The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 9, 2013, 11:57 AM   #1
El Viejo

Traditional Muzzle Loading Group

I am looking to find a traditional muzzle loading/rendevous group in the central Illinois area within reasonable distance of Springfield, Illinois. I am fascinated with this early era of American Gun history and would like to learn as much as possible from members of a traditional muzzle loading group.

Presently I have a Thompsen Center Hawken .50 that I put together myself from a kit years ago. Several weeks ago a friend of mine in Oklahoma invited me to a tradional muzzle loading shoot where I fired my Hawken for the first time. I am definitely hooked.

So, If anyone knows of such a group near Springfield, Illinois I would appreciate learning of them and who to contact to continue my journey back into America's firearms history.

Thank You,
El Viejo
Old March 9, 2013, 12:39 PM   #2
spitpatch

My best advice would be to do what I did when I lived in Illinois. Move to Oklahoma!!!
Old March 9, 2013, 01:49 PM   #3
mykeal

That was helpful.

I recommend you get in touch with the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association (NMLRA). Google NMLRA for their web site and look up local clubs and representatives in your area.
Old March 9, 2013, 06:08 PM   #4
Rigmarol

Maybe this will help:
http://www.nmlra.org/clubs.asp?WhichState=IL
Old March 9, 2013, 06:53 PM   #5
bedbugbilly

Same suggestion as RIGMAROL . . . get in touch with the NMLRA . . they should be able to tell you what's in your area . . . if you dont't belong to the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association . . . you should. Muzzle Blasts - their publication . . is worth it. And then there is always "Friendship" . . . that's an experience everyone should have - both the Spring Nationals and Fall Nationals . . . lots of great folks to meet and lasting friendships to make . . .
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old March 9, 2013, 08:25 PM   #6
kwhi43

Ya, You can even meet ME!!
Old March 9, 2013, 09:02 PM   #7
RonR6

Pick up a copy of Muzzleblasts, the NMLRA magazine. In the middle of each issue is a list of all the sponsored clubs and shoot dates. See link in previous post to the NMLRA I did not check the sight but they may have the clubs listed. I'm sure if you called them up they would send you a free copy of there magazine.
Old March 9, 2013, 09:35 PM   #8
DD4lifeusmc

groups

google: Black powder rendezvous illinois.
A bunch come up.
Contact one sure they can lead you in the right direction.
Old March 10, 2013, 12:23 PM   #9
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

All or most of the Illinois clubs for muzzle loaders are in this list:

http://www.muzzleloadermag.com/Clubs/ILclub.htm
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old March 10, 2013, 05:28 PM   #10
drakecreek67

Prairieland Frontiersmen located just south of Sullivan.They have a Rendevous coming up.Send me a pm and I will give you my ph. no. and give you more info.
Old March 10, 2013, 06:29 PM   #11
El Viejo

Muzzle Loading/Rendevous Clubs Traditional

Thanks to Everyone who responded to my request for locating a Traditional Muzzle Loading Club. I have followed all guidance and have joined the NMLRA last night when I came home from work. I will call names listed on clubs close by.

Thanks Again To All. Let's keep the Flame of Liberty burning brightly for generations yet unborn! Molon Labe!!

El Viejo
Old March 10, 2013, 06:40 PM   #12
4V50 Gary
Staff

There's a fort (perhaps Fort Wayne) on the southern Illinois border across the river from Paduca, Kentucky. I know they hold a rendezvous there. You can also cross the border to Vincennes, Indiana to attend their rendezvous.
Old March 10, 2013, 10:09 PM   #13
mykeal

Fort Wayne is in Detroit (my induction physical was held there).

Perhaps Fort Massac?