The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 18, 2012, 07:03 PM   #26
jmstr

I have a few .45acp pistols. None of them have demonstrated any ammo sensitivity to me. 4 of them are 1911 designs, and 1 of those is a 4" CCO version. M&P, Ruger P97, H&K USP 45c, Sig P220combat: None of them every demonstrated any feeding issues with .45acp.

Almost the same with 9mm. I do have a 9mm that has feeding issues after about 150 rounds of steel cased ammo: too much powder on the ramp. Wipe it off and it is fine again. Baby Eagle I probably polished the ramp too brightly/smoothly for my own good. Other 9mm, no problems in my experience: glock, m&p, ruger, BHP, Kahr, Walther, Sig, beretta.

I don't know why, but I haven't had any feeding issues with any of the guns I've used: be they mine or others I've shot at the range.

Sorry: I have to say the reliability, in my experience only, is the same with well-designed and well-maintained firearms.
Old September 19, 2012, 11:06 AM   #27
KyJim

Keep in mind there is a difference in the reliability of gun models and the inherent reliability of a caliber itself. A couple of posters have more or less said the same thing.

As far as the caliber itself is concerned, I would think the higher pressure and faster slide travel would tend to make the 9mm less reliable than the .45 acp. Tolerances become more critical because everything is moving faster. On the other hand, I can see how the relatively more narrow and pointed 9mm bullet would have an advantage over the .45 acp.

There's no real way to prove any of this but that's what sometimes makes for a good discussion.
Old September 19, 2012, 11:27 AM   #28
kraigwy

My two 45s are a USGI 1911a1 and a Series 70 Gold Cup and I've never had feeding problems. And I use nothing but cast bullets.

I've always had problems with cast bullets in 9mm Semis, getting them to feed reliably, that is until I got a Beretta 92FS, it, like my 1911s just seems to like cast bullets.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old September 20, 2012, 07:40 PM   #29
745SW

My experience with 9mm is very limited, prefer 45ACP, I don’t recall ever having feeding issues with 9mm using FMJ, hollow point and jacketed handloads. I do not use lead on any cartridge except 45ACP. I do recall having the slide not lock open on the last round with Pro Mag magazines on a Glock 19C. I now no longer use any aftermarket mags on my pistols.

While I prefer 45ACP as far as actual use, I guess instinctively, I trust 9mm more in terms of functional reliability. My 45’s have always been/are full size 5” all steel while my 9’s range from 3.5 to 4.5” alloy and polymer. 45’s are two brands/models while 9’s three brands/models.

The 45’s get the most use while they number the least. My logic is if I can handle the 45, 9 should be automatic. Besides I find the 45 more fun and the cost isn’t bad comparatively because of the use of lead.
Old September 20, 2012, 08:16 PM   #30
orionengnr

I have owned more .45acp pistols that were troubled than 9mm pistols, but I have also owned at least four or five times more .45 acp pistols than I have 9mm...

So on a percentage basis, I would say they are about even. A well-built, reliable 9mm will work, as will a well-built, reliable .45acp.

I have owned a number of examples of each. And I still own a few today.
Old September 20, 2012, 11:14 PM   #31
shortwave

Would have to 'ditto' what orionengnr posted but would also add that most of the reliability issue's I've encountered with either cal.(or most other cal.guns) have been mag. related.
Old September 21, 2012, 12:16 AM   #32
Dashunde

I dont think I've ever owned a 9mm that wasnt 100% after its first couple of boxes, most were reliable from the start.

I cant say the same for my 45's over the years.
My current 45 has not hiccuped once, but it tosses brass every which way.

Most all of my shooting is with Federal bulk FMJ in all calibers.
Old September 21, 2012, 01:15 AM   #33
thinktwice

I think someone already said it. It comes down to the individual gun. I own 45's 9's and some other calibers. I have had some 9mm give me feeding or ejection problems and the same with 45's with certain guns, and I have some in those calibers that have not given me a single problem. I would also like to add I have three Glocks in 45acp 21,30 & 36 and two in 9mm 19 &26 not one issue from any of them, and I have had and shot them for years.