The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old February 22, 2010, 07:31 PM   #1
young mosin

research paper on my 3 favorite weapons of wwII

Sadly ive only researched on one alot which is the mosin nagant.

I dont want to do the garand becauses it has thousands of reviews and books on it. and its just to popular. if i wanted to do it i would rather do a johnson rifle.

maybe i should also do a arisaka. sadly i never handled one.

Ugh! can anyone help me on how to make a good research report on them?
Old February 22, 2010, 07:45 PM   #2
Pahoo

Just too many great choices here but you will never go wrong with anythng that John Browning invented. Also, the 1903A3 comes to mind.

Be Safe !!!
Old February 22, 2010, 08:05 PM   #3
VeniVidiVici

How open is the essay? Do you have any required information you need to include? I'd probably do a weapon from each side. You already have a good allied rifle so I'd go with the Kar 98 which should be relatively easy to research. Third weapon is up to you but , given the choice I'd go with an oddball like the liberator pistol , or a OSS HDM.

I'd probably include:

1.) Development and production information
2.) facts about the inventor and a bit of personal history
3.) soldiers thoughts
4.) Cartridge ballistics and maybe a little bit of history on the round if you have room

Last edited by VeniVidiVici; February 22, 2010 at 08:07 PM. Reason: whoops it posted before I was ready!
Old February 22, 2010, 08:20 PM   #4
young mosin

Kar 98 is a good idea. the liberators a good idea. ill consider them
Old February 22, 2010, 08:23 PM   #5
KLRANGL

I would pick the same type of weapon from three different country's that fought each other and compare/contrast them in their similar roles...

IE:
Arisaka/Garand(or 1903 I guess)/Enfield Mk4
or
Mosin Nagant/M39/Kar98k
or
Garand/Enfield/Kar98k
or
Garand/Carcano/Kar98k
etc etc
Old February 22, 2010, 08:27 PM   #6
young mosin

That would be a very interesting thing on my research paper. about the polish/finnish taking mosin nagants and remaking them into a new rifle for combat. basiclly mosin vs mosin. right?
Old February 22, 2010, 09:20 PM   #7
Webleymkv

You could also stick with different weapons types from one combatant. Examples would be Mosin/TT-33/PPSH-41, Garand/1911/Thompson, K98/P38/MP40, Arisaka/Type 14/Type 100, or SMLE/Webley/Sten. Of course, you don't have to stick with a rifle/handgun/submachinegun combo either, you could always throw in a light, medium, or heavy machinegun like the BAR, Bren, MG34/42, DP28, Type 11, Browning M1917/1919, Browning M2, Vickers, or Maxim as well as a good shotgun like a Winchester M97, Winchester M12, or Browning A5 (used by the Brits in burma).
Old February 22, 2010, 09:39 PM   #8
Chris_B

I don't understand

The paper is on your three favorite weapons, and you mention three:

the mosin
The M1 rifle
the arisaka

...So you've only researched the mosin, don't want to write about the Garand and "maybe" you'll do the arisaka? So are these your three favorites? Does the paper have to be about multiple subjects? What is the paper supposed to be for, by which I mean, which subject? It can matter because of how you approach the subject

I'm going to be a little critical here, I hope you understand that this is constructive:

You're about as clear as mud. You aren't even really saying which three weapons you're doing the paper on, and judging from the 'maybe I'll do the arisaka too' it's not even clear that your paper is on three weapons, or if it must be on three or two or one

I think your first step is to clearly state what you're doing, because you're not telling us, and people are just running with various ideas. Clarity is key in writing.

Next...who cares if a subject has been written about lots of times? Every subject has been written about lots of times by students doing a research paper. This isn't a thesis for a doctorate by the description. In my opinion, writing a good paper on something you know about beats hell out of an acceptable paper on a subject you're unfamiliar with.
Old February 22, 2010, 11:04 PM   #9
young mosin

hell maybe i just do a paper on the mosin nagant.
Old February 22, 2010, 11:20 PM   #10
KLRANGL

Quote:
hell maybe i just do a paper on the mosin nagant.
There is certainly enough to talk about...
Old February 24, 2010, 01:48 AM   #11
Buzzcook

The British Sten and American M3 Grease guns would be a good choice. Both of them are stamped metal guns that were pretty ugly and yet very popular.