The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 15, 2013, 11:45 AM   #1
AraneaeFatalis

Just Acquired A Taurus PT92

Just made up my mind a few days ago on which 9mm I wanted to buy and one pops up on an online Facebook group for sale or trade, just picked it up last night.

I got three mags (two were Beretta mags that the guy machined to work in the PT92, not sure I want to use them) and a Blackhawk Holster with it along with a 50rd Box of Tul Ammo (not my favorite ammo at all).

Going to be swapping out the grips on it, not sure which I am getting yet. Field stripping is super easy, easier than any handgun I've owned (aside from my revolvers).
Old January 15, 2013, 06:13 PM   #2
Akimbo

I'd suggest Hogue rubber grips with finger grooves. They fit nicely on my 92 and are snug in the hand.
Old January 16, 2013, 12:29 AM   #3
+1k ammo

Akimbo,

I too have Hogue or something similar on my pt-99 when i bought it - my only problem is that the gun is pretty big already and these grips although feeling great, i think are making a big gun bigger.

I am looking around for some g10 or aluminum grips that will fit. I think a gray or black/gray will look good with my inox.

With yours it is blued, so really a lot of options.
Nice gun by the way, I love mine
Old January 16, 2013, 10:24 PM   #4
blchandl2

Looks like an earlier model with the finer grooves on the slide and the lanyard loop. Nice!
Old January 16, 2013, 10:57 PM   #5
Officer's Match

Quote:
Looks like an earlier model with the finer grooves on the slide and the lanyard loop. Nice!
But yet with the decock (unless it's just grips from a decock version). I too really like the fine grooves. Nice pistol.
Old January 18, 2013, 07:20 AM   #6
AraneaeFatalis

It is an earlier model. Manufactured in 1992 (looked up the serial). I also does have the decocker. I found some Hougue panel grips I want to get, but every place online is out and on back order. I'm not a huge fan of finger grips, though I've never held a gun with hogue finger grips.
Old January 18, 2013, 08:27 AM   #7
Leejack

I had a PT99 of that era that I put endless trouble free rounds through.

What a great gun, hope you have as much fun as I did. I like the wood grips myself.

Like my friend OM, I too prefer the lines of the pre rail models, but the new ones are gorgeous too and shoot like a dream. If there are any unusual tool marks or other cosmetic flaws on this one, they sure hid them from me.

You have to go out of your way to miss the 10 ring with these guns.

Last edited by Leejack; January 18, 2013 at 08:37 AM.
Old January 18, 2013, 10:08 AM   #8
Que

I would highly recommend the Uncle Mikes rubber checkered grips. Next would be Hogue rubber grips.
Old January 18, 2013, 10:24 AM   #9
CleanDean

Taurus pt92

''Ara" : Your blued Taurus does have more of the authentic Beretta look. The numerous rear slide serrations; go back farther ....toward the hammer. Thus , a better purchase, than the original Italian 92. If you want a better grip and ease of changing back,to OEM . Try Uncle Mike's (Grip sleeve) or "Handall rubber sleeve . Both fit low enough without trimming, not to interfere with mag. release. Good luck and lots of trigger-time. Regards, Dino
FNH Scar 17 s --Black ; cause it goes so well with my formal wear, for those special occasions. Customized Mini 14 ,& ATI stock and a 3.5 lb.-- Pittsburgh trigger. / SIG P227 / Colt Python 8 in.Nickel / Colt Gold Cup N.M. ; Voere * KDF in .270 ; N. frame S&W revolvers; and TC Contender in 41 Magnum .

Last edited by CleanDean; January 18, 2013 at 10:42 AM.