The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 4, 2010, 04:37 PM   #1
catken

1858 rem. caps keep jamming revolver

My Rem. keeps getting jammed with fired caps. After firing a round, I have to pick the fired cap off the nipple or the revolver jams and am unable to cock the hammer. Could this be due to the fact that the no. 11 caps that I am using are to large and need to be pinched to stay on the nipple. Ken
Old November 4, 2010, 08:41 PM   #2
Doc Hoy

Catken

Yes. Try number 10s.
Old November 5, 2010, 06:20 AM   #3
Roaddog

Yep #10's if your caps are loos you could end up with chain fire.NOT A GOOD THING
Old November 5, 2010, 07:19 AM   #4
mykeal

Which No. 10's?

You need to understand the fact that cap size numbers are meaningless - generic "No. 10's" are NOT, repeat NOT, necessarily smaller than the generic "No. 11's".

Here's the chart, once again, along with the caveat that cap sizes vary from lot to lot, so what fits today may no longer fit next month or next year:
Old November 5, 2010, 08:13 AM   #5
Doc Hoy

I agree with Mykeal

But I do find that I can fairly consistently use number tens from either Remington or CCI on my revolvers minus the Walker.

Where I see inconsistency in caps is in the reliability. I had a bad batch of Remingtons recently....Started badmouthing Remington caps. Swore off Remingtons in favor of CCI, only to find a less than perfect run of CCIs.

I use these two brands because it is what I can get easily. I don't shoot enough to buy caps or powder in bulk, (Not a terribly intelligent statement since there is little meaning in the term "shelf life") So I use what Bass Proshop sells (25 mile drive) or the gun show hawkers carry.
Old November 5, 2010, 02:57 PM   #6
HisSoldier

Quote:
I have to pick the FIRED cap off the nipple
Fired caps don't care if they started as #10's or #11's, they are all mangled up!

I have adopted the habit of pointing the gun straight up at the sky in hopes that the wreckage will fall out.
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old November 5, 2010, 04:58 PM   #7
Fiv3

That's weird. Most of my caps just explode into a million pieces. Every once in awhile one will get hit off center and not go off causing the cap to sit tilted.
Old November 6, 2010, 06:00 AM   #8
Doc Hoy

Yes but....

"Fired caps don't care if they started as #10's or #11's, they are all mangled up!"

In my observation, if I shoot elevens on any of my four Remingtons, I take a pistol which is largely immune to cap related operation problems to one in which every other shot is a bust.

As well,

"11 caps that I am using are to large and need to be pinched to stay on the nipple"

My opinion is that pinching caps is asking for trouble. Use the right size caps and if none will fit, change the nipples. It produces a far more satisfying shooting experience.

Just my observations gained from admittedly less shooting experience than most other folks on the forum.
Old November 6, 2010, 06:27 AM   #9
Snowdog

Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only person who hasn't had any issues with my 1858. About 10 years ago, I purchased five boxes of Hornady .454 swaged balls along with my 1858 Remington and I have less than 2 boxes remaining.

It amazes me that I've fired over 300 shots from my steel-frame Pietta (#11 CCI caps, about 30gr Pyrodex pistol) and haven't yet had any problems with fired caps binding up the cylinder... though I've heard PLENTY about it.

Of course, now that I just bought some conicals to try and just boasted about my reliable revolver, I suspect I'll start seeing issues.

Brevity Is The Soul of Wit.

-Shakespeare-
Old November 6, 2010, 06:36 AM   #10
Hawg

I never had much of a cap problem even when using #11 caps on #9 nipples.
Old November 7, 2010, 12:44 AM   #11
Model-P

I haven't had too much trouble with caps falling off and jamming my 1858. I quickly developed the habit of giving a quick twist to the side to throw any loose caps out while cocking the hammer for the next shot. Works fine.

What I DO have a problem with sometimes are stuck caps. What a royal pain in the rear they can be. My cylinder is a bit mangled from using a knife to pry off the really tight ones. Any suggestions for better methods of removing stuck caps?
Old November 7, 2010, 09:14 AM   #12
wogpotter

Quote:
Any suggestions for better methods of removing stuck caps?
I have a pair of metal tweezers. I think you can find them in drugstores as they were intended for some arcane female purpose.

They are only about 2" long, & have a short pointy curved section right behind the tip & can either be used to replace my chubby fingers & broken fingernails, or used like a 2-sided mini-prybar.
Old November 7, 2010, 10:08 AM   #13
Hawg

Quote:
Any suggestions for better methods of removing stuck caps?
A pair of curved forceps ought to work nicely.
Old November 7, 2010, 03:40 PM   #14
zullo74

I keep one of those cheap Leatherman knockoffs in my BP shooting kit. Many uses for it in BP shooting other than stuck cap removal.