The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 25, 2019, 09:00 PM   #1
dyl

Jigs to make springs?

Are there any pre-made jigs to make springs out there for purchase? I’m thinking trigger bar springs, trigger return springs, things Like that. AGI’s video just shows Bob using something they made on their own. I don’t have a drill press or lathe so that’s a no-go. Not a gun smith, but some stuff is just hard to find.
Old July 25, 2019, 10:26 PM   #2
FrankenMauser

Unlikely. (And none that I am aware of.)

Hand-made springs are generally one-off affairs, and only made out of absolute necessity.
Companies that make springs as their bread and butter use CNC machines for the work.
Old July 26, 2019, 12:59 AM   #3
Scorch

For coil springs and pigtail springs, you can buy a spring winder, a handy little contraption that takes spring wire and turns it into a coil of the size you choose. You can also learn to wrap springs with mandrels of various sizes. Very few people know how or are willing to try, springs are really cheap to buy. Unless you need that special size . . .
Old July 26, 2019, 12:47 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

There really is no such thing as a spring jig. Springs are made(wound) on a mandrel using special spring steel wire then get heat treated. It's the latter that requires the most skill.
Like Scorch says, it wouldn't pay to make 'em "Unless you need that special size". Very very few of those around.
Old July 26, 2019, 02:34 PM   #5
Bill DeShivs

Small coil springs are generally wound around a mandrel, using spring wire that is already heat treated.
Leaf springs can be made singly using 1095 (or similar) steel, but must be heat treated.
You can order spring variety packs from Wolff gunsprings- it's a lot easier than trying to make your own.
Old July 26, 2019, 05:13 PM   #6
BillM

Brownells sells spring wire (and i believe flat) assortments. I've made a few, it's
a bit of a pain. Hint--the mandrel needs to be much smaller in diameter than you may
think! Flat springs are possible a bit easier---1095 stock is annealed, easy to bend and shape. Heat treating the spring is a steep learning curve.

Have to ask---WHY are you interested in making gun springs? It's a good skill to have--but any common gun has readily available springs.
Old July 26, 2019, 06:15 PM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

At TSJC, we simply bought a set of four pliers that were recommended to us for spring making (this is wire spring making and not leaf spring).
Old July 27, 2019, 02:36 AM   #8
Scorch

Quote:
For coil springs and pigtail springs, you can buy a spring winder
Quote:
There really is no such thing as a spring jig.
Now why would I say there is if there wasn't?
https://www.flexbar.com/products/uni...6e84a017&_ss=r
Old July 29, 2019, 07:57 PM   #9
ricotorpe

If you go to Youtube and search for handmade spring, a number of videos will come up explaining how to make one with a drill and a mandrel.

I never considered the material to make a spring because I play a little* guitar, and would just use a guitar string of the right gauge.

I have never tried this, so I don't know if it is a good method. One of the things which concerns me is the fact that a new guitar string takes a little time to break in. If you tune it to pitch, and strum it a few times, you will have to tighten the string a little to bring it back up to pitch.

That makes me wonder if it would be better to put the string on the guitar and break it in first. There are some preppers who have taught themselves how to make springs from wire. I'm not a prepper, but the video I watched was made by a prepper.

* EDIT: I play regular-sized guitars, but I play only a little bit.
Old August 3, 2019, 01:10 AM   #10
dyl

Hey all thanks for the replies. I started entertaining the idea of making my own spring because I still have the very first semi auto pistol I owned and it’s a little old, imported, Italian, obscure. I’ve already replaced the firing pin and triggger spring once years ago. Numrich’s parts were already slim then, and by now have dried up for most consumable parts . So no parts availability. I hate the idea of a whole pistol being useless because a tiny little spring being unavailable. So I dont shoot it anymore because I know I’m up the creek unless I can make extractors and springs. And there’s something about the principle behind being able to make a vital piece of the firearm.
Old August 3, 2019, 01:39 PM   #11
Bill DeShivs

Parts are available:
http://www.gun-parts.com/index.html/
Old August 3, 2019, 03:40 PM   #12
Unclenick
Staff

Dyl,

The Wolf springs are fine. What you want to do is identify the diameter of your spring and see how much force it takes to compress it by some fixed amount and match that. This gives you a number you can write down for future replacements.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle