The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 20, 2019, 11:08 AM   #1
Oldjarhead

Dan Wesson 1911 ECO pistol

Anyone own, shoot, or have carried the Dan Wesson 1911 ECO? 9mm, or 45acp? Looking for a quality carry 1911. Thanks
Old June 20, 2019, 09:54 PM   #2
IDbound

They are one of the best semi-custom guns around. PERIOD!

I have had three different models before settling on an ECO in .45acp. I did change to fiber optic sights but that was more of a personal preference. If my wife had not bought me a Springfield EMP in 9mm, I would have added an ECO in 9mm to give my 45 some company. They are a great gun and they come with good customer service to boot.
Old June 21, 2019, 06:55 AM   #3
MC 1911

Have both and you can't go wrong with either one!
Old June 25, 2019, 09:49 AM   #4
jr24

Dan Wesson makes a fine, perhaps the best, production 1911. Tool steel parts with no MIM, good triggers, good quality.

The ECO does, however, have some reputation for teething problems with the tight springs to start with and need some time with quality, hotter, ammo to get a broken in. I also prefer such a small gun in 9mm as the .45 gets jumpy with such a light gun and if follow up shots are important to you, 9mm with run faster. The Colt Defender is also a pretty nice tiny 1911 for a little less, but I'd take the DW every day myself.

Another option to consider would be the Vigil CCO. Longer barrel and a bit heavier but better reliability and a longer sight radius with the short grip (good for concealment). If you carry IWB you likely won't notice much of a difference in concealability.