The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 4, 2018, 01:12 PM   #1
the possum

AR Pistols in 7.62x39?

I've been mulling over this idea for at least a couple years, but never really delved into researching the options out there.

I always carried an SKS around the farm, since most of the things I tend to shoot at are beyond comfortable range for normal pistols. A carbine or rifle just makes more sense. But it's a pain, because of the laws here in Illinois regarding keeping it cased, etc. I do have a CCW permit, which means I can carry any handgun that's at least "mostly concealed". An AR pistol (or some other PDW sorta gun) might be a realistic way to keep a carbine type gun at the ready in a vehicle without running afoul of the laws.

This is fresh in my mind because I've been noticing some pretty good deals on AR pistols lately. I've seen several in the $300-$400 range. I'd plan to add one of the pistol braces to it, if it didn't already come with one. I'd also mount some kind of holographic sight so I could see through it from a range of different shooting positions, so I don't want an A-frame front sight. I'm looking at barrels in the 9"-12" lengths; 10.5" seems popular.

I like the idea of the 7.62x39 for several reasons. I already have 2 guns so chambered, so I wouldn't have to stock a different caliber. It's cheap (which is mainly why I'm not interested in the .300 Blackout). Doesn't lose as much from a short barrel like a .556 does.

What are the pros and cons of the various types? I see Palmetto State Armory offers their version that accepts AK magazines. I came across this one on Gun Broker, but was wondering if special magazines are required. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/792754394
Old December 4, 2018, 04:12 PM   #2
AK103K

PSA has this on a daily deal. Good til tomorrow.....

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...165450183.html

A bit higher than your $3-400 range, but the gun is basically complete.
Old December 4, 2018, 06:35 PM   #3
the possum

Yeah. Pretty sure that's one of the same ones I was looking at earlier. What are the pros and cons of that one vs. the one I linked on Gun Broker?
Old December 4, 2018, 07:13 PM   #4
AK103K

Quote:
What are the pros and cons of that one vs. the one I linked on Gun Broker?
I think the one you linked uses AR type mags. The PSA gun uses AK mags, which I think would be a plus, especially if you already have an AK. It also already comes with a brace on the gun, which is a $100 item if you go with the "kit". Id also prefer to have the flash suppressor over the whatever it is they show on the other one.

Quote:
Given how well you now can customize an AK, I can't see any good reason to buy an AR style weapon chambered in 7.62 x 39, or if I'm missing something here, I welcome some education on the subject, beyond the old, "Because you can."
Ive had a number of AK's over the years, and still have one. They have always been a challenge to get decent gear mounted to them, and I still havent seen anything that really works better than the old Ultimak rails with an Aimpoint on them Ive had on mine since they both first showed up.

If you like the AR, and want the different caliber, which seems to be a popular thing these days, the PSA guns seems to have it covered. Id rather have the AK mags, as they are more readily available, and as long as they have things working OK with them. From what Ive seen over the years, the AR type mags for the 7.62x39 werent always that great, and they are basically proprietary and not so readily available.

When I first saw this thread, I went looking to see what was available and the PSA link was the first to show up. I actually almost ordered one right then too, but came to my senses.

I really dont need, or even want an AR in 7.62x39. I have a number of AR's configured just like that gun, but in 5.56, and they work great, and Im happy with them. I like my AK too, and find them fine pretty much as they are. With either of them, other than a good red dot, and maybe a light, I really dont add anything to them.

The biggest advantage to the AR's is the availability of good, functional stuff, that lets you pretty easily get what you want, without much drama. The AK's dont usually translate as well, and from what Ive usually seen, are people "trying" to turn their AK's into AR's anyway.
Old December 4, 2018, 07:34 PM   #5
the possum

I don't own an AK, so I'd be buying new mags either way. And I don't plan to get a whole pile of mags, either.

The AK receiver has always seemed needlessly huge and bulky to me. And I don't like the safety, especially on something that could be used one-handed.
Old December 4, 2018, 07:41 PM   #6
AK103K

The AK's safety/selector isnt really a big deal once you get to know the gun. It can be can be easily manipulated with the middle finger of the hand on the grip, so it isnt a "two-handed" thing.

I think the biggest problem for people who arent familiar with them is, they try to run them like an AR, or something else. You need to learn to speak and become fluent in AK.
Old December 4, 2018, 08:53 PM   #7
stagpanther

Unless you are wed you the idea of a 7.62 x 39 pistol (I assume you want compatibility with SKS ammo?) I'd take a look at a 300 black out pistol--probably much easier to shoot and very accurate with the right load.
Old December 4, 2018, 10:02 PM   #8
kenny53

You already have two guns chambered 7.62x39 so you have the ammo. The $299 price tag looks attractive. I think I know which way I would go. I hope you post a range report after you pick up the gun.
Old December 5, 2018, 05:25 AM   #9
JJ45

I was thinking the same thing and considered these three as they all have mostly excellent reviews.

Century Yugo PAP M92
Century Romanian Draco
Polish Lynx Pistol

All can be had stock for around $600.

What bothers me about these pistols is the blast level even with the available brakes you can attach to the muzzle. Recoil is fairly light but blast is horrendous IMO.
Old December 5, 2018, 09:31 AM   #10
JJ45

Quote:
Originally Posted by the possum View Post
I don't own an AK, so I'd be buying new mags either way. And I don't plan to get a whole pile of mags, either.

The AK receiver has always seemed needlessly huge and bulky to me. And I don't like the safety, especially on something that could be used one-handed.
I agree, I have mags for a PTR91, En Blocs for Garands and stripper clips for SKS...I'm getting minimalist as I get older and don't need another collection of semi-auto paraphernalia.

We have to keep in mind that the "AK" was originally designed to be FULL AUTO capable, more like a sub-machine gun and M. Kalashnikov never intended it to appeal to Western gun hobbyists.
Old December 5, 2018, 10:56 AM   #11
the possum

I can't say I'm a big fan of the AR in general. But when they're half the price of an AK, it gets the gears churnin'.

The one I linked to on Gun Broker has a flash hider, as well as some kind of bigger can thing that encloses it to direct muzzle blast away from the shooter. I've never shot one set up like that, but it seems to make sense.

Not interested in the .300 Blackout. While I do reload, my time is limited, so the option of grabbing some blasting ammo for 18 cents per round is appealing. Plus like I said, I already have 7.62x39 ammo for my SKS and CZ bolt action.
Old December 12, 2018, 05:52 PM   #12
smee78

I built an AR47 and love it. Super fun to shoot and east brass or steel ammo with out any problems, I even built a rifle to go with it. Finding good mags use to be a problem with this setup but now I use ASC mags http://www.ammosc.com/7-62-x-39/ with out any problems. If I already had an AK then I would likely go with one that also uses the AK mags.