working ammo through manually so we will see. The 9mm mags work flawlessly with 9mm, and as long as I load the last round just right and limit the 38S mags to 8 rounds of 22TCM they seem to also cycle just fine by hand. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by jetinteriorguy; October 11, 2019 at 06:40 AM.
Old October 11, 2019, 04:45 PM   #11
jetinteriorguy

Well, thought I had it figured out, but not quite. I ran two mags of 22TCM through and they worked great. Then on the third mag, the second round was once again stuck in the chamber and wouldn't extract. I had to take it home and used my cleaning rod to knock it out, and it took a pretty good effort to pop it loose. Looks like it's time for the gun to go back for some work.
Old November 7, 2019, 03:27 PM   #12
jetinteriorguy

I just got my pistol back from Armscor RIA, pretty fast turnaround. Looks like they replaced the 22TCM barrel. I'll take it to the range tomorrow and hopefully all is good. Other than them neglecting to notify me that my gun was being shipped back I'm pretty happy with their service.
Old November 8, 2019, 11:50 AM   #13
4V50 Gary
Staff

BTW, the most I would do with the 22TCM barrel is to polish the chamber. You need a polishing stick and 400-600 grit emery paper. Stick should be marked so you don't go beyond the chamber (length of shell minus the bullet). The trouble with working on it is it probably voids the warranty.

Let's hope the new barrel will be trouble free though.
Old November 10, 2019, 06:53 AM   #14
jetinteriorguy

I put 50 rounds through it yesterday with only one issue, not gun related. One of the rounds blew a primer and the primer jammed it up. Cleared it out and no other issues, so this is promising anyway. I checked the primer pocket with my gauge when I got home and it was extremely loose, never had this happen in 55 years of shooting and over 30 years of handloading. Especially disconcerting with factory new ammunition. I'm going to contact Armscor and see what they say. I probably shouldn't have continued shooting ammo from this box but didn't realize at the time this was the cause of the jam. I only noticed it later when I got home and was sorting out the brass I had picked up and figured this is what caused the malfunction.
Old November 10, 2019, 01:14 PM   #15
RGRacing

I have the 1911 Ultra Combo and use stock single stack mags - 22tcm and 9mm run fine. I always smack my mags as I load them to seat them back.

On another 22tcm issue - anyone reload. I have had to date nothing but tumbling - Factory is 100% - my reloads 80% tumble.

Factory 40g bullets - 10-10.5gr H110.

Thanks
Old November 11, 2019, 06:04 AM   #16
jetinteriorguy

I think the reason my 9mm handloads don't play well with the .38super mags is because they are too short. Both my CZ75 SA and my M&P have short leads and I have to load them this way to function. No biggie though, they feed fine with the two 9mm mags that I have so I'm not going to mess with it.