The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old May 25, 2011, 11:26 PM   #1
44 AMP
Staff

6.5x55mm Krag

Recently got an unusual Krag. Was told it is an 1894 Norwegian Krag, caliber 6.5x55mm Swede. The receiver is dated 1895, it has matching numbers on barrel, receiver, bolt and triggerguard (three digit). Magazine cutoff, with "S" on one side and "AA" (or possibly "VV") on the other (S on the cutoff active side). Proofs are clear, but small, A crown over somthing I can't make out, a couple of what might be rampant lions, along with some other tiny marks I cannot make out right now.

Any general background on this rifle would be appreceiated. Thanks.
Old May 25, 2011, 11:46 PM   #2
Wildalaska

Piccccccccccccccccccccccsssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!

All original? Original? *pant* *pant*

WildpleasetellmeAlaska ™©2002-2011
Old May 26, 2011, 08:59 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

sorry Wild, its not original, its been sporterized with a different stock (or really extensive reworking of the original, and different sights. The action has not been drilled only a folding semi buckhorn leaf on the barrel and a hooded ramp front sight.

I am curious about what it would take to restore it (as closely as possible) to issue trim, if the parts are even available.

Will get some pics as soon as I can get my better half to find the camera.

Any background about it would be nice to know, obviously the 1895 action date marks its origin, and I think the three digit serial number would put it as one of the first batch made, right?

IS the Norwegian 6.5x55 load the same as the Swedish one? How long were the guns in service? I know they are uncommon in the US, this is the first one I have ever seen in person, ever. Lots of .30-40s still around (and expensive if unaltered) but I've never found a 6.5mm before.
Old May 27, 2011, 07:43 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Yes, the 6.5x55 was adopted by both Norway and Sweden which at the time were united under a single monarch; they split up in 1905.

They chose separate rifles, though, with Norway going with the product of local inventors Ole Krag and Erik Jorgensen, whose rifle had previously been adopted by the U.S. The Norwegian Krag was a bit of an improvement over the U.S. model, since both locking lugs bear where in the U.S. model only the front lug bears with the rear lug being a safety lug. So, unlike the U.S. model, the Norwegian Krag has two locking lugs, though asymetrical.

One note on the Norwegian Krag. While I don't suppose you have any interest in rebarrelling that rifle, they do have left-hand barrel threads. I have seen a couple of Norwegian Krag receivers twisted like pretzels by gunsmiths who didn't know that and were determined to remove the barrels.

Jim
Old May 28, 2011, 11:29 AM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

Thanks for the info! No, I'm not planning to rebarrel it (so far, anyway), I haven't shot it yet, but it looks good. And the barrel is numbered to the receiver. I was thinking more along the lines of putting a military pattern stock and sights on it (if such could be found).

Any idea how many of these guns were made?