The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 20, 2018, 11:36 PM   #26
musicmatty

Thanks for all the replies!! As I said in my original post that started this thread, I don’t care who owns the rights to the name ‘Winchester’. What I do care about is that this firearm is produced right here where it’s Heritage was started… The good Ol’USA.

Other firearm manufacturers are thriving here ( maybe not Remington.. as their quality control is in the tank ).. and we now have the best economy on this planet! With the massive reduction in regulations, The United States has not been this friendly for businesses in more than 50 years.

Have you noticed that Winchester ammunition says on the box… Made in the USA… And it’s very good ammo in my opinion. I really don’t think it’s inconceivable any longer to think that in the near future, production of Winchester firearms will be brought back to the United States.

Thankfully, I’m very blessed to be a prosperous citizen in this country and by no means am I wealthy! With that said, I am more than willing to pay for a Mossberg firearm rather than a Maverick model that’s made in Mexico just so I can keep people working in this country!
I certainly have no problem keeping the Maverick in the lineup for people who truly need a financial break. But those of us who can afford a few dollars more should invest in keeping Americans employed.

God bless American Firearms production and Happy Thanksgivin’!

Last edited by musicmatty; November 21, 2018 at 12:13 AM.
Old November 21, 2018, 01:54 AM   #27
DPris
Member Emeritus

Not all Winchester-marked ammunition is made in the US, and for the reasons I gave earlier I can't see actual US-made Winchester rifles or shotguns returning to these shores.

It'd require either a totally new factory (expensive & unlikely) or an expansion of the FN facility (expensive & unlikely).
Denis
Old November 23, 2018, 01:21 AM   #28
jstanfield103

I have American made guns and that is what I buy when I can. But I also have three Levers made in Japan. Two of them are Browning BL-22's and the third is a Winchester 1892 in 44 Mag. I have had Winchesters in the past made after 1964 and they really never did anything for me. This new Winchester is made better than any Winchester made after 1964. The same plant that makes the Browning BL-22's also makes this Winchester. They are top notch rifles and none to be found better. Yes it was pricey but well worth it. I due have a Winchester 9422 made in 1978 when they were making them from steel again. It is a great quality rifle and no lever action .22 rifle can compare with it. I don't even mind the tang safety on the 1892. Marlin makes a good rifle also but if you hand load their bores are a tad bigger and you have to load especially for the larger bore size. Marlins quality is almost as nice but not quite as good as the Japanese made Winchester.
Please don't think I am taking offense to the arguments above. I see everyone's point of view and really do agree with the Buy American when possible. I use to do that with all my guns then I realized I was missing out on some great guns. I only own the three Japanese made rifles and everything else I own is USA made. Marlin, Henry, Winchester, S&W and Ruger.