The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 22, 2018, 04:40 AM   #1
Tubaman

Unknown Rifle

This is my 1st posting to this forum so be kind to me and my mistakes. I have an old rifle passed down to my father and then to me in the 1940s. I've never fired it (nor did my father). My father said it was used as a deer rifle by his father (I think) and that it kicked like a mule. I don't know what caliber it is nor do I know who manufactured it. I've taken a few pictures of it and will take more when I get a chance.

I found the number '1877' on its receiver (date of manufacture?). Just below this number is another number '3629'. I don't know what this number designates. It has, what I think is its s/n stamped on the receiver and the visible bolt action parts '823'. There is an 'S' stamped right above this number on the receiver. Its barrel length is 33 inches. The entire rifle is about 51 inches long but the stock has been shortened and customized in general and I think the butt plate was removed. I was once told by a local 'expert' (back in the 1950s) that it was an 'Egyptian 43', however, that cannot be right since it is a bolt action, not a rolling block. I did a really crude bore diameter measurement and got ~.45" (for what that's worth).

I shall try to find any other markings when I have a chance and publish them.

I'm certain that somebody will recognize this rifle and maybe give me some more information about it.

Thank you in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OldRifle_1a.jpg (60.1 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg OldRifle_2a.jpg (53.0 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg OldRifle_3a.jpg (74.2 KB, 129 views)
Old November 22, 2018, 06:56 AM   #2
Mobuck

Italian Veterlli(sp)
Old November 22, 2018, 07:59 AM   #3
wild willy

Is that a rifle or a shotgun?When I looked at the picture it looked like a Vetterli but the bolt didn't look right .Did a search only picture I found like it said shotgun.I don't know for sure just wondering.
Old November 22, 2018, 09:06 AM   #4
ernie8

It is a Dutch Beaumont , modified to a repeater by the military . Then later " modified " by Bubba . Uses about a .450 dia bullet and the cases are a lot of work to make . It is worth the price of the bolt and magazine .
Old November 22, 2018, 10:22 AM   #5
Oliver Sudden

Yep a Beaumont with the forearm cut off. Caliber 11 X 52 mm and kick is less the a 45/70 from my personal experience.
Old November 22, 2018, 08:57 PM   #6
Tubaman

Attached photo should give some idea as to how long the rifle is. Either my grandfather 'sporterized' it or someone unknown had at it. It definitely is not a shotgun. The barrel is bored with rifle grooves. To the best of my knowledge a shotgun would not have any grooves.

I will try to get some more close up photographs of any markings as soon as I am able.

Thank you for your identification of this rifle. I've had it for almost 70 years and have never known what kind it is.

Tubaman
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SpringfieldOldRifle181122a.jpg (46.8 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg OldRifle181122b.jpg (115.6 KB, 56 views)
Old November 22, 2018, 09:18 PM   #7
ernie8

As stated it is a Dutch military rifle chambered for the 11mm Beaumont rifle cartridge . It has nothing to do with a shotgun . The wood has been shortened . All military rifles of that period were that long . There is really no need for more photos of markings as there is nothing else to be learned . If you could find someone to make you some ammo , you could shoot it if you liked . But as stated , I feel making the ammo is about the most work of all the old BP cartridge rifles .
Old November 22, 2018, 09:37 PM   #8
Tubaman

Thank you! You have solved a lifelong mystery for me. My days of shooting are behind me, especially high powered rifles with lots of recoil (at 81 my body cannot handle it anymore). It is only a collector's rifle for me. I just watched a YouTube video of somebody shooting this rifle. I wish my grandfather (or whomever) hadn't messed with the stock (he probably did that over 100 years ago). The original configuration looks much better. I did some handgun reloading 50 - 60 years ago but have long since retired from that hobby. Thank you for the information!

Tubaman (Carl)
Old November 23, 2018, 03:15 AM   #9
Tubaman

I guess I submitted too many photographs and for that I apologize.

Unfortunately I don't know everything about my 'Dutch Beaumont' rifle so I need to bother you folks with a few more questions. Then I am out of here (although I have other firearms that I am curious about and would like to have mentioned).

Questions:
1) The number '1877' stamped on its receiver. What does this signify? Is '1877' the date of manufacture, model series, or what?

2) The number '3629' just below the '1877 '. What does this signify? Is it some kind of date code?

3) The s/n '823' with the letter 'S' above it on the receiver and on all visible parts of the bolt assembly. It's positioned differently that the rifles I just saw on YouTube (mine is perpendicular to the barrel axis where the YouTube rifle had it parallel to the barrel axis). Is this an early s/n? What does the 'S' mean? The rifle on YouTube had a different letter (I can't remember what it was).

Thank you in advance!
Tubaman
Old November 23, 2018, 08:13 AM   #10
ernie8

It is a model 1871 rifle , made in 1877 . After 1888 they were modified to be a repeater with the addition of a Vitali magazine with cut off and ejector . Some with a date for that . The S is just part of the serial number . There were two different makers of the rifle and their markings differed a little .