The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 9, 2009, 07:24 PM   #1
Buster95

Stoeger coachgun

I would like to know if the Stoeger coachgun is a good shotgun and which one between the blued/walnut and the nickel/walnut have a more authentic look even without hammers, btw does a old west coachgun need hammers?
Old February 9, 2009, 09:41 PM   #2
dalegribble

i have a 20 guage stoeger, but not the coach gun. it looks authentic even without hammers. i broke it open once and checked and yes it took 2 shells and they went in side by side hence double barreled side by side shotgun.

i guess cas allows them so they must be authentic enuff but check to be sure, don't accept hearsay if your gonna spend money.

i do have a 12 ga import coach gun with the mule ears, it also kicks like a mule, that also looks authentic to me. both seem decent reliable and good shooters.
Old February 9, 2009, 10:56 PM   #3
Hawg

Depends on the time frame you want to portray whether to go hammerless or not. Hammerless didn't come about till the 1890's. SASS has a time frame from 1860 - 1900. Blued would be a more authentic look.
Old February 9, 2009, 11:43 PM   #4
Clamper Ramrod

I use both a nickle and blue stoeger 12ga. The nickle cleans up better with bp but both shoot great. Hammers vs Hammerless. If you're in competition it depends on the category. In SASS only Classic Cowboy are required to use hammers, everyone else can use hammerless.
You'll need to do some looseing up work as they do come quite stiff. A dremmel, brake hone and polishing compounds and a free hour and your in business.
Fannie Mostly's Gun Boy
Old February 10, 2009, 04:37 PM   #5
Buster95

Thanks guys.