The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 22, 2010, 12:47 PM   #1
Slowhand

Mendi Spanish Replica

Big Brown (UPS) just delivered a second Mendi Replica of a later 17th Century Dueling pistol. I have the top one since June and bought the second on Gun Broker. These are .36 cal and this one looks like she has been on duty as a wall hanger for some time.

She's got a little bit of surface rust starting and needs a bit of cleaning. I still haven't been able to find out anything about these old replicas other than .... Mendi went out of business a while back.

Any information regarding Mendi would be appreciated. Normally dueling pistols are in .50 Cal. These are a bit unusual.

Last edited by Slowhand; October 23, 2010 at 03:57 AM. Reason: .36 vs .32
Old October 25, 2010, 12:09 PM   #2
sebou

Hello,
I have recently see a 45 cal pistol from Mendi.
I just know it's a spanish manufacturer.
A last thing on the Mendi. Apparently a very small Spanish manufacturer, been out of business for quite some time. Now absorbed by Dikar.

Seb
Old November 1, 2010, 02:28 AM   #3
Slowhand

Mendi

I just ran into a third one with the same markings or lack of….I’m surprised they don’t have the Eibar Proofing House mark on them.

This one has a 4 1/4 in barrel.

M M is the proof mark for Mateo Mendicute. The Number 12 I believe is a model number. Mateo Mendicute was a Basque Gunsmith. Along with two other companies (Ugartechea and Higos de V. Aram Berri) who manufactured firearms for sale in the Basque Country of Spain, in Vizacaya or the Ardesa area. All three companies went out of business.

These Mendi’s were produced before Spain signed the CIP treaty (1991) that made proof marks and other identification standard. Of course the Basque’s have always been an independent sort.

Thanks for your response.

Last edited by Slowhand; November 1, 2010 at 09:12 PM. Reason: added comments