The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 11, 1999, 03:03 AM   #1
4V50 Gary
Staff

Flipping through the pages of a Canadian LE mag, Blue Line, and behold is a short blurb on the Daewoo.

In appearance, it looks like an M16 on steriods. Even the ejection port cover looks like it came off an AR. It feeds from either a straight 12 round or 20 round circular magazine (darn the Assault Weapon ban), weighs about 6.5 kilos.

No T&E was done in the mag so I can't share any other details with y'all.

Old February 11, 1999, 05:43 AM   #2
Ray VanderLinden

Assault Ban?
It gets worse. I have a friend that owns a USAS 12. It has been reclassed as a Class 3 weapon. Unfortunately He Choose an other Officer to "Hold the weapon for him until he can, MAYBE, get the paperwork to Possess his own weapon.
Old February 11, 1999, 09:56 AM   #3
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Non-sporting style shotguns (i.e. USAS, Street Sweeper, etc) are classified as destructive devices b/c they have bore(s) larger than .5", are fired by an "explosive charge" shotgun shell and they are not (for the most part) meant to be fired from the shoulder.
The BATF definitions of pistolgripped only shotgun and destructive device are pretty similar. There is a good article about this in the latest SAR in the legal column.
Old February 16, 1999, 10:09 PM   #4
Daren Thompson

It is still legal to install pistol grips front and rear on a pump shotgun isn't it?
Later
Daren
Old February 17, 1999, 10:31 AM   #5
PCurrent

I don't know if anyone noticed, but Steven Segal uses one (USAS-12) in "On Deadly Ground".