The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 31, 2018, 09:12 AM   #1
MTT TL

FMK Firearms

Asking if anyone has experience with these pistols?

They seem to bill themselves as a cheaper Glock.
Old November 29, 2018, 02:14 PM   #2
Dubar

I've got the FMK 9c1 Gen2, had it since July 2018.

I have had no issue with mine, have all most 1000 rounds thru it now and it seems to be getting better each time I shoot it (or I could be getting better shooting it).

I originally got the DOA model, but hated the trigger. Ended up getting the 804 trigger and it made a world of difference. Think I finished with maybe $370 total after getting the upgraded trigger.

I really like the feel of the gun. Mine came in Burnt Bronze, wouldn't mind getting another in ODG. Even got a nice leather holster from FMK. I have 2 mags but would like to get at least 2 more.

I'd post photos but I either don't have permissions yet, nor do I have any online photo account, all I have is on my computer. Once I get permission I'll post some photos.

I doon't know what the FAT trigger is like, but I know the 804 trigger is superior to the DOA trigger, at least to me.
Old November 30, 2018, 03:28 PM   #3
tahunua001

I haven't been able to bring myself to buy one. I tried dry firing one in the store, the slide won't reset until after you completely release the trigger after firing. perhaps this is an isolated condition, but I don't see this going well while it is trying to chamber rounds, and seems like there would be unnecessary wear on the trigger sear where it catches.
Old December 4, 2018, 04:42 PM   #4
magnut

I have been watching these for a while as I like to throw support behind new American startups. Seems they have a couple different trigger systems. The DAO model offers second strike capability which I find interesting because not many stiker pistols offer that. Kind of neat.
Old December 4, 2018, 04:58 PM   #5
mr bolo

for around $20 more you can buy a SA XD9 a much better made firearm
Old December 4, 2018, 05:03 PM   #6
magnut

No doubt as the XD is well tested. No second strike though....also does have the curriosity factor.

I think the FMK would be worth it in the $250 range. I have no idea what the street price is.

One big concern for me is parts. Does the factory sell spare parts to keep on hand? Anyone know? Nothing on the website.
Old December 5, 2018, 01:31 PM   #7
Dubar

I shoot mine every chance I get and have had no issues with the gun yet.

I would post photos, but every one I've taken are a bit too big (by 44Kb) for this forum's rules and I haven't taken the time to resize them.

The gun feels great in my hand. I also have a Taurus PT709 Slim and like the FMK better, but it is a little bigger. I also have a HK Compact 45, which is a little bigger than the FMK and doesn't fit my hand as nice.

It took 150-200 rounds before the gun "worn in" but I'm finding that normal these days for any new gun.

I was going to shoot it today, but I called the range and they said it was crowded, plus it's snowing!!!
Old December 5, 2018, 01:39 PM   #8
magnut

Dubar, did your original trigger with the DAO have second strike capability?

When you bought the gun did it come with a parts list from the factory or perhaps in the manual?
Old December 5, 2018, 02:25 PM   #9
Dubar

Quote:
Dubar, did your original trigger with the DAO have second strike capability?

When you bought the gun did it come with a parts list from the factory or perhaps in the manual?
Yes, it came with the DAO trigger with 2nd strike. The pull on the trigger was too long, tht's why I got the 804 trigger.

There's an exploded diagram and parts list in the manual. Here's the link to download the manual:

http://fmkfirearms.com/firearms/pistols/

pages 26 and 31.

I think I resized some of my photos, let's see:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _52Howard's Loader.JPG (212.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg _54Howard's Loader.JPG (143.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg _67Howard's Loader.JPG (228.5 KB, 21 views)
Old December 5, 2018, 02:31 PM   #10
Dubar

Here's 2 more photos, 1 of the FMK and Taurus PT709, the other of the FMK and the HK Compact 45.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _53Howard's Loader.JPG (199.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg _56Howard's Loader.JPG (204.4 KB, 20 views)
Old December 5, 2018, 02:39 PM   #11
Dubar

Seems like, with the DAO trigger, the mag would not free fall out of the gun when I pushed the release, but with the 804 (and FAT) trigger it does. Might want to check on that as I swapped mine out soon after I got it.

FMK, from my experience, has excellent customer support, give them a call or email if you can't find the answers here.

If I was going to buy another 9mm, I would get another one of these, maybe in ODG.

I'm no "gun guru" by any means, I've owned guns since I was 13 (almost 55 yrs ago!), but just in the past 2 years have I had the urge to start shooting, mostly target and simply plinking. Nothing competitive and I get all my food at the corner Food Lion!!!

I've probably averaged once/wk at the range since June.
Old December 5, 2018, 03:08 PM   #12
magnut

I am Ok with mags not dropping free if necessary. Sometimes its an asset. I think you might have sold me on one of these. Only issue really left is if the company will sell me spare parts to keep on hand for maintinance.

The second strike is what draws me too this. I am a pretty big fan of the old sigmas/SD series and my only real problem with it is no second strike. I like the longer and heavier trigger pulls. Helps me concentrate more.

Also nice that its made in America.
Old December 5, 2018, 05:46 PM   #13
Dubar

The first time I fired the gun with the DAO trigger and had a cut on my trigger finger from an encounter with a sharp blade. It bothered me the whole time I shot. Thinking back, the DAO trigger may be fine if you like a long pull. None of my other pistols has a long pull so I opted for the 804.

I initially had a hard time with the slide release. I emailed FMK and asked if they had one that stuck out a bit more and they did. They sent it to me free of charge. Like I said, very helpful.

It's not a HK Compact for sure, there are some very faint mold lines on the gun, but they're nothing I find offensive and have nothing to do with the way the gun fires.

Grab-A-Gun has the black version for a good price, haven't checked the other usual places.

I kinda like the underdog companies. I have guns from Kel-Tec, Hi-Point, Taurus, and GSG (German Sport Guns), all have performed as advertised. Really like my Kel-Tec Sub-2000 Gen2!!!