The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 7, 2013, 03:26 PM   #1
+1k ammo

1911 slide drilled for red dot

Hi all,

I have a very nice 1911-a1 Custom Springfield Armory that was given to me by my Father.

He had this huge metal bracket and red dot scope on and I took it off as I did not like it, but now there are holes along the bottom of the frame and no sites!

Is it possible to return this to a normal looking 1911 or , should I just put it all back together how it was? I really don't want to do that, but with the holes on the frame not sure if any other choice.

Old June 7, 2013, 03:56 PM   #2
polyphemus

"Is it possible to return this to a normal looking 1911"
Restoration is possible the holes could be filled and the surface reworked to
a fairly "normal" look,a competent gunsmith with the right equipment should be
able to do it.If there are any in your area price the job and see if it's worth it
to you.Replacing the frame is an option.
Old June 7, 2013, 04:10 PM   #3
Jim Watson

Innovative Custom Guns will weld up the holes and remachine the dust cover for $75. PER HOLE. $600.
$75 for a front sight.
$95+ for a rear sight.

It is out of the Springfield custom shop and is a very nice gun.
They will put on sights for $100 up, depending on what you want.
The holes won't hurt anything but looks.
Old June 7, 2013, 07:21 PM   #4
Creeper

A low cost, but no where near as attractive, alternative to "fill the holes" is with set screws, red Loc-tited in place. The screws can be installed from the inside out, ground flush and then reinstalled permanently.

An even cheesier method is to fill the holes with metalized epoxy and file flush. Slightly less cheesy, if the epoxy work is done very well, you could Cerakote the frame, and the holes would all but disappear.

Down side to any of this, if the screws or epoxy comes out, it could lock up and even damage the gun.

As Jim said, it is out of the custom shop, and probably worth not doing anything dumb without serious consideration.

C
Old June 8, 2013, 03:32 AM   #5
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

They can be filled, but I think that $75 per hole is way too much to pay. If the gunsmith knows what he's doing, then it will come out all right.

The way it is done, here, is to back up the hole, from the inside, with a piece of copper bar, and then using either TIG, MIG with small 0.030" wire, or a small 1/16" diameter rod, at low current, each hole is filled with weld, allowed to cool, then ground and polished flush. Next, the frame would be polished and reblued. Also, you have to skip to each side of the frame, on every hole welded, to keep the heat from warping the frame. Just keep this in mind, if you take it to someone to have fixed, and don't be afraid to tell them how you want it done. In all, though, there's about 1-1/2 hours labor in those holes, not counting finishing. The main thing is not warping the frame.
Old June 8, 2013, 08:31 AM   #6
Hunter Customs

All the frame holes I've seen welded still showed thru if the gun is finished in a transparent finish such as bluing and hardchrome.

I agree with Jim the holes will not hurt anything but looks.

As for sight cuts, most competent smiths or machinist with the correct cutters can do them.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old June 8, 2013, 12:35 PM   #7
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

Bob,

I think it is the bluing salts that's used, or a combination of that and the weld metal. I use Brownell's Oxynate #7, but I also have it mixed with Oxynate S. I have never had any problems with using rod, like 6013, and I'm not sure what that 0.030 wire is, but both come out as black as the surrounding steel. I did have problems with color mis-match, and purple cast on single shot frames, etc., years ago, until I added Oxynate S, and that went away. I don't know what Oxynate 84 would do, or another brand, as I've never tried it. Also, I leave everything in the tank for at least 30 minutes, where most everyone says 15.
Old June 10, 2013, 06:12 AM   #8
+1k ammo

Thanks. I do want to do it correctly so the screw method is probsbly out. I had a hard time removing last screw of the red dot frame and had to tap in a new head cause was stripping.
Anyway, since it is a nice gun i will get estimate from my local gunshop who i trust vs sending to SA.
I will for sure do the sites but will see about welding holes or even replacing frame.
But at moment ill get sites on it and the holes wont hurt anything. I am new to welding,mig, but that looks so small even fir tig. But i am not a gunsmith!
Old June 10, 2013, 12:14 PM   #9
Scorch

Piece of cake. Fill the holes, refinish the frame, cut dovetails for the sights. Easy, easy job, I have done several. Not necessarily cheap, but not too costly. PM me if you are serious about doing it.
Old June 10, 2013, 12:25 PM   #10
Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by +1k ammo
I will for sure do the sites but will see about welding holes or even replacing frame.
PM me if you decide to sell the frame.

C
Old June 11, 2013, 10:49 PM   #11
+1k ammo

Will do Scorch and creeper. It will be some time as I am sending in some Glocks of his first to fix up but will refer back to this when I am ready.
thanks